Mors pot cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've not used mine out in the field so to speak but it's great, seems odd getting enthusiastic over a pot! 😄 but it fits the bill and does what I want it to do..😉

Sent from somewhere?

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
For living in the woods without instant food, what a lot of people do is inevitably just make a soup or stew. It's a good way to make a small amount of game meat, like from a bird or rabbit, go further and become a whole meal. The aboriginal tribes also used to boil a lot of their food, even before they got metal pots.

IMHO, with non-supermarket food, like harvested game, spicy dishes, such as with curry or chiles, can make the food more palatable.

For some old school ideas, here are some free books you can download:

Camp Cookery - by Horace Kephart (1910)
https://archive.org/details/campcookery01keph

Camping and Woodcraft - by Horace Kephart (this is the 1921 edition where they took the two volume set from 1917 and published it as a single volume)
https://archive.org/details/campingwoodcraft00kephrich

Camp and Trail - by Stewart Edward White (1907)
https://archive.org/details/camptrail00whitrich

Last edited:

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Those are just on Archive.org as they are so old the copyright has expired. I have a hard copy of Camping and Woodcraft. Horace Kephart was the original bushcrafter of the modern era.

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
I recently tried this breakfast recipe in my Mors Pot, and very successful and tasty it was too.

Cut up two sausages and two bacon rashers, add some chopped onion and fry these in oil in the Mors pot until nicely browned.
Whisk two eggs and add them to the pot, break up some bread into small chunks and add them to the pot, cook for a while (you'll
need to judge for yourself depending upon the heat of your fire/ distance of pot from flame etc.) and when it looks not far off, add
a couple of handfuls of grated cheese on top and put back over the flames for 5 mins.

Eat and enjoy!

Cheers
Steve

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I recently tried this breakfast recipe in my Mors Pot, and very successful and tasty it was too.

Cut up two sausages and two bacon rashers, add some chopped onion and fry these in oil in the Mors pot until nicely browned.
Whisk two eggs and add them to the pot, break up some bread into small chunks and add them to the pot, cook for a while (you'll
need to judge for yourself depending upon the heat of your fire/ distance of pot from flame etc.) and when it looks not far off, add
a couple of handfuls of grated cheese on top and put back over the flames for 5 mins.

Eat and enjoy!

Cheers
Steve

That does sound nice! (except the onion, cant stand them).

Going to be trying this out at the weekend at the Steed Hall meet, thanks for sharing :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Bowlin
I tried that breakfast recipe of yours it worked a treat, delicious the bread really added something I did fry the bread off first put it to one side then added it in with the eggs. Thanks for that one it really set me up for the day...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Query: did you make this in a Mors pot or something else?

If a Mors pot, where did you buy it? Any issues with import duties?

Sorry if this is off topic.

All the best.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Yeah made in a mors pot I'm afraid I can't say about import as I bought it from someone on here😉

Sent from somewhere?

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've just ordered one of the 1.8litre anodised Mors Pots from four dogs for £30 delivered. I'll let you know if I get stung for import taxes.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've ordered stuff from the state's before and not been stung....he says fingers crossed and hoping I haven't just jinxed it all.!!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I think you only get charged if the declared value is over £30. That is when vat/import duty etc come into play. Many cottage company's will under value things if you ask them nicely (Some do it without asking) ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE