Moments of Joy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
OK folks. When did you last have one of those 'moments' outdoors.

Last night I went for a dusk bimble in my local woodland. I sat down to see what might appear.

5 minutes later a barn owl swept onto a branch about 20ft away from me. As soon as it set eyes on me it silently disappeared down a corridor of trees, its wings catching the last of the failing light. It was a truly beautiful scene that near-enough brought a tear to my eye.

When did bushcraft or nature last bring you that kind of pleasure?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have them everytime i look outside at the moment. The place is buzzing with life. We have all kinds of birds using the connifer as a cheap motel ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sitting watching the newts in the back pond an hour or so ago, and a wren came down beside me, flittered along the edge of the pond picking out tiny things not more than two feet from me :D :D I hardly breathed in case I moved and startled her :cool: Beautiful.

Kind of special :D

atb,
Toddy

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Not a bushcraft moment. But when I saw Susan Doyle on Youtube confound everyone with her fantastic singing on that talent show.

Bushcraft one seeing a small herd of deer on the shore of one of the islands in Loch Lomond on a Monday morning (when the neds had gone), in silence, from a canoe at very close range (25ft).
Alan

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
had this amazing moment in hatfield forest, picked up the trail of a roe deer, very fresh it was.........followed it for about half an hour, rounded a bend and there she was 20 meters in front of me, I stared at it and it stared back, both of us frozen in wonder, it was so still I thought it might have been a cardboard cut out, then I deliberetly broke gaze and looked up again quickly...........it scampered across the track into the woods, truly truly magical.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most recently two sprig to mind.

Last saturday, three red kites caught a thermal off the concrete farm yard in front of the cottage, When we went outside they were...as high as the chimneys?
We watched them soar for 10 minutes

Yesterday we wtache two cock pheasants square off and fight for territory. The whole raise, dip, kick ritual.

Both were fantastic moments.

They pale to insignificance to the short eared owl that has moved in and I still haven't seen (but have heard several times now)

Red

A couple of days ago in my bivi bag sitting in the ditch of an old bronze age fort high up on the morrs overlooking a blackcock lek site at 4am. The light slowly appeared with both the sun and moon in the sky, the whole world appeared to be alseep below me except for me and a handful of blackcock, warbling and screetching away to be illuminated on the crest of mound not far away. Woodcock chased each other along the woodland edge below, grouse gebaked gebaked away in the distance; and I was cosy in my bivi, scope and flask by my side as I counted the birds as they displayed. Awesome. That's twice this week so far. It just so happended I ripped my gastrocnemius muscle in my calf on the walk back to the truck and I'm now on crutches...doh! :eek: So that's next weeks obs out the window!

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
A couple of days ago watching my kids and friends at the edge of Grandads pond dipping with plastic beakers and nets. The delight, horror and fascination when they caught a dragonfly larvae:eek: was priceless !

pwb

A couple of days ago watching a Lapwing swooping again and again at a Cock Pheasant in the middle of a field.
Poor old Pheasant just stood there looking rather confused :) .
Quite a display of flying by the Lapwing though.

Pete.

Last sunday, sat in the middle of sand dunes watching the wind catch the sand and re-shape the dunes before my eyes - tiny little 'landslides', sand banking up against a strand of grass - a beautiful little microcosm.

Also found a great place in the dunes right by the sea to camp.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Bimbling about the orchard last summer checking for damage to the trees and fruit. I wandered down through the long grass to check for hazelnuts in the hedge and just about stood on a baby roe deer in the grass. That was pretty cool. :cool:

Although Its probably the same chuffing deer thats been nibbling the side shoots off the trees through the winter. :rolleyes:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Couple of weeks ago when i took my eldest out for a night out with some friends. She tried wood sorrell for the first time and liked it so much she now looks for it when we're out for a bimble.
It really brought home just how much she actually takes in when i show her simple skills.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
This was the first think that came to mind reading this.......
IMG_0016.jpg

My daughters first fish!!!!!!!:D

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Great posts to read and it's all inspirational stuff (including that singer - I checked her out on youtube!).

It's not quite what I had in mind, but the kids do never cease to bring these moments.

Listening to my 3-year old explain to her grandfather that the sap comes up from the ground in Spring to make the leaves grow on the trees was priceless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE