Leather help.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everyone, i have been having a clear out ,with all the rubbish that gets thrown into the cupboard under the kitchen sink. I came across a piece of leather, but it is cover'd in grey mould. I would like to use it to have a go at making a sheath / pouch / container for my Svord peasant knife. What would be the best way to kill the mould without damaging the leather. I was thinking about a mild solution of bleach, but as it is dye'd black i don't know if this would be a good way to go. Or should i just throw it and get a new piece. Any suggestion would be good. By the way it is veg tanned.
Regards Chris.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
This is no professional reply, but if it were me, I'd try drying it on a radiator, brushing with a stiff brush, washing with sponge and warm soapy water and drying with heat again, then maybe applying a little wax polish/boot polish.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Do not dry leather with anything other than gentle warm air.
Think how you dry wet leather boots or gloves.
Once it goes mouldy and starts smelling you have an almost impossible job to make it smell nice again.
Not a professional reply here either, but I have made a pair of celtic shoes years ago. They were put away for a long time and became realy mouldy and smelly. Nothing I did made any difference to the smell. I did get them clean and shiny looking again but just couldn't shift the smell.
I'd get a new bit of leather for your project. If you are going to go to the effort of making something you want to have decent materials to work with or you will be dissopointed with the result.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE