Expedition crew needed and where to post the criteria?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Hi guys Time is running dangerously low I need to get a this crew sorted before I can make applications for equipment sponsorship
but before I can apply for personal equipment I need the full team ready willing and able.
yet the team is not complete as yet.
we still need.
Someone with good medical training as we will be a fair way off the beaten track in fact there isnt a beaten track.
another person with dive master qualification.
and a maritime historian. on this one paper qualification is not vital but good working practice of 17th century practices and terminology is as there is document interpretation to do.

To give potential crew members an idea of what this trip is about.
The trip has two main objectives.

firstly to prove a man innocent of five charges laid against him which sent him to the gallows.
and the way we prove this is the location and recovery of items of both historic and intrinsic value.
this is an archeological venture. first and formost but because of the location it will give everyone on the team the chance to practice and hone their bushcrafting skills. time is running out so come on forward guys.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Sorry to be a wet blanket and please do not take offence if I have misunderstood your background and experience.

Point 1: if you recruit someone from the UK to appear on a TV program, dive and pay them - they are working so must have the appropriate HSE ticket- that is they are qualified to work underwater. I believe Chanel 4 fell foul of this many years ago (was resolved) and the old "scientific exemption" does not count. While you might get away with it being outside the UK (where is production going to be based? where is recruitment based? where is insurance going to be based? All this had a bearing and you really do not want a phone call from the HSE.

Second point - to have any credibility with Nat Geo - you really needed to have got the involvement of your Maritime Historian and if you are contemplating the removal of artefacts - a Maritime Archaeologist on board and part of the project before now. Anyone any good (unless you are very lucky) is unlikely to tag in at this late stage. While amateur hour makes (in the minds of some TV execs) for good telly- rarely are these projects as wing and a prayer as presented to the general public. Please bear in mind that the rules about disturbance of historical materials vary across the globe- but if you are to get people that are any good they will want assurance that you have got everything sorted correctly up front.

And finally - running a project at a remote location with 10 plus people is no small undertaking, This is not about bushcraft but expedition logistics - and your budget needs to match the task. If it requires airlifting in accommodation and work pods, power, compressors etc. then that is what you have to do. If you need a medic - there are good ones out there and this may or may not be the best way about recruiting. Also (and a number of projects have done this) if you have to take a TV crew along that changes the whole dynamics of a project. It slows things down, it changes priorities but it does often give you a chance of funding.

What I am trying to say is you may have a very good project, but do not rush at this stage - get the right people on board, get them to review your work and plans and by all means tie them with confidentiality agreements to protect your work. Nat Geo money is very competitive even for professional teams with a track record.
good luck

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
Seadog makes some very good points. I would add that you will also need a lot of permits from the host country.

I would also add that working with a TV crew is a right PITA. On my last trip to Sumatra I bumped into an expedition filmed by Indonesia's TV1. All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't part of their team.

I've been on an expedition with a nat geo photographer before. He was an interesting chap, but he did get in the way a lot.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
I see your point entirely and thank you for the advice.
Ive been working on this project for many years. and where nessesary stood on shoulders of renouned people to see over the wall.
yes nat geo funding is hard to get and i suppose finding a person who just want his or her share of any possible finds is easier than getting backing from a major concern.
Ive worked hard on this and would not want to go ahead unless i had every available scrap of paper licence and permit needed.
I dont take offence to helpful comments at all in fact i welcome them I majored in archeology in my early years and history has been my lifeblood.
Ive been on digs of all types but granted on dry land. well dry most of the time!!! the need for divers isnot guaranteed but I dont want to be out on a limb find out ive a need for divers and have have the right people onboard so to speak.
Although to me this is not about money I fully understand that to many people esessially in this day and age money is the prime motivator.
ive never worked with a film crew
and have no idea how to set up such an expedition
but what i do have is an enquiring mind and a lot of will power and persistance.
please rest assured before anyone sets foot outside their front door.
all the things which need to be done will be.
Thank you so much for your help and advice. it really is appreciated.
GB.

Sorry to be a wet blanket and please do not take offence if I have misunderstood your background and experience.

Point 1: if you recruit someone from the UK to appear on a TV program, dive and pay them - they are working so must have the appropriate HSE ticket- that is they are qualified to work underwater. I believe Chanel 4 fell foul of this many years ago (was resolved) and the old "scientific exemption" does not count. While you might get away with it being outside the UK (where is production going to be based? where is recruitment based? where is insurance going to be based? All this had a bearing and you really do not want a phone call from the HSE.

Second point - to have any credibility with Nat Geo - you really needed to have got the involvement of your Maritime Historian and if you are contemplating the removal of artefacts - a Maritime Archaeologist on board and part of the project before now. Anyone any good (unless you are very lucky) is unlikely to tag in at this late stage. While amateur hour makes (in the minds of some TV execs) for good telly- rarely are these projects as wing and a prayer as presented to the general public. Please bear in mind that the rules about disturbance of historical materials vary across the globe- but if you are to get people that are any good they will want assurance that you have got everything sorted correctly up front.

And finally - running a project at a remote location with 10 plus people is no small undertaking, This is not about bushcraft but expedition logistics - and your budget needs to match the task. If it requires airlifting in accommodation and work pods, power, compressors etc. then that is what you have to do. If you need a medic - there are good ones out there and this may or may not be the best way about recruiting. Also (and a number of projects have done this) if you have to take a TV crew along that changes the whole dynamics of a project. It slows things down, it changes priorities but it does often give you a chance of funding.

What I am trying to say is you may have a very good project, but do not rush at this stage - get the right people on board, get them to review your work and plans and by all means tie them with confidentiality agreements to protect your work. Nat Geo money is very competitive even for professional teams with a track record.
good luck

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Just a brief update.
Im sending off my application today for a ten person team expedition permit. from info ive recieved getting an expedition licence from our own gov is not to much of a pain in the neck. insurance companies which will reasonably cover such little adventures seem few and far between.
when i have these two in place I can then apply to the appropriate government dept of the said country for expedition permits. apparently though they have to have their own representatives on site. to make sure nothing is removed without. the approval of their historic records board. I expected this bit but it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE