multi tool or SAK for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which do you like best? (post replies with why)

• SAK for both EDC and bushcraft carry (BCC)

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • multi tool for EDC and BCC

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • SAK for EDC multi tool for BCC

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • multi tool EDC and SAK for BCC

Votes: 15 13.6%

• Total voters

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My 10 year old gerber is always with me when at work or in the wood. The scissors, thin screwdriver now an awl :), and the pliers are a must. I use the pliers mainy for undoing knots, taking a hot grill from a fire etc. Never really got into SAK`s besides re-scaling and giving away as gifts.:eek:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I carry a Leatherman and farmer as my EDC. Always have a OH Trekker for 'shrafting, as the Leatherman is too urban for me :)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
SAK for EDC and BCC.
More from old habit than anything else, as I really like the Vic Spirit and use it quite a lot at home.
Maybe time to bring it along every now and again when out and about.
That won't stop me from still taking the old SAK though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I tend to have a Victorinox Farmer on me most of the time (it's the one like the Soldier but with a saw on it) but I keep a Leatherman Skeletool in my pack as a back-up/pair of pliers thing. I've never been a great fan of the Swiss Champ-type of knife - lots of gadgets, none of which work particularly well - but I reckon that the tin opener on all the Victorinox knives is utterly superb and not just at opening tins!

When out and about in the woods, both of them get overlooked and I use my fixed bladed knife for virtually everything. Does make me wonder why I carry them when out. I suppose it's habit. :rolleyes:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
If only one: Multitool - since pliers are handy for billycan lifting and rescueing pans from the fire. Snare wire construction is also easy with a multitool. But the alu sak gets carried along most of the time anyway.

-Emile

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Where's the NONE OF THE ABOVE option?

I stay away from the cutesy sweetsie wizz-bang new fad gimic-ie "toys". If I need a specific tool, I go get that specific tool for the task. The rest is just an exercise in frustration using an ... almost ... small flimsy knock-off of the correct tool.

A most of the time you don't need all those extra ... toys ... to lug along. Just extra dead weight.

But that's just my opinion.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

tom miller

Apr 21, 2008
Norfolk
I simply refuse to pay the rip-off UK prices for multi-tools.
Leatherman, for instance, recently closed the door to UKers buying their stuff from the US and making massive savings.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I simply refuse to pay the rip-off UK prices for multi-tools.
Leatherman, for instance, recently closed the door to UKers buying their stuff from the US and making massive savings.

Isn't that what ebay is for? I've bought a fuse, core and charge, all at less than half UK prices.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
First off, I don't like my multi-tool (leatherman PST II ?) or my SAK for bush use. However, I have carried my multi-tool more frequently.

If I think I need an SAK for some reason, I bring the Multi-tool instead.....pliers, file, enough bits and pieces that I can bodge something together.

D

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I prefer leatherman type multi tools. my main reason is that the tools lock, but also that it is easier to make the case that it is not intended as a wepon, when I carry it to and from scouts each friday. this is because it takes longer to open than a swiss army type. also I trust the saw more. (because it locks) finaly I prefer the weight of it (SAKs allways feel a little flimsy to me) on the other hand I do end up carrying annother knife aswell when I'm on camp (because it's such a wind up to open)

SAKs are far better for carrying in your pocket though.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I carry both a leatherman and a sak, the sak is always in my pocket, but on scout camps the leatherman is on my belt as its the most useful. Carving knives are in my pack for whiling away the first night of camp.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I stay away from the cutesy sweetsie wizz-bang new fad gimic-ie "toys". ...knock-off of the correct tool.

Nothing toy-ish or knock-off with this one. It's just a folding knife. ;)
Unless one doesn't need/like folding knives, that is... :)

SOLOF.JPG

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
10 year old Gerber with me every day, since my battletank days. Believe its a gerber 600, but honestly i haven't got a clue :laugh:

It still works wonders, even though the small screwdriver is now remade to work as an awl

Have broken 3 leatherman waves sofar, so no luck there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE