Motor bike test need advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok of the 7 guys I know that ride bikes not one has suggested that my life would be anything other than fantasic if I got my test sorted and got some two wheeled transport.

I've had my car license since I was 17 and now after 20 years of cars I want something different.

I don't know where to start.

Ideally I want to walk into a test station today and leave with a bike test and take delivery of the Harley tomorrow but I'm guessing it ain't as easy as that.

I guessing for lessons and the test I'm not going to get much change out of 500 quid from what I've been told. As I'm a big bloke I don't fancy tooling round on a 125cc much either.

Recommendations, advice or a finger pokey in the right direction would be great.

Oh and if you've got a Harley you fancy trading for a kidney (well used), gonad (not so well used) or half a liver (spanked remorsley since I could see over the bar) then PM me.

Cheers me dears.
:cool:

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Ok of the 7 guys I know that ride bikes not one has suggested that my life would be anything other than fantasic if I got my test sorted and got some two wheeled transport.

I've had my car license since I was 17 and now after 20 years of cars I want something different.

I don't know where to start.

Ideally I want to walk into a test station today and leave with a bike test and take delivery of the Harley tomorrow but I'm guessing it ain't as easy as that.

I guessing for lessons and the test I'm not going to get much change out of 500 quid from what I've been told. As I'm a big bloke I don't fancy tooling round on a 125cc much either.

Recommendations, advice or a finger pokey in the right direction would be great.

Oh and if you've got a Harley you fancy trading for a kidney (well used), gonad (not so well used) or half a liver (spanked remorsley since I could see over the bar) then PM me.

Cheers me dears.
:cool:

Hi, To start with you need to take your CBT test, It's only a day course just to prove your able to ride safely on the road. Next you can can go for a restricted licence that means you can only ride a bike less than 33 bhp, But if you go for your direct acess licence you can ride anything you like, just don't go buying a plastic rocket as a lot do and end up in a dry stone wall riding like they stole it.
Motorbikes are not all fun fun fun if it's your only transport like mine was for years, Riding in winter is hard work, never bothered me to much but i know some people who have spent a fortune taking their test and buying a bike and all the gear only to realise the first time it rains on them that they don't like it anymore lol.

As for money yeah it will cost you around £500 for a course depending on how long it is (three day or a week) depends really how well you pick it up. I did a three day course and found that to be ok for me.

Last bit of advise DONT GET A HARLEY !!! get a Jap bike as most of them are bullet proof

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Last bit of advise DONT GET A HARLEY !!! get a Jap bike as most of them are bullet proof

I guess thats your cards being marked then Treetop!

Harley owner and proud for the last 18 years - I used to get so far up the nose of a fellow club member who rode GS1000's & GSX1100's, that he now rides a V-rod!

Lastly - sorry Muddyboots - you ain't getting it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
....Yup!, I'm not saying Harley's aren't bullet proof....I just need some ammunition and I'd love to find out!...Brit bikes are ok though (triumph) as mine has reached 11 years without trying to eat itself.
If you are the type who want to go and get muddy then a small (ish) single cylinder trail bike like a Suzuki DZ400 or Honda xr400's would suit a first timer both on and off road, I find single cylinder four strokes to be the most friendly of engines (although a little limited for long road journeys, but perfect for inner cities and off road)

Thing is although the folks who I’ve seen learn to ride and pass their test, all seem to find there first bikes all to 'powerful and scary'...that soon goes over the next week and then they hunger for BIGGER FASTER QUICKER LIGHTER, all in all I just recommend getting a bargain/cheap second hand bike as your First....then you'll get to know how much power you want/need for your given activities and what riding position you are comfy with....Bikes are like Partners.....the World is full of them....some feel totally right...others totally alien....some will last you a life time....others prove to be high maintenance and run off with all your savings.....

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Bikes are fantastic in fantastic weather. Not so great in wet/cold but then that's just part of biking. You get to FEEL where you are going on a bike - a bit like sleeping under a tarp rather than in a tent.

There's no quick and cheap solution to learning Muddy Boots - either quick OR cheap.

I agree with Mojoracinguk that it's a good idea to get a cheapish first bike and you'll soon realise what you really want/need. I find that people often don't know what they do want until they have what they don't want!

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Do the three day course with the test at the end of it. You already have road sense so it is just the bike handling to concentrate on. I have heard the CBT has got much harder but should be ok. The most important thing to concentrate on is switching the indicator off after turning. it is not automatic like cars which you get used to. Oh and don't forget to lean at the corners :)

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
VRod has self cancelling indicators... as a rider in the west coast of Scotland you know it's going to be wet on a bike, so get used to it or get the train or bus!
jon
Triumph tiger

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Cheers guys.

I can't see a reason not to take it at the moment. My house resembles a 1970s VW garage with various beetles and campervans. I got my truck for the bad weather but as my daily commute to work is only between 9 and 15 miles of fairly quiet roads a bike seems like a winner to me.

I can put my hands on a bike or two to learn on and i know the pipe dream is a big V twin at some point but I guessing a daily hack is the way forward to learn sense and skills.

J

Jus1

Your friends are right :D - ..though after 24years in the saddle ( 21 of those without ever driving a car!) I recently gave up and am enjoying the life of a "cager" ;)
I believe you can take a "Direct Access" course as Skate indicated .. and not on a 125cc but on a 500! - is not the size of the bike but the BHP - you're limited to 33bhp to start with ... but ANY bike can be fitted with a restriction kit.. so you can ride a 2ltr bike if you wanted to... not to sure if the 33bhp will effect you though... age and car test in hand - .. when I took my car test a couple of years ago, I didn't need to do a theory - just the practicle .. this because I had been a road user for XX years.

Call your local centre, they'll tell you what is and isnt applicable and how to get it done sharpish.

As for bikes and makes... to me, they are like women - some guys like legs, some like bums ;) .... some like a "Vtwin" and some an "inline 4"!

Actually selling my wife's VL800 at the moment ... still have a "Chop" but needs rewiring and it's an "i'll get round to it sometime" thing!

I have found that you can buy 2 bikes same model same year same size etc .. but ONE speaks to you more than the other!!

... it's a passion, it'll get in your blood!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
I guess thats your cards being marked then Treetop!

Harley owner and proud for the last 18 years - I used to get so far up the nose of a fellow club member who rode GS1000's & GSX1100's, that he now rides a V-rod!

Lastly - sorry Muddyboots - you ain't getting it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

:rofl: Sorry (not really):)
I just think a motorbike should be nippy and handle well in the corners and not feel like i'm riding a lazyboy armchair down the road, When you get in traffic on one they feel so big and clumsy.
But thats just my opinion i know people love em to bits.

For a first bike i'd go for something like the suzuki sv650 great little bike good handling for a learner.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Been in the saddle for 30 years and say GO FOR IT!! All the advice above is good, and Direct access is the way to go these days. I will say for your first bike get a reliable "beater" coz you WILL drop it and you won't want to see all that lovely big cruiser chrome scratched up. I've ridden everything from 125's to a rocket 3 and for a first bike for a big bloke why not get something like a Honda Africa Twin 750
xlv750.jpg

Made to be dropped, good on and off road with decent tyres, legendary Honda build quality and big enough for a large fella so ya don't look like you're sat on a monkey bike.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Been in the saddle for 30 years and say GO FOR IT!! All the advice above is good, and Direct access is the way to go these days. I will say for your first bike get a reliable "beater" coz you WILL drop it and you won't want to see all that lovely big cruiser chrome scratched up. I've ridden everything from 125's to a rocket 3 and for a first bike for a big bloke why not get something like a Honda Africa Twin 750
xlv750.jpg

Made to be dropped, good on and off road with decent tyres, legendary Honda build quality and big enough for a large fella so ya don't look like you're sat on a monkey bike.

Thats good advise about getting a bike that can take a drop or two because it will happen, I had a XR650 a great big thumper, sounded great, it could make children cry at 100 yards lol :nono:.

Dropped it a couple of times and never broke a thing just picked it up and dusted it off. Only problem was no electric start and thats a big engine to kick start in the cold. But the Honda Africa twin 750 is perfect a very very solid reliable bike.

D

Deleted member 7976

DO IT :D

Best way with your age and road experience would be the direct access which allows you to ride anything. If you do it on a 125cc you are restricted to 33bhpfor 2 years (probably enough for a Harley though rofl).

It will cost a bit, as you have to train and take the test on a more powerful machine, which is usually 500-650cc. You can't ride this alone so have to pay for the instructor to be with you all the time. The motorcycle test also changed last year which will probably complicate things. Expect it to cost £500-£1000.

Then there's all the gear to buy (yay more gear). Gear can be cheap (even Aldi sell it) or expensive but like most things you usually get what you pay for. Whatever you go for I can't recommend strongly enough spending as much as you can afford of a decent lid. Fit is THE most important factor and varies widely between brands, but after choosing a selection that fit the more expensive ones will generally have less fogging issues at low speed than cheap ones, especially in the rain in temperatures close to freezing. A good selection these days come pre-fitted with pinlocks which are very very good.

Don't get a Harley. Honestly. They are underpowered, handle poorly, are unreliable, overpriced and so "big faceless corporation" these days they are the opposite of what biking is about. If you really want a big shiny American V-twin buy a Victory - now those things are sweet :D

Whatever you buy know this: You will drop it, you will bin it down the road and you at some point be knocked off by a car. If you think otherwise you have no business getting on one. But it's worth it :D

Ride safe.

Colins VFR.jpg

PS that's my current baby minus my "upgrades". I don't have a car, just ride the bike every day. The only thing I have to work out is once I get a tentipi, how I'm going to fit the stove on lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
DO IT :D

Best way with your age and road experience would be the direct access which allows you to ride anything. If you do it on a 125cc you are restricted to 33bhpfor 2 years (probably enough for a Harley though rofl).

Don't get a Harley. Honestly. They are underpowered, handle poorly, are unreliable, overpriced and so "big faceless corporation" these days they are the opposite of what biking is about. If you really want a big shiny American V-twin buy a Victory - now those things are sweet :D
Got to agree, go for direct access. B...U...T
Don't get a HARLEY!:yikes: Get a Victory. Rubbish!!!!!!:sulkoff: I do suppose you want your new bike to hold it's value?:35:
A Victory is just another Harley copy :nono:(The main UK Victory dealer is in my hometown so I have rid all of the models as I have all of the Harleys (except a 1903 model) from an ironhead to all of the 1450's. If you want it to look, ride and sound like a Harley just buy a Harley.:cool:
If you want to see the new 1584cc Dyna, have a look in the new BMF mag.
If you want a crutch rocket buy a Blackbird or what ever the go faster nutter bums are riding these days.:borgsmile
Oiy loike me lisense I does.:sadwavey:
(Been on several crutch rockets as well as I used to be a go faster nutter bum and test rided most in the club)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK

We all wanted to do that and when I took mine you nearly could. Just booked up and went for it. Walked out with the bit of paper and got the biggest nuttiest fastest thing out there that you could afford. In the 70's a Harley could be had new for £300 (sob, sob).

You're at the point when most born again bikers come back into it. Get what you want as you'll regret it in the long run (ask all the Harley Sportster owners)
I've got a Harley Heritage Softtail (1990) and a 1500 GoldWing (1989) but then again I am a greedy git (he,he,he):)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Your friends are right :D - ..though after 24years in the saddle ( 21 of those without ever driving a car!) I recently gave up and am enjoying the life of a "cager" ;)
I believe you can take a "Direct Access" course as Skate indicated .. and not on a 125cc but on a 500! - is not the size of the bike but the BHP - you're limited to 33bhp to start with ... but ANY bike can be fitted with a restriction kit.. so you can ride a 2ltr bike if you wanted to... not to sure if the 33bhp will effect you though... age and car test in hand - .. when I took my car test a couple of years ago, I didn't need to do a theory - just the practicle .. this because I had been a road user for XX years.

my recent (circa a couple of weeks ago) DVLA leaflet that came with my provisional doesn't say either way. but I would be supprised if you did need to re-take the theory, since you are just adding annother class onto your licence (anyone start driving a truck recently? or coach? that might give us a better idea)

I've got my BCT tommorow. hopefuly I'll be riding my own 125cc by the end of the month!

Biker

Hiya,
Just chipping in my tuppence worth here.

Go for the tests described above, the money investment is worth it and that open road feeling is priceless in comparison. I envy you that experience. I was 16 when I started riding bikes and have been riding daily since then, I'm 48 now. Working from home for the the past 5 years has greatly reduced my two wheeled activity, though I get out when I have a destination worth traveling to without my tools.

As for the Harley idea. Like has been said about women, there are all sorts out there, if the Harley dream's your "thang" then go for it, but I would recommend finding a Harley garage that offers test rides on machines. My brother does that regulary and had this dream of wanting a Harley, that soon died once he'd been on one for a 30mile test ride.

No disrespect to any Harley owners out there, if you like farm machinery then who am I to judge? :lmao: I had a mate who fitted a Massey Ferguson sign to the front of his Harley. Oh the irony. :togo:

Just to reiterate what's been said already. Buy a cheap small CC'ed runabout which you can practice dropping often and picking up again without too much heartache when you seen the engine casings getting scratched and the injected Japanese gold they use in their plastics get cracked. (it ain't cheap to replace) Buying your dream bike from day one is a big mistake.

Expect to get wet, cold, have near misses, become a target for myopic Volvo and taxi drivers. But the pros outweigh the cons. You just need to keep reminding yourself of that when you feel your toes sloshing in the water inside your boots or the snow thawing on your chin as it's built up against your chest.

Buy one of those armoured jackets, as Leathers look great but times have moved on since then. Invest in a good lid and ride with the lights on too.

One thing I will say that is very depressing. Too often middle aged riders take up the "craft" and think that because they have the training they therefore have the skills that come with it. Riding a bike isn't quite like that, it take time to build up certain skills most riders take for granted now. In a car you simply drive but on a bike you ride defensively always aware of what's going on around you. Whereas others just ride like they're late for their own funeral and find they get there just in time.

Helmet and leathers or body armour are the last line of personal protection equipment. Your best defense is what's between your ears. Use it.

Don't be a statistic.

Here endeth the sermon. Sorry I did seem to blather on a bit.

All the very best of luck and "See you on the road Skag!"

If you do invest in a Harley or an old british bike, please show some consideration for other road users and wipe up the oil drips before moving off. Thenkyoop. :lmao:

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Nicely said Biker.
I may have said several things below (all tounge in cheek of course) but your right. Be prepared for dings etc
I used to be a leather head but after coming off with an oilskin typey thing on, I'm a convert to other materials too. Keep the shiny side up as they say. in the wet

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
I took my test a few years back, and I suppose that taking it was the next 'goal' for me after I had finished Uni at 48. Now I ride every day, I have 5 bikes in total including a 650 thumper, and riding is totally addictive. Ok, you will get wet in really bad weather, and you might get cold if you're caught out, but most modern stuff will keep you warm and dry when you need it to, and nothing compares to riding along standing up on the pegs of a loaded bike as you ride into a really strong headwind. My next big goal is a long distance trip, think Newcastle to Melbourne, and this is going to be my focus over the next few years :)

All I can say is "go for it"!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Just a thought on restrictors. My wee 400 when I bought it was restricted to 59bhp for the japanese market. That was only scrubbing off 10bhp or so but the way it cropped it off the top of the rev range.......

Don't really know how to word it. What I'm getting at is that a large engine restricted to a power limit isn't as much fun as a smaller unrestricted engine producing the same power.
It had a worrying trait of feeling like it could perfom a maneuver then running out of steam. The restrictor narrowed what was already a narrow power range and you were constantly short-shifting to avoid hitting the drop-off so you weren't even getting the best use of the power it was leaving you.
The problem was that the restrictor drop-off was much harsher than the way the power normaly peaks and tails off. It felt more like backing off the throttle than just running out of go when you hit it.
It was ten years ago though, restrictors might be more refined these days.

I know a guy who ran a Yamaha XT350 for a while. They're under the 33bhp limit, struck me as a very sensible first roustabout and for all they're an old design they're still more than capable on the dirt.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE