Moving to Canada query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ive had enough and I want to move! lol

Just to get some figures down on paper, ive spoken to someone in Global Visas about a possible move to Canada, its not set in stone yet, but I wanted to see how it works. This is the info he gave me which I jotted down for a 'Short tem permit'

Shot Term Pemit - Work and Holiday
  • 8 to 12 weeks application turnaround
  • stay in Canada for 6-12 months on this permit
  • I have to show 2500 Canadian Dollars in my bank before going (£1900)
  • I can work and live anywhere
  • Costs £900+ VAT or if I did it today I could have it for £800+vat
Now ive worked in a call center, and this guy was giving me the 'hard sell' trying to force me to get the application through today, even after telling him twice I was only inquiring.

Before anyone answers im pretty much guessing that the application price is a rip off and I have just phoned the worst company in Visa applications??

Im new to this subject, so go easy. !!!

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Jesus christ, ive just gone through the motions of a 'Working holiday' application via the embassy, the same as what they offered on the phone.

2 pages of information, and some medical/crb checks and thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they want £900 for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! took me 2 sodding minutes!!

Ok a little bit more time to get the CRB back and a medical booked but for god sake, how on earth do they justify that.

Id have to provide them with the medical and detials anyway so I may as-well have filled it in myself.

Proves what a bit of legwork does these days

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
However you do it, don't burn all your bridges unless you're sure you will be OK with the change in culture. A friend of mine took his family out to Vancouver three years ago. House in Perthshire, Landrover and truckloads of furniture were all sold; wife, two teenage kids, a 20 foot container and even the dog all shipped out there; now they've had enough and they're going back to Scotland.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Have good read through the expat forum there is loads of people doing the same as you or have and can give advice .

http://britishexpats.com/forum/

Craig....

What he said!

We are almost there (I explained a bit about our story in the "Migrating to Oz" thread")

We went straight for PR via the federal skilled worker route. My wife is very thorough and does not miss a trick so we did it ourselves using that forum a lot and we have fantastic friends over in BC who got things moving from their end.

Its a long & sometimes soul destroying journey and even without any agent we have spent £1800+ just on the application.

You can drop me a PM if you like and I will have a word with herself and see if she can't give you some pointers although all her/our experience has been for PR via the FSWP. Try the official high commission website for the best info.

I am convinced its the life for us, we have met loads of ex-pats on our travels and they are very happy and supportive, it might all go nipples skywards but we have spent a lot of time there and had the introduction and seen life from the inside. Good luck, better to have tried and not liked that to wonder!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'm a Brit that moved over here 12 years ago and i've had 2 good mates move to Aus and another to NZ, best advice i can offer is think about why your doing it.

All 3 have moved back to the UK, but to be honest their goals and expectations were totally unrealistic.
They were expecting some sort of paradise where everything was better and they were very quickly disappointed.

The 2 in Aus said that many of locals were not interested in getting to know poms and although meant in jest they got very tired of the pom jokes and being poked fun at.
They also said they felt there was absolutely no culture over there apart from going out and getting drunk.

Being here for 12 years i've also seen many many ex-pats come and go and i recon i can tell the ones that aren't going to last very quickly now within a few mins.

I think if you go over with the mindset that it's going to be a experience and an adventure you'll stand a better chance.
You should also expect just as many problems as you experience in the UK, they'll just be different problems.

People tend to emigrate and have a honeymoon period of a few months, this is mainly because their outlook has changed for this period.
They tend to be more open and don't look for problems, after a few months though their personality tends to stray back into how they were before they left.
So they end up being the same person but in a different location.

If that person is moaner then they'll just become a moaner with a different view.

So don't expect to move thinking that it will give you more energy or it will jump start you to do things you don't currently do.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What have they got in Canada that we dont?

Except mozzies?

I have heard they are big on mozzie production in Canada.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
There might be some Canadians wanting to try out life in the UK...I wonder if there's some program out there where
you could swap lives for a year?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE