MSRs or Tilley lamps that run on diesel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Probably candidate for dumb question of the day....

I've seen a few MSR stoves recently and a "tilley" lamp both saying they will run on unleaded (presumably petrol).

My wagon is diesel so stoves that run on unleaded don't have much pull for me.

I was really young when I used a parafin lamp and haven't seen the stuff in over 25 years. At the time I had no chemical genius for understanding the subtleties of the difference between parafin and diesel.

So.....

with no known call to have parafin around (or where you get it these days) are there stoves or lamps that run on diesel.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I'm not 100% but I'm sure the instructions with my MSR Whisperlite say it will burn diesel I've never tried it though. Others will be be to shed more light I'm sure.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
The MSR Dragonfly & XGK will both run on diesel, but they run "dirty" and need cleaning more than if run on other fuels.

The Whisperlite range don't as they don't get hot enough to vaporise the additives.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When I got my whisperlite international it was sold as burning diesel, different jet to petrol but that's the only difference, not tried it though.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
From first hand experience, Whisperlite, xgk and dragonflies all run on diesel with the correct jet fitted. I found they all were better (read cleaner) when primed on meths as it minimised the black sooty flame you get from priming on diesel or paraffin. I never tried Tilleys specifically on diesel but have run both stoves and Tilleys on heating oil in the past which is similar to diesel but slightly different viscosity I believe.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Current specification on the MSR website lists paraffin on some Whisperlite models, but not diesel. The Whisperlite won't combust everything properly and the ported jet will suffer. I've been selling them nearly 20 years and have never sold them as diesel burning. If you want to burn diesel you bought a XGK / Dragonfly.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Current specification on the MSR website lists paraffin on some models, but not diesel. The Whisperlite won't combust everything properly and the ported jet will suffer. I've been selling them nearly 20 years and have never sold them as diesel burning. If you want to burn diesel you bought a XGK.

i have an msr dragonfly about 16-18 years old, i still have the original instructional manual and it clearly states on my manual that 'diesel' can be used as fuel, i did try diesel some years ago and it worked but not as good as petrol, jet required more cleaning as more easily choked up, there are two interchangeable jets with the dragonfly for using different fuels, also when using diesel you need a seperate flammable substance to prime stove as diesel will not prime it. I have used my dragonfly for months at a time mostly on unleaded petrol without any problems.

To quote from my manual:- ''use the DG jet for white gas, automobile gasoline, and aviation gas / use the DK jet for kerosene, jet fuel, and diesel''.

as for Tillley lamps i have only used paraffin in mine.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Diesel is smelly gunky stuff that doesn't like being heated to vaporization. So is unleaded petrol. Paraffin is the way to go, you can carry huge amounts of cooking power with just a couple of litres.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Typed too quickly ...

I meant none of the Whisperlite models burn diesel. That fuel is reserved for Dragonfly and XGK's.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Diesel is smelly gunky stuff that doesn't like being heated to vaporization. So is unleaded petrol. Paraffin is the way to go, you can carry huge amounts of cooking power with just a couple of litres.

a 22 fl.oz/650 ml bottle filled with unleaded petrol lasts me exactly 7 days, that is without using it miserly and using normal cooking time foods not quick-cook varieties, if using quick-cook foods i could get another couple of days out of it, it works out at a cost of roughly £1 per week.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Typed too quickly ...

I meant none of the Whisperlite models burn diesel. That fuel is reserved for Dragonfly and XGK's.

oh i see, when buying mine i chose the dragonfly for its ability to adjust flame, the whisperlite and XGK used to be non-adjustable (don't know about latest models)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Probably candidate for dumb question of the day....

I've seen a few MSR stoves recently and a "tilley" lamp both saying they will run on unleaded (presumably petrol).

My wagon is diesel so stoves that run on unleaded don't have much pull for me.

I was really young when I used a parafin lamp and haven't seen the stuff in over 25 years. At the time I had no chemical genius for understanding the subtleties of the difference between parafin and diesel.

So.....

with no known call to have parafin around (or where you get it these days) are there stoves or lamps that run on diesel.

Stick with Paraffin bud, it's widely available in DIY stores sold as greenhouse heater fuel. It is also known as Kerosene and some places sell it as that. If you can get heating oil by the litre (you can near me) it is the 28 second stuff. The best lamps are the ex MoD Vapalux or Bialladin. Many stoves run on kero.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you're driving a diesel motor and you carry a can of spare fuel, you could swap the spare diesel for paraffin and thus have fuel for your Tilley. The paraffin would also get you home in a pinch.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If you're driving a diesel motor and you carry a can of spare fuel, you could swap the spare diesel for paraffin and thus have fuel for your Tilley. The paraffin would also get you home in a pinch.

It most certainly will, but if you get dipped by HMRC it's a £500 fine, vehicle impounded on the spot and a criminal record. I know because I got a home visit when I used B100 and they thought I was using red. It was scary!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE