More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
image.jpg1_zpszlzltnwl.jpg

Loaded it with my hand drills and braces and the bits pertaining to said tools. The few at the front i'll derust and I'll oil the lot tomorrow. Nice to finally get them all in one place.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, having the bits in one place inclines me to use them more often rather than reaching for the cordless all the time..

i spent most of today making a hot waxed thick leather cover for the latest drawknife. Nowt fancy and I thought I'd try press studs since I got all those ones cheap in the summer.

image.jpg1_zpsyqzrfta0.jpg

Still need to do a open top tool box for the green tools.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's a marginal one, Green River Knife, covered in something, hopefully non toxic 50p

image.jpg1_zpsgblbrkek.jpg

The books for the Middle son who's uber keen on growing some food in the spring, he's already dug over half the top back garden and has his eye on another 12 foot by 12 patch. About a third will go on bere barley but the rest he will pick the crops himself. Some will be Anglo Saxon stuff like 2 years back but most will be modern stuff.

Ill put up a after pic once it's done.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I've seen them done with the leather just folded over and sewn up the edges so the cutting edge can't reach the fold at the bottom to cut into it but I prefer to @rse about and make it from three pieces although in this case the spine was so much thicker tat I had to insert two tapering pieces at the sides to allow for it. I've ended up with at least 4 sizes of stitch groover I should man up and start using them. Currently I'm just pressing on relly hard with a edge creasing tool and making a dent rather than doing a proper job.

After a soak in the hot citric acid the cement or was on the knife came off lovely, as did the rust. I,d assumed it was a new scales job otherwise I'd never soak a wooden handle but by some miracle the rosewood ( I think) seams to have survived he process. After a quick wire brush the blade says on it CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON & Co SHEFFIELD ENGLAND
who were bought out in 1955 by Wsotenholm and the factory was closed. They had started trading in 1854 and were well known for hunting and trade knives.

Shephards pie is done ( mash done with one of the turned wooden ones which was reported to work very well although the idiot started banging the wood on the side of the pan to knock the spud off like you'd do with a metal one until I screamed at him to scrape it off). So I'm off ski!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, it's cleaned up better than I'd hoped. A nice thin whippy blade that will be handy for food prep. Probably made as a skinner since there's slight curve to it.

image.jpg1_zpsuadzpspi.jpg

I'll make a mountain man type sheath for it. I've found pics of the type of sheath it would have come with in the 1930s to 50s, thin leather with a seam up the back and a sort of dangler suspension system ( I've a Sheffield made Green River knife with the same sort and it sucks )

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
So did I but there's no cracks or big dents or owt that would merit new scales. Sort of a shame as I'd thought to put on some fiddle back maple ones with five pins like the old trade knives. It's now standing in a Ovaltine mixer full of linseed oil until tomorrow. I'll get on with a sheath then.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers,! Still need to do the sheath.

today I only got these,

image.jpg1_zpspuhytnxl.jpg

A North Bothers Yankee push drill for a quid and a Manchester made carborundum double sided sharpening puck. Herself paid £4 for that as it pretty much new despite its age and we wanted something to go with the axes.

I did get them the three demijohns they wanted for their brewing project for 50p a pop and herself found three corks and bubble thingies for £1.50 the lot on another stall.

Mind, I had some luck on herselfs behalf, we filled the boot with 90+ pieces of Denby and Langley pottery for about 45 quid in all. There're may be more, herself can go through th crates when sh gets back from the scouts AGM.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked this up today for 2 quid on Accy Thursaday flea, bigger than any I'd seen so far, lets see what we can do with it....

image.jpg1_zpsz87if4bt.jpg

One of the most underrated bits of kit in my opinion.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

dodgerdog

May 6, 2014
Shropshire
Tom

I have to ask, what is the above tool called and what are they used for. I have recently had to clean out my grandads shed. I have managed to rescue loads of his old tools and I have found one of these which has me scratching my head a bit.

Many thanks - simon

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's a hand vice, still made by Smith Francis Tools in Brum and no doubt others ( the jammy dodger was for scale , not having owt of a standard size to hand ). It simple is just a small sprung vice for holding the work piece to keep your hand away from the wire wheel or whatever you are using on the job. Or clamping two pieces together. They also act as a heat sink when working on small items that warm up quickly. Saved my hands from injury many times. Perversely my favourite is missing , blue enamelled Stanley one I paid full whack for when I was about 19. I have three sons, enough said. The last time it turned up 2.5 years later... Normally I make simple aluminium jaw guards for them but all seam to have been lost...

image.jpg1_zps6ekxfd6o.jpg

The leaf springs often snap , but a ok repair can be made with a normal spring cut down to fit. You see them a lot on carboots for quid or two. Apart from the leaf springs they are pretty robust.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

dodgerdog

May 6, 2014
Shropshire
Ah, makes perfect sense now! Thank you for that! Keep up the good work with this fantastic thread, it is one of my favourite's!

Thanks again - simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE