A couple of walks with lots of pictures and some lessons learned....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The first one was on september 19th.
It was a rainy day, but I wanted to go back to a site where I found a bones from a deer, or at least I think it was. It was a good opportunity to try out my Swiss army gaiters and my old German army poncho. The rain gave the forrest a complete transformation; it was dark, silent and a bit ominous, too.
The gaiters and poncho performed great. I did get wet knees however, but that might be because I kept pulling up my arms automatically when going through the undegrowth. Something I would not do with one of those lightweight ribstop ponchos, but this one still has that “good, old coldwar”- quality!
The rain muffled most sounds around me, but the poncho’s hood blocked out any sound, so I quickly took that off. I really didn’t like stumbling through the woods deaf...

Some water;
DSC05126.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

When I arrived at the sight I noticed something had been moving the bones around and gnawed on them.

DSC05129.jpg

The perpetrator even lets his mark;
DSC05145.jpg

There were a number of gametrails;
DSC05137.jpg

DSC05141.jpg

Following one of those trails about 30 meters deeper into the woods I found something else
DSC05133.jpg

More water;
DSC05143.jpg

DSC05144.jpg

DSC05147.jpg

me;
DSC05149.jpg

The next one was the 24th and this one was a completely different walk.
The weather had improved very much. It was sunny with a slight breeze and about 17 °C. On this walk I took my 8-year old daughter with me. I had promissed here a number of times I would and today I was able to fullfill that promise.
She loves the woods allmost more than I do!

Off we go! Should be fun when some bad Indiana Jones-lookalike as your guide, right? :rolleyes:
DSC05210.jpg

She really wanted to see the bonesite and the trails, so we went there. After studying the bones, the mosses, which were still soaked full of water and felt like wet sponges, lots of mushrooms, she found something!

DSC05214.jpg

She was as proud as a peacock!

Later we turned our attention to food.
She has a girlscout messkit, similar to the one I have, but not as old and made of aluminium, which she brought and she insisted on having bacon and scrambled eggs. A chip of the old block in many ways.... *insert proud-dad-grin here*

DSC05218.jpg

DSC05220.jpg

DSC05221.jpg

DSC05223.jpg

I told here about preparing food, taking care of your kit and cleaning it, makling camp and how to leave your campsite behind. I actually had the feeling that she paid attention and listened to what I said.... for once... :cool:

Afterwards we discovered some tracks and she was fascinated and completely hooked;
DSC05233.jpg

Deer?
DSC05224.jpg

Don’t know....
DSC05226.jpg

And who’s might this be ?
DSC05230.jpg

Than we had to head back home agian, but not without additional pictures!!

DSC05232.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05246.jpg

The next pictures have been taken by her, using the simplest of digital cameras;
100_3953.jpg

The way she sees me, a glorious rolemodel....
100_3955.jpg

And then there was yesterday’s walk. This one would prove to be a good lesson, too!
I wasn’t feeling all too well and my head was kind off misty, too. I was not focussed. I quickly got dressed, grabbed my backpack and breadbag, which is with me on each walk since I got it. I just love the thing! And I headed for the woods again. Maybe some fresh air would clean up my head....

I still found plenty of water;
DSC05316.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

And a place that looked for putting up a shelter if needed;
DSC05318.jpg

DSC05319.jpg

The forrests are magical this time of year......
DSC05327.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

Mystical and mysterious....
DSC05339.jpg

And ever changing. One minute you are walking here...
DSC05333.jpg

And a few steps away you are here...
DSC05346.jpg

I finally ended up in a place I know.
It is the site of and old and abandoned outdooractivitycentre,
DSC05351.jpg

but the meaning of the words “leave only footprints” fell of deaf ears, unfortunately.
DSC05354.jpg

Luckily this is out of site from the first place, as is a large decaying wooden platform, deeper into the woods. On that are still the remnants of an old tent. I guess a 12 or 20-man Swedish army tent and some sleepingbagcovers.

I like this place, however, because it is quite and I had an nice little meeting with a squirrel here, about 5 years ago. When I first got here, I heard it call in the trees and I stopped and just sat down. After a little while it popped up and when it saw I didn’t move, it came closer..... and even closer....
Untill it stopped on a branch about 3 meters away from me. We had eyecontact and I even talked to it in a slow and low voice. This lasted for at least a good 10 minutes and then it wandered off again.... I felt amazed....

Anyway....
Here I was and it was about lunchtime. So I openend up my ruck and.... nothing! I had actually forgotten to take my messkit, BSA or Swedish! I even left my firesteel and axe at home... I felt stupid.... So I just had some food and water. I will live....
This got me thinking.... There are alternatives to making fire. I did have my firetin with lighter and all with me, but still.... This might be a good opportunity to try a firebow. There has to be a first time for everything....
I got to work. I found some dead pine I would use for a board, I cut a birchbrach for the bow and a Rowanbrach dor a drill. I also gathered some tinder, some branches of all sizes and while doing this I noticed the silence had gone. I could here birds singing again and I even saw them getting closer again, hopping from tree to tree, from branch to branch, watching that strange human in green clothes....

Find the bird...
DSC05357.jpg

There’s actually three of them...

After a while i got the hang of it. I could keep the drill spinning without it popping out of the handblock. At first I used a “hollow” piece of rock, but that didn’t work. So I made one from wood.
I drilled and drilled, but very little happened; just a bit of smock, the faint smell of wood heating up and some slight discolouring of the tips. At least I know how to make one, now......

DSC05359.jpg

I decided to follow an abondoned lumbertrack, now reclaimed by the hills and turned into a mountainstream.
DSC05355.jpg

After a while I caught myself breaking little dams of twigs and leaves just to see how fast the water would go, what path it would take and how long it would take to clear up again...
Fascinating how water finds its way and leaves its mark on the landscape so soon..

DSC05349.jpg

Shortly afterwards I headed back home again, feeling feverish, complete with painfull joints, a heavy bumping head... the works....

But I did get out and learned a few things!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE