Mors pot cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
That breakfast recipe is very similar to the mountain man breakfast.

MountainManBreakfastFeatureImage-300x159.jpg
Print

Prep time
15 mins

Cook time
45 mins

Total time
1 hour

Author: Chelsey Janes
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: American
Serves: 12

Ingredients

• 1 lb mild pork sausage, crumbled
  • 5-6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 lb package frozen hash browns, shredded
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • 1 package shredded Cheddar cheese

Instructions

1. Cook and stir the sausage, onion, and garlic in a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven with lid, raised over the coals to medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender.
  2. Stir in the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and hash brown potatoes until evenly mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are hot and the peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
  3. Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the top of the potatoes, allowing them to sink into the potatoes. Cover the Dutch oven, and place 6 to 9 coals underneath, and 12 to 18 on top.
  4. Allow to bake until the eggs are firm, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, cover, and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.#

All I do for mine is is cut down the amount so instead of 12 it will feed me and I use a lot smaller pot. But for a large group go for a dutchie.

So I use a couple of sasuages and a couple of rashers of bacon, I do use an oinion, garlic and peppers, for the hash brown I just use a potatoe and chop it up small. I do not like the cheese all the time so I miss it out if I want a bit more of a kick I add a fresh chilli and some tabasco. But generally it is what I have to hand; black pudding and mushrooms often feature as well. With the mountain man it is always what you have to hand. the veg just makes it more balanced and better imho but each to his own.

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Yeah sometimes they slip through or not declared accurately. Where did it get sent from? If it was from in EU then you wouldn't be charged. You only get charged if it's sent from non-EU country.

Got it from the states...like I say perhaps I was lucky

Sent from somewhere?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Another favourite recipe is based of a chicken Jambalaya.

you need

1 chicken thigh or breast chopped
2oz chorizo chopped
1-2 tblespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (i like my garlic)
1-2 sticks of celery
1 green chilli chopped fine ( i keep the seeds but that is me)
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 cup of basmalti rice
1 pint of chicken stock
1 tin of tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of thyme
salt + pepper
2 spring onions chopped
a good squeeze of lemon juice ( i use jif squeezie lemon which is the same i use for pancacakes :) )

first cook the chorizo then the chicken remove and add the garlic, veg and rice, bay leaf and stock, then add the tomatoes, put the chicken and chorizo back in. add a squeeze of lemon juice. cover and simmer for about 30-40 minutes then add the thyme and spring onion and eat and enjoy......

I love the one pot cooking and there are loads of things you can cook in this way. Any decent recipe book will have loads and you can practice in the home before you go out. I do a load of curries as well and stews and things they normally envolve using beer and ales for the liquids in them rather than just water as it adds to the taste.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Tinkypete these are brilliant I like the jumblya I'm trying that sat night I reckon....👍

Sent from somewhere?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've just ordered one of the 1.8litre anodised Mors Pots from four dogs for £30 delivered. I'll let you know if I get stung for import taxes.

Thanks very much. I bought a pan a few years ago and ended up doubling the price after Customs, etc. had finished with me.

I'm wondering about the Pathfinder stainless version from Hennie. Anyone have any thoughts or input?

All the best.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
DocG kindly reminded me that I was going to update on if I got hit for tax when I got my mors pot through. Well yes and no. I did have a sticker on the package demanding £15 in tax and Royal Mail handling fees, but they left the package with a neighbour and never asked for the cash (which was supposed to be paid prior to delivery). So it looks like I've got away with that one.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
DocG kindly reminded me that I was going to update on if I got hit for tax when I got my mors pot through. Well yes and no. I did have a sticker on the package demanding £15 in tax and Royal Mail handling fees, but they left the package with a neighbour and never asked for the cash (which was supposed to be paid prior to delivery). So it looks like I've got away with that one.

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I'm left wondering if my postie would be so helpful. I think the Hennie SS Pathfinder may be less hassle, especially as the Christmas post delays are about to happen. But . . . I'm emotionally drawn to anything Mors Kochanski has had a hand in, so . . . . :confused:

I don't suppose there's likely to be a UK retailer any time soon, is there? I found out that Buffalo Bushcraft might have stocked them but don't any more.

If I had to pay for it, I'd probably end up making do with what I've got. As it's an offered present, however, the money's burning a hole in my pocket to get out - as Dad used to say.

I give up. No decision now - I've been working all day and I'm cream crackered and rambling.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
It looks like it slipped through/put in wrong pile at sorting office as it wouldn't have gone out with the postie that day. Initially the postie will bring you a grey card which you then use and pay online, once payment has been made you receive item in couple of working days or you can pick up at sorting office.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
It looks like it slipped through/put in wrong pile at sorting office as it wouldn't have gone out with the postie that day. Initially the postie will bring you a grey card which you then use and pay online, once payment has been made you receive item in couple of working days or you can pick up at sorting office.

Thanks for adding that info. I think I'm not going to chance my arm on this one.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE