Mother Nature? Oh, please......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Am I alone, or does anyone else actually dislike the anthropomorphication of "Nature"? Its simple evolution folks, on a species by species basis. THere is no concerted plan, just what increases the chances of survival. Bambi doesn't really speak, and if there really were a Mother Nature, she'd be locked up for life for cruelty to animals!

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Andy, you been sampling some of that Hong Kong stuff again? :D how can i tell the grandkids animals cant talk ?? its the staple diet while growing up, were you locked in the cellar? ... ahh, that would explain it :lmao:

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
:) Fairly simple really. Ignorance is not bliss, its just ignorance!

That doesn't mean that the wild, and the animal kingdom, cant be awe-inspiring and amazing, and I'm all for kids enjoying Tom and Jerry, and the Easter Bunny. But lets not let fallacy replace the real truth of things. That way lies all sorts of disasters based on false logic and misunderstandings.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you mean the entirety of Nature, Andy ? or the individual species kind of thing ?

I have no issues with Mother Earth or Mother Nature (apart from a certain cringeworthy tweeness) as conceptual phrases for the planet/ the life upon it, but I have real issues with soft toys and 3D images of individual animals/birds, etc., I have this horrible feeling I should be feeding the blasted things :rolleyes:

Bambi is a horrible film to watch, emotion wrenching mince, tbh. Disney isn't for the faint hearted....look at the violence it portrays, and yet the characters just get up and do it all again.
At the end of the day a dead deer is just dinner.............well, if you eat meat, iimmc.

Don't think I'm quite in tune with the OP somehow, I think I need a little more explanation.

cheers,
M

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Even cutting out all the cuddly modern fluffyness and trendiness, to deny Mother Earth treads on some people's profound genuine beliefs..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, I'm with you Andy.

Talking pigs, foxes being friends with rabbits - yeuch.

The worst though, the very, very worst is people who address their pets as "my baby" and proclaim how much the animal "wuvs dem". Oh - in a treacly voice too.

Its so nauseatingly cringeworthy as to induce spontaneous upchucking.

They are animals. They don't wuv or even love you. They do see you as a food source and even as a pack mate. Just maybe as the alpha. But they do not love you, they do not need bows in their hair, pet names or bleeding christmas presents to unwrap. They are NOT a family member - they are a possesion, an item of livestock, a companion even - but not human. I do wish these people had a tighter grip on reality.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They are animals. They don't wuv or even love you. They do see you as a food source and even as a pack mate. Just maybe as the alpha. But they do not love you,

Treading on thin philosophical ice here Red - what is love? Do kids love there parents? Or deep down is it a need for food and protection? Does a dog that greets it's owner and noone else by wagging it's tale show affection? Or is it merely recognising the hand that feeds it.

What is Love?

(Baby don't hurt me...) etc.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Even cutting out all the cuddly modern fluffyness and trendiness, to deny Mother Earth treads on some people's profound genuine beliefs..

That pretty much sums it up right there:) superstitions that replace science through bad education....................

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah no, it's not simply a 'religious' construct; it's a scientific one too. We are of this Earth, we live on this Earth, all that we are returns to this Earth, and even if we eventually reach the stars in any significant emigration, this Earth is still our roots.

cheers,
M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That pretty much sums it up right there:) superstitions that replace science through bad education....................

OK - hugely playing Devils advocate here (and hoping that because were addressing why people believe in things not any particular religion itself this will make it through) but....

You believe in the science right, you have "Faith" in it - but have you done all the experiments yourself? Do you understand all the empirical Data?

One may say you take a lot of what the "Scientists" say in trust because you "Believe" and have "faith" that it's been proven..... you haven't possibly got the time and energy to try and reproduce all the experiments yourself.

Now replace Scientist in the sentence above with "Bishops", "Popes", "Church", "Druids" etc.

No point getting frustrated about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE