More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, the nibbler cleaned up well with just a vigorous tooth brushing with Isopropyl alcohol , removed all the dirty grease and gunk ( must oil it before it goes into the tin snips roll) it worked lovely on some about 18 gauge brass Tried it on.

The ruler was extremely dirty but I googled how best to clean it without removing the India ink markings or warping the wood and the concensus was oxcilic acid, and if you can't get it neat then Bar Tenders Friend which is basically a mix of citic acid and oxcilic acid in powder form. I added just enough water to make a paste and lightly scrubbed it with a old toothbrush. It worked a treat!

image.jpg1_zpsztab0ddl.jpg

I've given the wood a couple of coats of Matt acrylic varnish to stop it getting manky as easily. With some I've gloss varnished ( as when new ) I've found if used as a scale in photos the glare from the flash or a daylight bulb causes the markings to be unreadable.

atb

tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I dragged myself to Accy flea to see if the stall still had a Webtex mesh gillie suit base thing the middle son had decided he wanted after all ( it had only been a fiver, new and had it been a issue one I'd have got it to go on eBay but I digress) and of course the stall was no longer there after a run of 3 or 4 weeks, as happens. Anyroad after a bust on the rest of it, less a box of candles for a quid and a peculiar Stanley made surform blade that was 1/2 a inch wide and about 8 inches long that I've been unable to trace the model of handle for, I was about to go to the next town when I spied one of these

https://www.bon-fire.dk/en/products/the-mobile-kitchen/category/1-the-mobile-kitchen.html

brand new in its box for £4.

I'm rather impressed by the quality and I will rig up some chains to hang it and finally make or acquire a iron tripod , the official kit is way too dear.

the only other find was the wife got me a old fish shaped can opener from EBay. Needs a bit of work before it's a user.

atb

tom

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Well, the nibbler cleaned up well with just a vigorous tooth brushing with Isopropyl alcohol , removed all the dirty grease and gunk ( must oil it before it goes into the tin snips roll) it worked lovely on some about 18 gauge brass Tried it on.

The ruler was extremely dirty but I googled how best to clean it without removing the India ink markings or warping the wood and the concensus was oxcilic acid, and if you can't get it neat then Bar Tenders Friend which is basically a mix of citic acid and oxcilic acid in powder form. I added just enough water to make a paste and lightly scrubbed it with a old toothbrush. It worked a treat!

image.jpg1_zpsztab0ddl.jpg

I've given the wood a couple of coats of Matt acrylic varnish to stop it getting manky as easily. With some I've gloss varnished ( as when new ) I've found if used as a scale in photos the glare from the flash or a daylight bulb causes the markings to be unreadable.

atb

tom

I've used Oxalic acid to clean the blackening off oak frames (oak framed building I was working on) and its absolute magic.
Pretty much as soon as it was brushed on it removed the black stains.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've used Oxalic acid to clean the blackening off oak frames (oak framed building I was working on) and its absolute magic.
Pretty much as soon as it was brushed on it removed the black stains.

Just seen it on eBay for about £8.50 a kg, free postage, so will put in a chit for some with herself.

atb

Tom

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just seen it on eBay for about £8.50 a kg, free postage, so will put in a chit for some with herself.

atb

Tom

The stuff I used was a powder I mixed with water.
There was a recommended amount to add to a given amount of water but we found that you could use quite a lot less powder per litre and it still worked fine.

Cleaned the blackening off the oak frames and the sandstone underneath that had been blackened as well.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok charity shop finds rather than carboots but one i thinks worth mentioning. I've been looking for some cheap square section leather thronging for a while . Then hung up with the other women's belts I saw this

image.jpg1_zpsxnkpno1l.jpg

M&S 100% leather medium sized £1.99. The strands at 5mm x 3mm. I'll unpick the und plates and see how much in length I get from it. I may give them a wipe with neets foot.

Incidentally a got 10 x 50g balls of chunky pure new wool Shetland for £3.99 ( less than you fork out for one ball) and 8 x 100g balls of pure new Wool Aran in a good dark green for £3.50 which will keep herself happy for a while, and just to show I did get a tool I picked up for £10 what looks to be a unused Old school Como Drills made in England variable speed mini drill. I've mainly got it for the transformer. To illustrate my ignorance does turning up the speed control increase the voltage or ampage or whip the magic fairies inside faster? I have vague thoughts of using it to control a hot wire foam cutter or for copper plating or maybe rust removal....? I'll certainly be using it for fine drilling and grinding, the Dremmel I have is a huge clumsy thing compared to this.

ATB

Tom

image.jpg2_zpsyqdw0wuj.jpg

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That Como is a snip at a tenner, very good catch; I've been looking at one on a popular auction site and it's starting at thirty-odd quid :(

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Unravelled the belts produced nine at least nine foot lengths of leather thong, not bad for the money.

Cool on the Como, I'd not heard of the brand so had walked past the thing in the window of the charity shop in the village for the last week, I was lucky no one snapped it up!

atb

tom

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll guess that the variable transformer changes the voltage, not the current. So you can run up the speed and depend on momentum but the actual torque/drilling power is weaker. It might be that the variable adds or subtracts wood lice from their exercise wheels inside the hand piece.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
VA in = VA out (excluding loss caused by the transformer windings) So the transformer will drop the voltage and current will rise, the speed controller will generally be a rheostat which will adjust the voltage.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! That's just the job. I acquired a really good multimeter thingy so if I connect it to that I can see what voltages the positions on the control knob corresponds to. A contractor left it at work, we informed the firm several times but no one ever came for it so two years later when we were closing the building down it came home with me :)

I'll have to find the spool of foam cutting wire and rig new leads for the handle I made. I think the spool has the operating voltage on it, I know the phone charger thing I've been using is on the low side as the wire cuts very slowly.

Saying all this in the to eBay mountain there is a old school Hornby transformer I could snaffle as it's obviously unwanted. I'll look for some idiots guides to copper plating and rust removal/replacement.

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Been this morning to the bootsale, Bought a few bits goodjob

Letter opener? The fella said it was used for Ganja!! :sigh:

DSC_1215_zpse2qeqp3j.jpg

DSC_1213_zpsvp7orwq2.jpg

Number four mk2 bayonet for an Enfield No4 rifle

Bayonet%201_zps4uypmwes.jpg

A nice old mechanical Sekonda alarm watch, Working perfectly and keeping time!!

Sekonda%20alarm%201_zpsvotovraj.jpg

Sekonda%20alarm%202_zpsywgdqzbv.jpg

Comanche Stockman knife, It says Stainless but i'm sure it's carbon as there was a couple of stains (Oxide) on the blade!! :p

The two smaller blades are floppy due to the back spring being sprained (Under tempered maybe!)

Comanche%20Stockman%202_zpsoxqgmhrw.jpg

A set of crystal clear Steinheil 8x40 Bin's :cool::cool:

Steinheil%201_zpso2vn7obv.jpg

Steinheil%203_zpshn80udb6.jpg

Steinheil%205_zpsxn3isul7.jpg

Anyone else been out?

John :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE