My 2 brick forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I finally got around to making my new small, 2 brick gas forge. I used some Insulation Brick 23GD - 230 x 152 x 76mm, so a bit bigger than ordinary bricks. It's easier to do it in two halves, because you can carve the chamber out much more easily. I used a spoon,as the bricks are quite soft, and also used a rasp to finish. My blow torch is not a beast by any means but it does the job quite well. The fire cement has not cracked at all, so far anyway, but the bricks have developed a few cracks. I don't think they are much of a problem though.

Once carved, both halves of the chamber are lined with refractory cement, then attached together, simply by using garden wire. The joints between both bricks received some refractory cement too, that was a bit more difficult due to the relative narrowness of the chamber, but not too bad. Then I folded a sheet of aluminium around it to protect the soft bricks. Then I put the whole caboodle into the cooker's oven for a couple of hours to cure the cement.

I fired it today and forged a couple of blades out of some 3/8" Silver Steel . So far, I am very pleased with it: it gives out plenty of heat for small blades and I can use it inside my workshop, with the door open for ventilation of course! Until I can come up with a more imaginative maker's mark, I am going to stamp my initials JD on the blades.

DSCF4256.jpg

DSCF4258.jpg

DSCF4259.jpg

DSCF4287.jpg

DSCF4283.jpg

DSCF4292.jpg

I have put the whole thing on top of some more refractory bricks, to prevent any risk of scorching the bench. The outside of the forge does get warm but not too badly, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
lookin good,
never used a gas forge, let along a mini one like that.
how long does it take to get a good forging heat on those blades??
Loenja

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I haven't timed it, but just a few minutes. The blades are 3" and 2" respectively. The silver steel bar is 3/8" (9mm) diameter. I think there would be no problem making longer blades although I haven't tried yet.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hey jojo , that looks awsome.
you don't need anything bigger for one blade at a time.
i've got the gas & torch so when i need a forge i now know
just what to do ! perfect

cheers Craig.............

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
did you move the hole for the torch?

looks pretty good mate - where did you get the bricks?

cheers

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Yes, I have moved the hole for the blowtorch because I thought too much heat was concentrated in the middle and also because more of the flame/heat was coming out the front of the forge. Now, I think the heat circulates better inside and heats the metal more evenly, and more of it goes out the back hole rather than the front opening.

I got the bricks on line from: refractory bricks. The bricks are quite cheap. The postage though isn't!

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Good work Jojo. You've created something reminiscent of the Castree-type kiln (which I have as my HT forge) which would easily set you back £200!
If you need to increase temp for forge welding and the like, you could introduce forced air behind the blowtorch in the form of a hairdryer.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Good work Jojo. You've created something reminiscent of the Castree-type kiln (which I have as my HT forge) which would easily set you back £200!
If you need to increase temp for forge welding and the like, you could introduce forced air behind the blowtorch in the form of a hairdryer.

Now that sounds like something I may well try, possibly with a hot air gun! It may mean the hole at the back is not big enough, though, but it's worth a try and experiment. Thanks for the idea.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
How much was postage Jojo? Think this might be my Christmas project. - been wanting to get a gas forge up and running for a while now!

edit:- hmm Tenner eh? - you were right. - only marginally cheaper than some Kaowool.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
one last question - what fire cement did you use? and is it vital?

I think I'll be getting the 26GD grade brick just in case I get things too hot. - but I cant find a small amount of fire cement which will go to this high a temperature. - I can't afford to pay £25 for a 25kg tub - especially as I will only be using a fraction of this.

that said I don't know if I will be getting the forge up to 1400 degrees C anyway. - would the 23grade do the job? (1250 degrees)

any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Andy;
but I cant find a small amount of fire cement which will go to this high a temperature. - I can't afford to pay £25 for a 25kg tub - especially as I will only be using a fraction of this'.

Try a shop that sells wood-burning stoves/spares; they normally sell small tubs of fire cement (and heat proof glass/rope etc).
Hope this helps.

Basha

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Try a shop that sells wood-burning stoves/spares; they normally sell small tubs of fire cement (and heat proof glass/rope etc).
Hope this helps.

Basha

cheers Basha - I know a shop which sells some in town. Didn't get a chance to have a look today as I was held up on the SEM for my lab project.- but I shall have a look tomorrow. I have a feeling that it will be the 1250 degree stuff though. - but if that is all I can get without hassle then I'll go for it.

All the best

Andy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
The bricks I got are the 23G, which are the 1260 c. ones. I got a 1kg fire cement from my local DIY place. I think, although not sure, that B&Q sells the stuff too. I think it's probably not necessary, but, the bricks have cracked with the heat, whereas the refractory cement has not, so, all in all, I think it's worth the effort of using the cement. I only used just about 1/2 of that. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, missed looking at the thread! Don't forget to bake the cement in a cooker's oven at 100c for 2 hours before applying the flame to it, otherwise it burns and bubbles away! Don't ask how I know...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers Jojo.

I ordered the 26G bricks last night. - with any luck they will arrive this side of the new year. I wanted that bit extra just in case. I'll get some fire cement when I go home.

I'm quite looking forward to this little project. - should be great.

Are you getting a nice even heat?

All the best

Andy

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
that s great, does any one know any links to how to attach a handle to that sort of tang? or how to temper the steel if that is the right word?
josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE