multi tool or SAK for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which do you like best? (post replies with why)

• SAK for both EDC and bushcraft carry (BCC)

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • multi tool for EDC and BCC

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • SAK for EDC multi tool for BCC

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • multi tool EDC and SAK for BCC

Votes: 15 13.6%

• Total voters

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
SAK all the way.....
I EDC a Hiker or OHT/plain edge, with scary sharp convex edges.

I usually carry the SAK plus a fixed blade if I"m "bushcrafting" with the SAK for fine work; I like the saw blade for cutting dovetail joints and can't live without the toothpick!

I dislike multi-tools, they all seem clunky and awkward.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
Wow, let me think. My work EDC includes both an SAK (for the tweezers, toothpick, and can opener) and a Leatherman Skeletool (for the pliers and screwdriver bits), but for actual cutting I carry a Spiderco Endura 4 (I can open it easily with gloves on).

Of duty EDC is a Victorinox Farmer in the pocket, some sort of medium sized folder (think Benchmade Griptillian or SOG Trident), and a Victorinox Classic on my keys.

In the woods I carry a Victorinox Camper or Hunter, a Leatherman Wave, and a Mora.

I guess basically my answer is "both". Sorry I got long winded.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com

Just to upset the apple cart....

i'm not allowed to carry any kind of blade at work anymore, so my 'off duty' knife used to be a leatherman wave, but that's kind of bulky, heavy and obvious so i have started using an army clasp knife in a belt sheath as it's not so obvious that i am carrying a blade. For out in the woods i carry the clasp knife on my belt, and the leatherman (wave or surge) in my pack, usually along with a fixed blade such as a clipper or a scrade camp knife

:soapbox:

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well I carry a swiss army knife in my pocket all day, every day and that includes days when I'm out in the woods. I have never had a multi tool though so maybe if I had one, I'd like it more. I do like the idea of having a pair of pliers with me but I just don't really think I'd need almost everything else on it so I stick with the more basic swiss army knife because it does what I need, without a ton of extra weight that I don't.

I think of a swiss army knife like a pocket knife that has a few extra tricks but I think of a multi tool as a pair of pliers with a few tricks too many.

cst

Nov 20, 2007
mostly in my head
For me it is both. I never go out without my Leatherman Wave (unlike the other guy I have broken three too many Gerbers and had the same Wave since they came out) and I rotate pocket knives. My current EDC is the Wave of course and a Vic one handed Sentinel. I just can't get along without the tweezers and toothpic. The blade on the Vic is well made but for the heavier stuff my old Leatherman comes out. I assemble, operate, maintain and repair cranes and can say with no reservations that the Wave is no cutesy gimmick. When you have to climb a tower 120' with your tools on your back or a hand line it definitely pays to have tools that are capable of performing more than one function and for that the Leatherman Wave shines.

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Leatherman. One of the tiny ones in your pocket/on the keyring, and a bigger one in your pack or on your belt.

If you can't bodge the job with a leatherman, the job is probably completely unbodgeable.

Teno

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Argentina
I EDC a Pioneer or Camping, both from Victorinox.
On the trail, just add an scandi grind Boker.
Yesterday I buy a Soldier 08, but not pretty sure about EDC it,since it is a BIG knife...but like it :)

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Multi tool (swiss tool) for edc because it is more usefull (pliers) and is stronger.
SAK for bcc because the grip is much better for wood carving
although the swiss tool is locking though

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I recently bought a Swisstool having used SAKs for years. It was a toss up between a Leatherman and Swisstool and in the end I went with the Victorinox item as I was familiar and happy with the quality if the knives. It is a nice thing, about the same size as a Leatherman Wave.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Where's the "Too many acronyms" option?

I would like a SAK as an EDC but might prefer a SFA if the going gets tough, or maybe a SFA if the going gets really tough.

As a motorcyclist I had a bash on a YPVS but then got something with YICS before bombing that off to get something with SACS and another with KIPS:)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've sold all my multitools except my SOG Powerpliers (but only because I've engraved my service number on them so can't sell them). I have many SAKs but rarely carry them. I do find it convenient to leave a SAK in strategic places around the house, car, workshops etc. When out mountaineering or 'crafting I have a fixed blade knife, scissors and tweezers in my first aid kit, a small fid (marlin spike), army can opener and a homemade awl.
If the new leatherman Rebar had scissors however...

Last edited:

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
For me its my opinel #6 or 8 and my sog paratool with saw and V-cutter added for bushcraft and vic explorer for edc and my maxpedition organiser with paratool and bit drivers torch etc in my backpack when i have it,also the paratool is uk legal as doesnt lock,

P1010063-10.jpg

P1010056-53.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE