Scandi grind Enzo folder- PK70

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
(I posted this review on Britishblades yesterday. I thought it might be of interest to folk here who, like me, might have been hankering after a UK legal folder with a Scandi grind. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not represent the views of BushcraftUK, its members or staff. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is merely coincidence.)

I received my much-anticipated PK70 folder from brisa.fi today. I've been keen to try this knife as I liked Enzo's locking folder (the unfortunately named "Birk") and I have wanted a UK legal edc folder with a scandi grind for ages.

The knife is available with full flat grind blades, too. All are CPM-S30V (unlike the Birk, which also comes in D2). There are a variety of options for scales (eg. Curly Birch) and bolsters (Reindeer horn, titanium etc). I chose the cheapest option -Scandi grind, no bolster, CF scales. Unlike the Birk, unbolstered knives have full width scales.

From the website it appears the bolstered models do not have a pocket clip but this is only an observation.

Here are stats for the PK70 range, lifted from the Brisa website:

Length: 160/92 mm
Weight: 80 g
Blade length: 70 mm
Blade thickness: 2.5 mm
Steel: CPM S30 V
Grind: Scandi (Sc)or Flat (F)
Finish: Satin
Lock: No lock, slipjoint
Frame : Stainless 1.2 mm
Clip: Stainless
Washers: Bronze
Screws: Torx 6 . Pivot Torx 8
Bolster (B):Titanium 6-4
Scales: Interchangeable

Brisa also sell the knife without scales and a drill guide/template is also available so DIY scales will be easy.

So what is it like?

The short answer is, it's gorgeous.

I love its sleek, purposeful lines- very "scandinavian". The nail nick adds a charming scowl. These side-lit pics make the grind lines on the flats and bevels look more coarse than they appear in reality. I like this style of CF finish- very tactile (not too tactical) and pleasing to the eye.

Since most people will be familiar with the excellent Spyderco UKPK I have done some comparison shots:

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

It doesn't look so tidy when closed, but still a compact package:
IMG_4176.jpg

That nail nick is positioned much nearer the tip than most designs. This makes it much easier to open as you have a longer lever to overcome spring pressure. This is just as well since there is very little blade showing to grip when closed. One-hand opening is NOT a realistic option without modification (this will appease our Danish friends):
IMG_4177.jpg

It's a little thicker than the UKPK. The polished, stainless pocket clip (not repositionable) adds another 30% thickness:
IMG_4195.jpg

Despite the lack of choil, I find I can safely initiate blade closure, without moving my fingers from a full grip position, using my thumb on the spine. The sharpened portion of the edge does not contact my finger unless I am gripping the handle unusually far from the pivot. There is a distinct halfway detente position but care should still be taken when closing.

In hand shots (it's quite dinky but not annoyingly so.)
IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

Fit and finish are superb. There are almost no perceptible gaps and the blade is perfectly centered. There is no play in either plane once "locked-up". The grinds are symmetrical.
IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

The pocket clip is slightly clumsy-looking but it has plenty of clearance for thick pocket edges (the Cactus trousers pictured are very chunky). The knife carries tip-up and this cannot be changed (without drilling and tapping new holes.) The clip design allows deep and discreet carry:
IMG_4197.jpg

The Birk and UKPK ride higher (although I haven't pushed the Birk as low as it should be so it isn't an accurate representation, sorry!)
IMG_4200.jpg

What do I think after this short period of ownership?

Pros:

The fit and finish of this example is exemplary
Good quality materials (assuming they are the same as my Birk in CF and S30V)
Scandi or Flat grind options
UK legal EDC
Deep pocket carry
Looks good when open
Pocketable
Pleasant CF, nicely chamfered edges
"Clever" nail nick
Price
Easily Customisable with aftermarket Brisa kits

Cons:

Clip a bit clunky-looking (might be better in satin finish?)
Only one clip position (but this avoids untidy spare holes)
Looks a little untidy when closed- exposed tang may snag?
Lanyard hole edges quite sharp -may fray the CF or the lanyard material?

Summary:

I've only had this knife for one day and as we all know, there is a tendency to gush over shiny new things. However, my initial reaction is that the knife offers a great value EDC option for a very reasonable price. This model was 79 Euros on offer (but just over 90 euros to get it to my sweaty mitts.) I expect the Flat Grind version will suit most people better but for now, this knife is the answer to one of my previously unanswered knife prayers! (Spyderco Slippy in serrated H1 being another...)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I'll post more when I've had a chance to use it. I see it as a go anywhere whittler/wood-worker and this, plus everyday tasks, is what it will be used for.

Thanks to Brisa and Dennis for this new range. I have no conflict of interest/ulterior motive with respect to this product and this review, etc.

UPDATE: I've polished the bevel (a bit) and carved a spoon from a blank as a test of comfort and function as a basic pocket whittler:

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

Halfway -no blisters yet!

IMG_4278.jpg

As much as I'm going to do before letting it dry a bit, will still need a lot of thinning and shaping:

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

There are a few hotspots but as I write this, no blisters have appeared:

IMG_4304.jpg

The spoon is far from finished but the knife has been put through several hours of use (much of which would have been done by axe/saw if I was not doing this as a test.)

My intended role for this knife was as a UK legal whittler and it has excelled in this task. The blade is still plenty sharp enough for more carving. I haven't closely inspected the edge yet but with the naked eye there isn't any gross chipping or rolling. I'll do some macro shots to check this.

I'm still very pleased with this knife.

Last edited:

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
It is used as a mild insult in UK, where it is spelt "Berk", but pronounced the same as "Birk".

Its origin is actually very vulgar -via rhyming slang "Berkeley Hunt", I believe.

If you need it spelling out, here is a link.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Birk is the Scots name for Birch, too.

Edit: Forgot to say how nice that folder looks, I quite fancy one for an EDC.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
that looks great in the open position but i bet that sharp sticky up edge that you see when folded would rip pockets apart double quick and be spikey when you put your hand in your pocket.

other than that, a lovely looking edc knife

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to add more to the review.
Is the knife still in good shape as far as blade play is concerned after such a good workout?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
No play and holding a good edge thus far. Will do some macro pics to check the edge when I have the time and the light.

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
What about changing the side of the clip? Is it possible to use as a left handed person?

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have the curly birch one on the wqay cant wait, this could be the edc i have been waiting for, will take some to beat my ukpk, and even more to beat my caly 3, hoping it will, as i prefere wooden handled knives, and having a legal edc with a s30v steel and a scandi grind, and a cyrly birch handle, just does not get better, the only thing that will drive me nuts is not being able to ipen it one handed as i'm so used to that now.
take care.
lee.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
What about changing the side of the clip? Is it possible to use as a left handed person?

There is only one set of holes for the clip, so unless you drill and tap the scales you only have two choices: clip or no clip.

I don't see why this wouldn't be suitable for a southpaw- the clip will be under your little and ring finger instead of against your palm at the base of those same fingers in a right-handed person.

i have the curly birch one on the wqay cant wait, this could be the edc i have been waiting for, will take some to beat my ukpk, and even more to beat my caly 3, hoping it will, as i prefere wooden handled knives, and having a legal edc with a s30v steel and a scandi grind, and a cyrly birch handle, just does not get better, the only thing that will drive me nuts is not being able to ipen it one handed as i'm so used to that now.
take care.
lee.

It is a very different knife to the UKPK. The draw for me was the Scandi grind (and previous good experience with a bolstered Birk.) I can sympathise with missing one-handed opening as this works so well in a slip joint. However, I think the designer was trying to keep it legal EDC for as many countries as possible. Several european countries are not happy about OHO (eg. Denmark.)

There are aftermarket devices that can be fixed to the spine of a folder, to make it OHO but I'm not sure that would work with this knife (and it would be as ugly as sin!)

Hope you like your birch version.

Last edited:

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
The grip might not be the problem, but "wearing" it in my left front pocket with the blade side to the back.

maxedge

Feb 2, 2012
US
Excellent review and great pictures too. Thank you.

The CPM S30V makes for an excellent blade material. I checked it out at www.simplytoolsteel.com I can't believe that you used that until your hands turned red. That is defintely dedication to a trade.

Thanks again.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice review.

I really like this knife. I took the clip off mine and the exposed back part of the blade is a bit wicked for pocket carry but easily solved with a slip case.

The blade is pretty stout. Nice scandi grind but I do think the new pocket whittler from Flexcut is the better spoon carver because of the thinner large blade. But this is a better made knife overall and a better utility knife than the Flexcut, imo.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Very nice review.

I really like this knife. I took the clip off mine and the exposed back part of the blade is a bit wicked for pocket carry but easily solved with a slip case.

The blade is pretty stout. Nice scandi grind but I do think the new pocket whittler from Flexcut is the better spoon carver because of the thinner large blade. But this is a better made knife overall and a better utility knife than the Flexcut, imo.

I'll have to have a look at that. I've been using a Flexcut Carvin' Jack in situations where I cannot possibly take anymore than one pocket knife. It is a great "jack of all trades, master of none" and is not comfortable for protracted use. Also, pressure on the closed blades while closing an open blade can allow those blades to "overshoot" their resting, closed position. This can be a bit fiddly to sort out. I have some other stuff from flexcut and although it can look a bit cheap'n'nasty, so far I've not had anything fail or underperform.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE