Moments of irritation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As a necessary counterpoint to the"moments of joy" thread, I thought I would offer one where the supposed wonders of nature can be condemned for the annoyances they so often are.

My case in point- the Night Jar.A beautiful and elusive member of the select group of truly nocturnal singing birds.

I have just heard the strange call that gets twitchers all excited for the first time this year.

Its a strange song and if you have never heard it, you should. Once.

I now have to suffer the little blighters for several months :rant:

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great Tits, :rolleyes: We call them the squeaky wheel birds.............and one sits in the big sycamore behind the houses and squeaks along every morning............at 4.15 :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Flipping Doves at 5:00 am every morning, in the tree right outside the bedroom window. Noisy little blighters. And the whole streets bloody cats bang at in our back garden every other night screaming like banshees, the other nights they sit on the shed roof tormenting the dogs. I am seriously considering a deadfall trap in the back garden for the cats. Are they legal on private property?:)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Cockatiels caged in the bedroom trying to out do the jackdaws and ravens at silly o'clock in the morning. They can certainly hit the high notes when they want to.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Cuckoos.... I was staying in a wood down in East Sussex for the last week and I got woken up at the crack of dawn every sodding morning by one :censored:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The tweet bird... could not see the little blighter, let alone know what it was.. all it would say was: tweeeeeeEEE, tweeeeeEE, tweeeeeEE, and so on, in the most boring monotonous voice.... I ended throwing handfuls of gravel in the bush to shut it up..:eek: but he kept coming back.:aargh4:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

What are we like ???

Moan, moan, moan :rolleyes: :D

You know that in other parts of the world they eat wee birds ? :bluThinki

cheers,
Toddy

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
All you bushcrafty type folks moaning about nature.

ROFL, the irony of irionies or what? bet you lot are dead fun round a camp at early o clock in the morning. Not.

Buy some ear plugs, move the bird cage, invest in insect repellant and a bug jacket, and stop monging.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Cats. Around here they seem to have mastered the art of imitating a babies cry.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
well I'm pretty tolerent of almost anything but there was one occasion that really annoyed me............and it was completely my own fault!!, When I first used a hammock and a tarp combo, I didn't make the tarp sides steep enough, and I didn't realise that the hammock folded out into something much bigger.............................about 3 o'clock I woke up, freezing and wet :( , sat up, fell out of the hammock:puppy_dog , knocked the guide line over connected to the tarp, got covered in water again:banghead: :banghead: and finally made it into the storm tent I had pinched off a mate for the trip....... I had anticipated something like this might happen..........but i've never made the same mistakes again :D:D

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
i found jiff lemon usually tends to sort out the cats its citrus an i have not found a cat yet that likes the tast as it drys an sticks to the fur an a supper soaker lol much better than killing em

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Just a couple of weekends ago, heard - for the first time - an alarmed muntjack (or was it a Chinese Water Deer?) about five feet from my head at three o'clock in the morning while out soloing in my hammock. Thought a banshee was about to commit a crime against my person in a particularly bloodthirsty and gruesome manner...

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
The cherry tree just on the street outside my front door.

This time of year it flowers, all very pretty and that, but it will soon ouze out this sticky stuff that sticks the petals on anything underneath it, like my car. When that's over, the pigeons move in to eat the black fruit, and we all know what pigeons like doing, except it's black and set's solid. Pip an' all.

This year we have new neighbours, who insist on parking their moped in a whole car space, with their other car outside their door, on the street again, meaning I have to park up the road, or in the few times I can park outside my house, I've been blocked in by this bloody moped when he's squeezed into the tiniest of gaps. Even on the rare occasion I have prime spot outside my house, but need to pop out, they'll be watching through the window to move their car into the space by the time I get back.

After watching them spend, what seemed like the good part of a Sunday afternoon, washing, hoovering and waxing their vehicles, we formulated a plan and moved the wifes car (which needs the water pump fixing), just out of range of the cherry tree, but leaving just enough space for both their scooter and car to recieve full effect in what will be just a matter of days......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE