MSRs or Tilley lamps that run on diesel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It most certainly will, but if you get dipped by HMRC it's a £500 fine, vehicle impounded on the spot and a criminal record. I know because I got a home visit when I used B100 and they thought I was using red. It was scary!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
What gave them cause to think you were using red?

If you were at the side of the road faced with a walk of uncertain distance to the nearest petrol station and you had the option to drive to it by putting a couple of gallons of paraffin in your tank, what would you do?

Pass the popcorn... ;)

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
oh i see, when buying mine i chose the dragonfly for its ability to adjust flame, the whisperlite and XGK used to be non-adjustable (don't know about latest models)

The XGK has very little control, but it doesn't need it. It primary function is to melt snow at altitude and burn a multitude of fuels, not matter how low quality they are. I put some truly awful things through mine and it refuses to die.

It's a shame really the newer versions are much nicer ...

Sent from my  iPad Mini RD

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
What gave them cause to think you were using red?

If you were at the side of the road faced with a walk of uncertain distance to the nearest petrol station and you had the option to drive to it by putting a couple of gallons of paraffin in your tank, what would you do?

Pass the popcorn... ;)

The neighbours in the communal garage compound saw me filling up with 20 ltr barrels of YELLOW fuel. HMRC arrived one NIGHT (9pm) with 2 vans and a class 2 LCV with a portable lab on board and announced that if they found the smallest chemical trace (all fuel sold in Europe has chemical markers) of none road fuel in the tanks of my 4x4 and £30k motorhome they would be seizing both on the spot. They handed me a booklet with their powers which they might as well not have bothered with, as with "reasonable suspicion" they can enter ANY non dwelling if need be by force to seek evidence and they told me they could get a warrant for the house in under an hour!

It scared me witless, however luckily I had registered a a fuel producer about 18 months earlier and even paid tax on the biodiesel I had produced, so when there lab failed to identify any illicit fuel they stormed off saying that they would hear from me with a result within 12 weeks...I never heard from them again.

It was all perfectly legal but I was banned on the spot by SWMBO from using BD ever again. It really was not a nice experience, so what would I do?...I'd get my walking boots on!

xylaria

The neighbours in the communal garage compound saw me filling up with 20 ltr barrels of YELLOW fuel. HMRC arrived one NIGHT (9pm) with 2 vans and a class 2 LCV with a portable lab on board and announced that if they found the smallest chemical trace (all fuel sold in Europe has chemical markers) of none road fuel in the tanks of my 4x4 and £30k motorhome they would be seizing both on the spot. They handed me a booklet with their powers which they might as well not have bothered with, as with "reasonable suspicion" they can enter ANY non dwelling if need be by force to seek evidence and they told me they could get a warrant for the house in under an hour!

It scared me witless, however luckily I had registered a a fuel producer about 18 months earlier and even paid tax on the biodiesel I had produced, so when there lab failed to identify any illicit fuel they stormed off saying that they would hear from me with a result within 12 weeks...I never heard from them again.

It was all perfectly legal but I was banned on the spot by SWMBO from using BD ever again. It really was not a nice experience, so what would I do?...I'd get my walking boots on!
That is awful. What dreadful state bullying. It was probably because you registered. The nieghbour story is likely to of been made up, unless you know other wise. It can be part of the psychology of state intimadation that they will use the idea you are likely to reported by "good citizens" as a cover for how they gather infomation. Where I live good citizens put up hastyly written signs warning of fuel dipping check points and on coming cars flash to warn of the speed checks.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
That is awful. What dreadful state bullying. It was probably because you registered. The nieghbour story is likely to of been made up, unless you know other wise. It can be part of the psychology of state intimadation that they will use the idea you are likely to reported by "good citizens" as a cover for how they gather infomation. Where I live good citizens put up hastyly written signs warning of fuel dipping check points and on coming cars flash to warn of the speed checks.

No, I believe them. The previous day and that day there had been road checks at the top of our road one in each direction that we could have gone with dip checks being conducted. I'm okay with the why just not very happy about the actual visit though. They were visibly annoyed at not finding anything untoward.

Be careful of signs and flashing headlights- there's caselaw on that being "obstruction".

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread with my tale of woe!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Awful it may be, but it is nothing new nor uncommon. For all your 'good' neighbours there are just as many who will take umbrage if they think you're wrongdoing or getting something for nothing when they're not, and who might make an anonymous phone call to the authorities.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It most certainly will, but if you get dipped by HMRC it's a £500 fine, vehicle impounded on the spot and a criminal record. I know because I got a home visit when I used B100 and they thought I was using red. It was scary!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i had my peugeot pick-up dipped for red while i was lying in bed fast asleep, the vehicle was actually parked on a nearby pub car park with pub owners consent when it was dipped early one morning, neither myself nor pub owner knew anything about it at all until i got up and found an official letter pushed through my letterbox informing me i had been dipped, the vehicle was not and had never been filled with red diesel ever.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They seem to 'hit' my area from time to time, have a blitz on all sorts of vehicles, Heads of The Valleys road is a popular spot (or was). I do hear from time to time of local taxi's getting pulled and every so often a driver gets done...you must be really dumb to run a taxi on the stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE