Moulding leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Having seen (and bought ) those nasty mask things in Portugal and seeing some of the fine leatherwork you chaps do,I have a question.
How do I mould leather to the shape of something, the ultimate aim is to glue it to the item once it is sufficiently stretched and moulded.

So how far will leather mould ?
How thick does it need to be ? I would assume too thin and it would split.

If you overdo it can it be shrunk back into place ?

Probably all silly questions to the experts ,but I would really like some advice.

GS

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
To mould leather, you need to have something to mould it over. So if you want to make a mask, you would need to either use an mannikin head, or you could use your own face, I suppose, but that could be a bit tricky! It would need to be a veg tan leather, I'd say 1.5mm should be a good thickness, for a mask. If you want to make a square pouch, you would need to make a square block of wood to the shape and size you want and mould the wet leather on it and let it dry before you can work on it. A good thickness would be from 2.5 to 3.5 mm veg tan.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
No its not a mask.

I should have given more info,its a Harley dash that I would like to cover in leather so I need to mould it to the shape and then glue it to the steel of the original dash.

Probably sounds a bit loony but if I can get this to work it will look awesome and will be another item finished so I am back on the road for spring.

GS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE