More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Anyone been out this morning??

I managed a few bits :headbang:

510Watt SDS+ (£15)

Bosch%20drill%202_zps2ngzmlob.jpg

Pair of thick/heavy Farriers rasp/files?? (50p each!)

Frriers%20files%202_zpsxjzurx8j.jpg

Two rolls of .6mm Mig wire (£2 each)

Welding%20wire_zpse6vwa3qs.jpg

Some watches, They were £4 each apart from the Cyma Navystar, That was £1 It works superbly!!

The Rotary appears to have a broken mainspring as it now winds forever and there's no motive force to the balance!! I'm hoping that I have a spare mainspring/Barrel in my parts box!

The gilt Seiko Qtz needs a new 920 cell, I removed the old one just in time as it was just starting to leak!!

CB%20Watches%201_zpsoggiqnht.jpg

Vivitar 3D camera for £2!!!

The 8GB SDS card has to be worth more!!

I puit it on charge as it was totally flat and it was full and running in under an hour!!

Vivitar%203D1_zpsqrnszjtw.jpg

Also bought a li'l R/C helicopter for £2 but even fully charged, there doesn't seem to be enough 'Oooomph' for it to stay aloft!! :p

I have another identical that works fine so I'll keep it for spares!! :D

Anyone else ventured forth??

John :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
John, those files are called 'four in hand' files (that's if they're double sided). They are a compact multi grade file used around the workshop. I've got a few, but none that huge and clean! amazing score.. again. lol jammy git.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
John, those files are called 'four in hand' files (that's if they're double sided). They are a compact multi grade file used around the workshop. I've got a few, but none that huge and clean! amazing score.. again. lol jammy git.

Hi Samon

Yes, They have teeth on both sides, They're very thick and heavy- Heavier than any files i've ever had!!

I thought they were for Farriers as the rasp part would be ideal for removing hoof and the finer parts for smoothing down the brads :D

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Most farriers rasps I've seen are like cheese graters, they shed waste material faster too. Fur in hands are just handy toolbox files. The Americans are fond of them particularly.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
My haul from two weeks ago, added another spokeshave, wooden jack plane and a nice marking gauge this week as well. About £15.00 all told.
dc6f3c2037c5357c4e2e87bf5b2696ee.jpg

The unappealing brown thing at the front is a king 800 waterstone, paid a pound for itc as I didn't have the 50p in change he wanted :)

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
And todays...
0d94d7364156f6c55d8b88ef1d729714.jpg

Record 52 quick release wood vice £15.00, small cleaver .30p, stanley no 4 £4.00, file and scissors .50p, brace .50p and a high spirits native american flute for .50p
Very happy :)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I went to just one bootsale alst week as me dodgy knee was giving me grief!! :(

I bought two more Bosch drills but battery ones this time!, One is a 12volt, the other 9.6v..

I paid £6 for the 12v and £4 for the 9.6v, They only turned a little so I thought the batteries were kaput!! All four batt's charged up smashing!! :cool:

Bosch%20%20drills%20a2_zpsgiwrdorw.jpg

Bosch%20drills%20a3_zpsmnwmv9md.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, for various reasons I've not got to a boot for weeks but on Thursday I actually got to the flea market and picked up a few bits which along with some stuff that was still outstanding from before we went south I did up yesterday.

image.jpg1_zpsu2r6zw5x.jpg

The brick/masons hammer I'm still putting coats of linseed oil on the handle of after a good clean up. There's no markings and it seams to be hand forged. When i sharpened the pick it produced a goodly shower of almost white sparks , I'm not sure what that tells you about the steel! The hammer side is a lot longer than I've seen on brick hammers. £3

The tungsten carbide sanding disk was £1, I've the B&D rubber disk thing it fits on.

The 16 inch square file was also £1 and has cleaned up lovely, I'd turned a couple of beech super chunky handles and now I just need. To score some thick walled 1" internal dia brass tube to make colours. The file is marked as Sheffield made with the kneeling camel logo of the company that eventually became Cammel Laird it's also stamped VICKERS .

The other file I got a while back is 14 " and very thick and heavy, there's hardly any wear on the teeth, I should have dusted it off before taking the pic. I think I mentioned the markings earlier, it's the one with the flying witch logo.

The small pliers where 50p, I assumed from the shape of the jaws they were for glass but on cleaning up they are marked GPO. I suppose they could be for glazing telephone boxes!

I'm not sure what the proper name of the peg spanner thing is but it cost me next to nowt and I occasionally income across the sort of nut that you use them on.

Not a huge haul but better than nowt!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Grozing pliers have a gentle curve to them. Like a crows beak.

Have you seen and IDed my tool yet, tombear?

Jan 30, 2006
Manchester
The pliers are GPO Tools designated either Pliers "Quick Grip" or Spanners "Quick" Grip (there were two sizes).

They were issued originally (round about 1955) for gripping hex nuts (to tighten terminal nuts).

When they are opened to approximately 1/2" the jaws should be parallel.

Latterly they were nearly always used for crimping Scotchlocks / Jelly Crimps.

My Dad was Post Office telephones & latterly BT & he has a set.

Hope this helps :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I got to my tool guy in Colne today and h had a few bits for me.

image.jpg1_zpsbiy1fxim.jpg

The awl is a sweetie, just needs the varnish removing and a polish, £1. The bit above is a Wm. Maples and Sons 3/8 grooving tool for tinsmiths and sheet metal workers, new £2. I've been trying to google how to use it but have had no joy.

Best of all was the 11 inch Isaac Greaves Cast Steel draw knife. For a tool at least a 100 years old it is in great condition, I'm trying to resist cleaning it a theres no need. It's already razor sharp . I'll wipe it with alchahol to get any muck off and soak the handles in linseed oil. I think I'll make a leather edge guard for it. I'm rather chuffed with it. £15, more than I'd normally pay but it felt right in my hands.

A bit of History for you, Isaac Greaves operated in Sheffield from 1825 until 1905, by 1911 The Gambia trademark they used had been taken over by Joseph Peace & Co. Before 1856 they are mainly listed as saw makers so its likely it was made between then and 1905.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
.... The bit above is a Wm. Maples and Sons 3/8 grooving tool for tinsmiths and sheet metal workers, new £2. I've been trying to google how to use it but have had no joy.

Does the working end look like this?

attachment.php

If it does then it's used to flatten/neaten/seal formed seams ~ a seam groover ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• product_md0lr4r8j1mfl0mnh7j1fg1gg5_1300460886.jpg
    product_md0lr4r8j1mfl0mnh7j1fg1gg5_1300460886.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 232
  • Untitled54.jpg
    Untitled54.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 234

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
WFinally bit the bullet and bought a couple of axe helve s as I just don't have the ash or hickory big enough to make my own.

image.jpg1_zpsodaq4uiv.jpg

Right, 4.5lb Elwell found in garden , derusted to death and a lot of metal filed off behind the edge to get down to solid steel, didn't heat it up at all so the tempers as good as when I found it and polished sharp on a hard felt wheel, I wasn't intending to , was just removing scratch marks and noticed it was sharper than I normally manage to get a axe. 36 inch helve. Needs more oiling.

Middle, 2.5lb no name axe head, dumped on me free, same process as above, 30 inch helve, needed thinning down quite a lot to fit the eye.

Left, Chip Chop No. 1 converted to a sort of side axe as I can't afford a real off set one, £1 off of a carboot. Derusted then ground down, back side flattened on diamond stones and just sharpened on the other side for right handed use. Ash handle made by myself , needs a lot more linseed oil.

What set me off is I finally let the middle son take his replica Saxon axe to log and unfortunately there's something wrong with the hardening/ tempering as no matter how careful he was the bottom of the cutting edge ( it has a pronounced beard ) bent. After it had been hammered straight the third time we became resigned to it being a wall hanger. He's had it three years so I'm reluctant to take it up with the maker. Anyroad he surprised me how naturally he took to it, much better than me from the outset, Accurate, good rhythm, safety conscious, surprisingly powerful blows for a 14 year old. So I thought I'd get him a real axe. He's picked the 4.5 Lb Elwell. I'll start making leather masks for the three and the drawknife tomorrow .

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
There was a scrap of seasoned beech left over for cutting a handle for the other carboot Gilpins Chip Chop No. 1 I've cleaned up ( pic when it's finished) so I've whipped off a handle for the tiny HB axe head I cleaned up a while back.

image.jpg1_zpsi5ycqdeo.jpg

The band saw and power file made it a quick job, fitted on with a wooden wedge, had three coats of oil so far. And yes the heads on up side down! No matter how I measured it the hole in the eye at the bottom of it ( going by the slight beard/shape ) was bigger than the top. I've pretty much ground the slight beard off to even it up some. Works for me and the heads on very firm.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE