Mondeo, Vectra or Mazda 6?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looking at these models in a 2006/7, diesel estate. All same price but which is best? Key factors are space, price, feel when driving (not speed, handling or sportiness but just comfort, position for ppl tall and short) and reasonable economy to run. All seem similar to me so its opinions really I'm looking for. Got any experience of driving more than one of these? If so please let me know how they compare.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mondeo and mazda are same chasis so very similar. different engines though. Mazda feels a little more refined. I dont like the vectra. find the seats uncomfortable. will depend what derivative you get. suspension varies with model. avoid the sporty versions and you should get a smooth ride. all should return 50mpg +

ford is probably cheaper to run and service etc

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
as a mechanic i say go for the mazda, vectra feels cheap and the ford will cost more in up keep, they especially like eating rear brake calipers and wheel bearings

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I work in a car dealership (new and used).
-Ford is prone to expensive faults (fuel pumps and swirl flaps on diesel engines, electrical faults that will immobilize the whole car and require towing to the authorised place).
-Vectra from that year is just a facelift to the Vectra B (same engine, susspention other bits) I drive B Tdi and my brother C Tdi and the guts are very simmilar. But cheap to run, especialy parts are inexpensive and available right here right now in any shop anywhere in the europe (I travel to poland regularly and the fan belt tensioner was on the shelf when I needed it). Not to mention fields of vauxhalls on any scrap yard when you need something like a turbo cheap. A lot can be done in your own garage.
-Mazda is the most refined and "classy" of them three. Cheaper to run and more roomy than audi A4. Also they remap better.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
driven all of them for 6+ months at a time

mazda handles the best but its got a kind of retro 80's styling to the interior

vectra feels uncertain in corners, steering was pretty light - nothing too outstanding or memorable about it

mondeo - has a heated windscreen. best thing they ever invented at this time of year! handled better than the vectra in my opinion.

the ones i was driving were all pretty new at the time so i dont really have any input on long term reliability. if i was looking at it from that point though i'd probably pick a mazda.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
It all depends on how much of a driving fan you are. The Vectra is the least refined or cool but gives the most bang for its buck. Mazda's don't come up that regularly but if someone offers you one for the right price take it. Mondeo's are better than Vectra's but cost more to buy and run. The heated front screen will save you time and effort this time of year though.

The likely hood is you will more than likely just keep bumping into more Vectra's than the other two and you might find yourself impressed by how new a car you can get for your available cash. If running costs are a major issue the Vectra wins out too.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Mazda of those three I think. Though parts maybe slightly less easy to source.

At risk of being an annoying respondent who gives an option not asked for I'm looking at similar sized vehicles right now and most mechanics and reviewers are pointing me towards the Skoda Octavia. Some cabbies near me have clocked 200k miles.
On petrol engines!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tried one of 2 mazdas and nice. About same as the 2.2 litre t diesel mondeo i tried at 163bhp, but only 150bhp mazda 6. Both 6 speed which i like. Heard about mondeo and mazda chassis. X-type jag too i believe.

Accord too pricey as is passat, civic too small.

Ford i heard was cheaper to fix than most except vectra but could be wrong. Read somewhere ford designed it to be cheap to fix in a slower speed accident. Things like radiator moves so doesnt get damaged and doesnt need replacing in head on, slower crashes. Other parts cheap makes for cheaper insurance. That could of course be later model though.

Skoda octavia was one idea but seem to be expensive secondhand.

Near me there has not been many vectras hitting garages here. Seen only one decent example in 2 months since my leisurely search started. Seen nice astra estates though i think you get more car for same money with the next size car up.

Still deciding. No such thing as best car only compromises you live with but still think "did i make the right choice?"

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Mondeo, go for ages and cheap to repair. Loads of parts available at the scrappies if needed. Make sure that if you do buy one you can get masking/gaffa tape in the same colour as for some reason the bumper always gets damaged. Tradition dictates it's repaired with tape! I had two of them and couldn't break them. Don't touch a vauxhall, terrible cars. Had a Vectra on lease at work, lots of space but once you put something in the back or a few passengers there was no acceleration.

Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Mondeo, go for ages and cheap to repair. Loads of parts available at the scrappies if needed. Make sure that if you do buy one you can get masking/gaffa tape in the same colour as for some reason the bumper always gets damaged. Tradition dictates it's repaired with tape! I had two of them and couldn't break them. Don't touch a vauxhall, terrible cars. Had a Vectra on lease at work, lots of space but once you put something in the back or a few passengers there was no acceleration.

got to say, we have several customers at work with both, i definitely see higher bills for the ford owners

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
couldn't say about the mazda, but I've had diesel estate of both vectra and mondeo. The mondeo wins hands down. The vectra was a little more economical (maybe) and cheaper to insure etc, but the modeo (my current car) is more roomy, MUCH more comfortable to drive, more reliable (but that could just be the individual car).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE