Mother Nature? Oh, please......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ah no, it's not simply a 'religious' construct; it's a scientific one too. We are of this Earth, we live on this Earth, all that we are returns to this Earth, and even if we eventually reach the stars in any significant emigration, this Earth is still our roots.

cheers,
M

Actually every single piece of us originates in the stars - we're essentially stardust. The stars forge all of the elements in the universe. (apart from Helium, Hydrogen and lithium and the ones we've made by experimentation which may or may not exist in nature)

Given that we're all the decaying remains of stars, this smacks of maggots debating philosophy on a corpse

What he said

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I do understand where you're coming from, attributing human consciousness and a sense of purpose to nature is a bit strange as there there isn't one thing controlling it all. However the forces of nature coming together is such a seemingly random and often incomprehensible thought it's often easier to think of as one organism :) I don't mind people calling it that if it makes them feel happy, secure or comforted.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
A big problem with behaviour issues is that people tend to think of the dog as a child so when he is bad, they say no, you can't, because(and they start explaining) or even worse they hit them. (Which is stupid IMHO)

Dog ownership isn't about love but I think you can definately develop a certain relationship with your dog:)

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
aimed at no one in particular, does it really and i mean really matter if someone chooses to believe in or about something that 'science' cannot validate...yet? i mean c'mon folks were only here for a blink of time, why try and browbeat someone for thinking differently.? you can argue your corner untill your blue in the face, but does it really matter? peace man :240::D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But it may have happened elsewhere simultaneously - once we were a tribe, then an island, then a continent, now a planet...

next stop Galaxy. Just parts of a bigger machine.

I can't see why others, on other Earths, haven't evolved too.
However, they aren't us, on our Earth :D

It's not Faith, it's Knowledge.

M

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never really considered the 'Mother' part of 'Mother Nature' anthropomorphic.

We often refer to a warm jacket in winter as a "mothership", I don't think we are anthropomorphising a coat ( longest word of the day, I need to go and lie down now).

I suppose it comes down to what we understand the word 'Mother' to mean.

Dictionary entry on mother.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A big problem with behaviour issues is that people tend to think of the dog as a child so when he is bad, they say no, you can't, because(and they start explaining)

Exactly - a dog is a dog - it responds to dog input - not human input

Dog ownership isn't about love but I think you can definately develop a certain relationship with your dog:)

Of course you can - in much the same way that a blackbird can with a rabbit. But its not love.

Toddy said:
You don't like cats, do you BR ? :D

I didn't mention cats Mary - insightful that you brought them up in the context though :D

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I can't see why others, on other Earths, haven't evolved too.
However, they aren't us, on our Earth :D

It's not Faith, it's Knowledge.

M

I was using sentience as the defining collective, not species, or race... at the moment we see it as "our" earth - but in the future the Earth could be to us as the UK is now to the Earth... "We" could be defined by our Galaxy and the sentient beings therein.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mother nature is real just like santa and my dog wuvs me lots.

Seriously though there are some people who look to animals as replacement family members or friends and as long as the animal doesnt suffer because of it who am i to argue. I do hate these pocket or bag sized dogs that are bred to be fashion accessories though.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My dog is my almost constant companion. I love him. As for him, I seem to be the person he most wants to be with in the world. That's good enough for me.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about belief and certainty. How can we be certain of anything in this universe we know so little about?

The term Mother Nature doesn't offend me at all. Nature is, after all, where we all came from.

Andy, how does the Gaia thesis strike you?

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Treading on thin philosophical ice here Red - what is love? Do kids love there parents? Or deep down is it a need for food and protection? Does a dog that greets it's owner and noone else by wagging it's tale show affection? Or is it merely recognising the hand that feeds it.

What is Love?

(Baby don't hurt me...) etc.

Interesting - I sometimes ponder this sort of thing re our cat. He most definitely hangs around because we feed him. However, he will also come and sit with me because he (presumably) just feels like having a bit of company. I'm aware he's a cat, so doesn't have human emotions. I often wonder what he makes of my partner and I (giant non-furry cats, perhaps?), and exactly what is going on inside his head*

*N.B. it won't be very much as he's thick as two short planks

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Am I alone, or does anyone else actually dislike the anthropomorphication of "Nature"? Its simple evolution folks, on a species by species basis. THere is no concerted plan, just what increases the chances of survival. Bambi doesn't really speak, and if there really were a Mother Nature, she'd be locked up for life for cruelty to animals!

just to get back on track, i agree. i dont humanise animals or their behavior, they are either companions, food or something to be marvelled at. ... but i do believe in fairy's :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting - I sometimes ponder this sort of thing re our cat. He most definitely hangs around because we feed him. However, he will also come and sit with me because he (presumably) just feels like having a bit of company. I'm aware he's a cat, so doesn't have human emotions.....

What do you make of the studies that show dogs grieve over dead owners or mates? What about the elephants that carry the bones of their dead with them as the migrate?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My dog is my almost constant companion. I love him. As for him, I seem to be the person he most wants to be with in the world. That's good enough for me.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about belief and certainty. How can we be certain of anything in this universe we know so little about?

The term Mother Nature doesn't offend me at all. Nature is, after all, where we all came from.

Andy, how does the Gaia thesis strike you?

Pretty much the same way as those who believe in Lizard Kings, or that the Earth was created 10,000 years ago. With contempt that they teach their kids this rubbish, but understanding that they themselves were probably brainwashed into it as kids themselves:)

(After all, it is obvious that the Pastafarians are right:) )

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Pretty much the same way as those who believe in Lizard Kings, or that the Earth was created 10,000 years ago. With contempt that they teach their kids this rubbish, but understanding that they themselves were probably brainwashed into it as kids themselves:)

(After all, it is obvious that the Pastafarians are right:) )

The Gaia thesis is a scientific hypothesis that the earth is a self regulating "super organism" - it's not a religious idea at all. May be worth reading up on it before you condemn it out of hand.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The self regulating system is one thing - many examples exist. A self regulating super organism is something different - but again it does exist. The "Hive mind" concept is very real - and elegantly constructed in a single bee colony.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm always fascinated by the way in which life can argue and debate with itself, both with emotion and impartiality, simultaneously. ;)

You see everything is made of atoms, and atoms are 99.9999% nothing, so everything that seems real is 99.9999% of it, isn't really there. This illusion of differing opinions, of consciousness observing itself in billions of different ways truly is remarkable.

We are but the feathers of a peacock said Dr pepper to itself ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE