said good bye to my best mate yesterday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Had to do it last week with my old boy barney 13year old lab had a final few steps around sniffing flowers :-(

4d629419-83a4-19db.jpg

Cuts deep brother , r.I.p Arthur sleep well .
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Reddo

Tenderfoot
I am very sorry to hear this - I know how it feels, and like alot of people have said, one of the hardest things to deal with. Our family dog died early this year. A brown border collie, he was a saint. My mother bought him as a young pup and brought him home, he grew up with us all (we were all reasonably young when he arrived). He was part of the family and just a few weeks ago my mother found some old family photos of the all the kids together, and guess whos sat inbetween us all in every shot = Yep, Jake - he was a huge part of our family and sadly passed away at 14 years old in my mothers arms. I think the worst thing about it all was that I could not say goodbye. But I know that dog lived a wonderful furfilled life.

Keep strong and remember that you gave him all the love and care he needed through out his life... As far as he was concerned - you were his companion from start until finish - he was never lonely and that in itself is really something :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
The great tragedy is dogs only tend to live around 1/7th as long as a human, so if you really love dogs you end up facing this kind of heartache several times in your life. The only way round it is to avoid having dogs, but I reckon that's too big a sacrifice to make.

I grew up in a family with lots of dogs and have been through this so I feel for you. My wife and I are looking at getting our first dog as a family - thinking of a Jack Russel or a Border Terrier to keep our mice under control. Hopefully the kids would be grown up before they'd have to face an event like this.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You've definitely done the right thing. Seeing dogs "managing" with whatever condition they have because owners think they are doing them a favour by keeping them alive, makes me very sad and is incredibly cruel. We all get a dog knowing full well that we will have to say goodbye. The brave thing to do is when the animal has at least some quality of life left. I personally don't think time heals the pain but it does smooth it over a bit. I still miss my Rottie from nearly 20 yrs ago.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Realy feel for you mate i had to have one of mine put to sleep last year i was in bits for quite a while. I can remember getting the phone call from the vets to say can you come down please shes taken a turn for the worse and we think it would be best to put her to sleep. She was only seven and upto a few days before very happy so it hit me like a tone of bricks i drove to the vets crying me eyes out feeling both angry and upset sure it was my fault some how, i even got out the van at one point shaking and full of rage. Abit strange but everyone handles things diferently.
I held her as they did it and she just looked at me constantly i still cant get over that now.
Good look mate it will get easier.
Im blubbing now

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I wasn't a dog man myself, though we had a family dog when I was a youngster, I had left home when his time came so wasn't so close...But any animal we care for is sorely missed when they go, whether that is a dog or a rabbit, a cat or a mouse, it has been a part of the family for either a short time or even longer when it comes to a dog.

No dog (or other pet) should be "replaced" because nothing can replace them, but we can, when the time is right get another one to look after and care for. So when the time is right and only you know when that will be, then go and give another dog a good, kind and loving home.

It is always hard saying goodbye, tomorrow is another day, not necessarily an easy one, but maybe one to reflect on all the great years you had with Arthur.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
ive had dogs and lost them its hard mate and i feel for ya but in time
you will get another and love it just the same good luck to ya
very sad

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Lost my Rufus as I had to put him down after 13 and half years. That was 3+ years ago on 11 November remembrance Sunday, being ex-RAF it was a fitting day. He had internal bleeding. It must of been the pain killers he was on after years of having major hip displacement, but he soldiered on. Rufus was daddy's dog. Not cried for many a year, but I cried that day. Lasted about a year without a dog, but it was just not the same coming home to a house without a dog to meet and greet you. Never forget Rufus but our new lab was a rescue dog and needed a home, got him when he was 8, ex gun dog so it was time for some tender loving care. He's my wife's dog, does not need a lead, well behaved. Never forget my old boy Rufus, but giving a dog a home makes it all good. If you love dogs then give one in need a home. Never forget the ones you have loved and lost but please know other dogs will love and thank you for giving them a chance and a loving home.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
im blown away by the replys from everyone its what makes this forum amazing
its the little things im missing like been met as i walk through the door and lying on the couch together
like vizsla said the worst memory i have is him wanting to leave the vets room and him looking at me as he went to sleep.
i hope one day i will feel ready to get another dog but will be a while in to the future but when the time is right it will be a rescue as a kind of honour to arthur who i could never forget or replace

thank you everyone, listening to people who have been through the same thing and have had the same emotions has really helped

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE