More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fencing maul to me as well

In regional/historic English "Mel" was the same as "Maul" ...
In the ballad "King Henry " (Steeleye Span covered this on their albums "Below the Salt" and "Present") the apparition was described as having a nose like "A club or Mel" ...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Got to Huddersfield Flea a bit late on Saturday so it had already been picked over. We did find plenty of non bushy stuff, dirt cheap Denby for herself, a rather nice Amber and silver broach etc etc. I did get five partial packets of old school needles for a couple of quid (in a tin that's gone into my period travel kit drawer) couple of camping gaz mantles for 50p a pop and this baby for £2.

image.jpg1_zpsvt7sgur6.jpg

The thin layer of rust came off with the usual citric acid and wire wheel. The makers mark is HENBRO W^D, nothing came up about HENBRO in a Google but the War Department stamp means it's Fifties or earlier.

Hopefully the weather will improve and the boots will be starting up again soon. Mind the wife took pity on me after my poor haul and ordered me a 64oz Klean Kanteen to cheer me up! Some place,in I think it was Bolton, had them for just over twenty quid a pop, free postage.

atb

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nice Vikings. I must paint my horde one day.

(And if anyone can direct me to a `heroic` 25mm Saami shaman to be their magic user in a more fantasy version of my army, I will be very happy)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ta! Technically they are Anglo Danes ( I'm doing them for the middle son who doesn't model, the heathern ) for Saga but there's a box full of Joms Vikings to do next. I'd just finished another points worth of cheorls and was checking the rest for touching up

image.jpg1_zpsbhqk20mb.jpg

Excuse the lousy iPad photo! To make them easier to play with he wanted vaguely matching shields for each points worth of troops, which stuck in the craw, but after doing a hundred or so smegging Space Marines for the eldest ( who now perversely is painting the 28mm Normans himself ) these are a positive pleasure!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The eldest now does, the youngest always has, even if it's only damn Necrons, the Middle one knows I'm a soft touch and like doing them. Since he is the mega helpful one ( while I was painting these for him this evening he made supper, 3 pizzas made from scratch and a tray of cupcakes, not bad for 14! ) I don't mind.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not quite sure what a real Saami shaman would look like but there's stuff like this

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1546

28 mm shaman in Google mainly gets you scantily clad red indian females waving dream catchers.

ATB

Tom

Ps need to find more information to finish the farmstead I started ages ago, especially stuff about late Saxon fields and boundaries. I'm planning to do a lot of truescale trees, I need more cheap dried reindeer moss and some thick copper wire for the armatures

imagejpg1_zpsfa8793e0.jpg

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
In regional/historic English "Mel" was the same as "Maul" ...
In the ballad "King Henry " (Steeleye Span covered this on their albums "Below the Salt" and "Present") the apparition was described as having a nose like "A club or Mel" ...

Mel is used round here to mean maul of the type used to bray posts in and as one of the members of Steeleye span (Rick Kemp) lives within half a mile of me I assume its a local thing.

Mel.
FMPR_6_How_do_you_use_a_fencing_maul_10.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, I've been laid up with something resembling flu the last week so got nowt done apart from some decorating which set me back but hay ho!

image.jpg1_zps7avqscez.jpg

For somat to do I've just de rusted a chunky pair of scissors I picked up for 50p. Markings are "GEORGE PLATTS & SON SHEFFIELD" on one side and " HAND FORGED" with their Sailor Brand logo. The company started in 1845 and had been dissolved in the early 2000s although when they stopped making scissors I don't know, the last ref I have to them is 1971. The shape is slightly odd, like giant nails scissors. Apart from the rust removing all they need was a light tap to tighten the rivet to allow for the loss of material ( a tiny amount but on 6 surfaces ) they haven't been used / need sharpening. Despite the size I don't think they are tin snips, the cutting edges are too acute if you get my drift? Florists snips? Leather workers?

They are very well made I will say that.

Being dragged off to the Docs at 4.30 , I hope it's not a antibiotics job as I'd rather not develop a tolerance or whatever it is when you use them too much.

atb

Tom

A week on anti biotics and bed rest if possible (ha chance would be a fine thing) . Joys.

Last edited:

Leadblaster

Jan 27, 2016
Cheshire
Well folks, I've been laid up with something resembling flu the last week so got nowt done apart from some decorating which set me back but hay ho!

image.jpg1_zps7avqscez.jpg

For somat to do I've just de rusted a chunky pair of scissors I picked up for 50p. Markings are "GEORGE PLATTS & SON SHEFFIELD" on one side and " HAND FORGED" with their Sailor Brand logo. The company started in 1845 and had been dissolved in the early 2000s although when they stopped making scissors I don't know, the last ref I have to them is 1971. The shape is slightly odd, like giant nails scissors. Apart from the rust removing all they need was a light tap to tighten the rivet to allow for the loss of material ( a tiny amount but on 6 surfaces ) they haven't been used / need sharpening. Despite the size I don't think they are tin snips, the cutting edges are too acute if you get my drift? Florists snips? Leather workers?

They are very well made I will say that.

Being dragged off to the Docs at 4.30 , I hope it's not a antibiotics job as I'd rather not develop a tolerance or whatever it is when you use them too much.

atb

Tom

A week on anti biotics and bed rest if possible (ha chance would be a fine thing) . Joys.

Tools look great Tom,

Great job cleaning them up. I enjoy collecting tools myself also and have found a lot of the older ones were much better built for the job. I visit Burnley every weekend,which is near to you from where I live over in Cheshire and have found a great tool stall in the upstairs market at Burnley. The guy has 'lots' of older tools and dosent mind giving a good discount for regular customers. Great old names on the tools also. I've had some really good buys from him over the past year or so.

I also collect unusual old and new medical, dental, surgical tools some of which have come in very handy for bizarre jobs that I've done. I bought a job lot of medical tools last year from a guy down in London for some considerable outlay which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The items that I knew I'd never use I sold for an incredible 400% return on the original outlay and I got to keep the usable stuff.

I picked up some nice screwdrivers last year also, called 'perfect pattern' they are American born I think bit have a lovely feel and look about them.

Anyway great to see your clean up tools I notice you have an exact tool that I picked up last year from a car boot up your way,the small stumpy chisel shaped tool. Some great little finds out there.

Regards

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Dave
i used to get to the Wednesday fleamarket at Burnley all the time but about five years ago it started going down hill and now I hardly bother, it's easier to get to the one in Accrington from where I am. I've had some great finds like a complete pattern makers chest. I must admit I've never been to the weekend one, I'll have to give it ago. If it's the Saturday you get to Burnley have you tried getting over to Colne where there's a excellent second hand/ collectors tools stall in the market hall, he's only open Wednesday's and Saturdays. There's also a second hand tool stall on the outside market most Saturday's, not so good but worth a look.

Yeah it's great when you pick up bits that will pay for the rest that you have bought. Sadly with everyone with access to google on their phones these days of the amazing bargains due to hard aquired knowledge seam to have gone.

Wont be going anywhere this weekend ( the Saturday Huddersfield flea is a real favourite at the moment ) feeling too rough!

ATB

Tom

Leadblaster

Jan 27, 2016
Cheshire
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks ever so much Tom for the info, I'll try and get over to colne when I can. My son plays at holt house rugby club there on a Saturday. I've put a few pics of my collection of tools which has been an ongoing collection for me for many years. I've been interested in tools ever since being a small boy, I've got my dads tools,and his dad's also. With many old names that are no longer available.

My workshop has been an ongoing love of mine for many years and has given me a great deal of pleasure over time. I find it difficult like yourself to walk past a tools stall without buying some part of it. Tools are truly fandabidozie. Your tool thread has given me lots of smiles reading it and the pictures are fantastic. Great job Tom, keep it up.

Kind regards

Dave .

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks!

been busy decorating so not been on line then I did something to myself and have been laid up for a few days, pretty much back to normal now although I'm off heavy lifting for a few days more. Been doing a bit of light pottering, catching up on non strenuous jobs so got around to cleaning up a few tools/ bits. Unfortunately photo bucket denies my existence from this iPad and we are still without a PC the old one having died having sounded like a tractor for several months.

Anyhoo would be inflicting a pic on you of a rather nice G Barnsley curved awl I got for £1.50 that's cleaned up nice, a iron bulls head can opener the wife got me from eBay and a pre war can opener of the pierce in the centre of the can and cut round the edge sort. It has a patent stamped on it but it's not a UK or US one. The bulkhead one I'll re copper plate when I get a suitable battery. Pic when I can get photo bucket to work.

atb

Tom

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
View attachment 39529View attachment 39530View attachment 39531View attachment 39532

Thanks ever so much Tom for the info, I'll try and get over to colne when I can. My son plays at holt house rugby club there on a Saturday. I've put a few pics of my collection of tools which has been an ongoing collection for me for many years. I've been interested in tools ever since being a small boy, I've got my dads tools,and his dad's also. With many old names that are no longer available.

My workshop has been an ongoing love of mine for many years and has given me a great deal of pleasure over time. I find it difficult like yourself to walk past a tools stall without buying some part of it. Tools are truly fandabidozie. Your tool thread has given me lots of smiles reading it and the pictures are fantastic. Great job Tom, keep it up.

Kind regards

Dave .
Reminds me of an American diner! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
by a convoluted sending it to myself etc here the pic, hardly worth it!

bull_zpsvefofyuy.jpg

Hi folks!

been busy decorating so not been on line then I did something to myself and have been laid up for a few days, pretty much back to normal now although I'm off heavy lifting for a few days more. Been doing a bit of light pottering, catching up on non strenuous jobs so got around to cleaning up a few tools/ bits. Unfortunately photo bucket denies my existence from this iPad and we are still without a PC the old one having died having sounded like a tractor for several months.

Anyhoo would be inflicting a pic on you of a rather nice G Barnsley curved awl I got for £1.50 that's cleaned up nice, a iron bulls head can opener the wife got me from eBay and a pre war can opener of the pierce in the centre of the can and cut round the edge sort. It has a patent stamped on it but it's not a UK or US one. The bulkhead one I'll re copper plate when I get a suitable battery. Pic when I can get photo bucket to work.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh nice scores!

'went round my first proper boot of the year on Sunday and spent 20p on a ashtray. I've had a bit more luck at the Thursday flea in Accrington. On the one tool stall for a princely £3.50 I picked up a unused bar of leather strop dressing ( the hanging part of the box is missing so I can't say what brand, made in the UK anyway., a rather nice rabone boxwood folding ruler that should clean up lovely, a couple of new Lino cutter handles ( I already have loads of new blades , not that I ever carve Lino). A dirty Python tool handle that may boil clean and best of all something I've been after for a while, a proper old school and Made in England Monodex sheet metal nibbler. I know you can get the modern version for £25 quid odd but this ones got plenty of life in it and no plasticky bits, just needs degreasing.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE