Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I too am looking forward to seeing this, it's going to be epic! Brilliant design there, I love the way you draw things out first and know what you're doing before you do it with all your projects. I really should try that sometime!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It's a woman thing :) Actually I have very little idea what I'm doing but thought if I could do it freehand to scale, I *should* be able to scratch it out... she's an art nouveau print that I've ripped, John, so probably a niad- I just liked her :)

The opportunity to use yours, Wayland, was something of a revelation and it came just in time to become a doodle pad for this etching malarky before I risk it on a homemade blade. I'm having great fun with it :) and thanks for the encouragement lads!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Life's thrown me a few wide balls to field lately so I haven't been 'gittin r dun' to my satisfaction, so in a fit of pique, I nailvarnish resist etched the turbogirl side so I could get the sheath done for this weekends NorthWoods work parties- lets face it, they're chocolate teapots if they look beaut but I don't have the experience to use them!

282837_3781693295315_662189814_n.jpg

There's a few areas where the saline has crept under the varnish and discoloured- I need to polish the resisted areas back for 'pop'ability and a mosaic pin pupil.... it's a work in progress :)

And here's the sheath- just simple and practical toe-and-fingersaver really!
563315_3781692775302_1821858233_n.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
gbth1.jpg

I kept mine simple, after a while debating about what to do with it after 'sorting it out' from it's factory form I wanted it to look like a normal axe. I've removed the paint and forging marks from the head (spray on stripper and falp disc), reprofiled the blade, shortened the top and bottom of the handle, removed the stain, oiled and waxed it (babybell wax!) and made a quick card/duct tape sheath!

good bit of fun these tools and worth the pennies!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I'm sure i've seen it in a thread somewhere but can't find it.....who's selling the Trail Hawk for the best price??

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I thought I'd just add to this thread and show what I've done to the second Trailhawk I managed to get hold of.
The original owner had done a very nice job of cleaning and generally fettling the Hawk, but I've been on the lookout for another head to have a play with as I wanted to have a go at losing some of the weight, not that there is much to start with and changing the lines of the blade a bit.

Quick sketch on the blade with a marker pen to see where I'm going.

002_zps0289d2ff.jpg

On the workbench, much of the work done.....

008_zps3cdc6fc8.jpg

What it looks like so far, with my other head as a reference. I also took the chance to round off all the sharp edges so that the head is much more comfortable to hold in the hand when using it without the haft.
010_zps06de8c84.jpg

The pair as they stand today. I'm still dithering about taking a bit more off the curve and maybe thinning the poll a wee bit, but I know from experience it's easier to take away than to put back so I'll give it a day or so and see how it grows on me.
013_zpsb5abea14.jpg

Last edited:

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hate to resurrect an old thread but...I am not sure if I just wasted a couple of hours of life that I'll never get back reading this, or if I got some free and easy entertainment, or if I now have managed to set my self up for another project...sigh.

Would be keen on seeing the sheaths that have been made for these but.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Some Cold steel hawks I've modded. :)

Spike hawk.

Norse hawk.

And finally a trail hawk, bare nones style.

I can't afford leather usually, so I just knock up a quick mask from an old belt or something and sell/trade the finished product to move on to the next one for fun.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hate to resurrect an old thread but...I am not sure if I just wasted a couple of hours of life that I'll never get back reading this, or if I got some free and easy entertainment, or if I now have managed to set my self up for another project...sigh.

Don't worry, it's nice to see some old threads raising their heads again.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the mask I made otherwise I'll take a shot when it stops raining here.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia

Here is one of mine that I made up for a friend.

Amazing work, all. Love the picture with the Trail Hawk next to the GF axe.

I have a Norse hawk and a Trail hawk. I'll have to post pictures sometime. I'm waiting on a couple handles at the moment. I cut the Trail Hawk's handle too short and I was never super happy with the fitment of my Norse (I sanded off too much).

I will say though, the Trail Hawk with the short handle makes for a great little tool. It offers a lot of control for more precision cutting. I was trimming a piece of pine the other day to make stops for a sanding block holder and the little Hawk really surprised me.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
So I gave in today and got one, last one in the shop and it even came with an aftermarket mask/sheath thingy that does not fit...
Took it home removed screw, took off head, smoothed inside of head with a round file and then a dremel, then sanded and smoothed out the handle, looks ok, grain going wrong way, sigh, boiled linseed oil makes it look real nice though.

15 more minutes with the dremel removed the black gunk from the bottom and sides, left it in place on the top. Going to do a vinegar soak tomorrow.

Hit it with a DC4, then into the kitchen with the ceramic rod I use for the kitchen knives (note to self:will the spyderco sharp maker work on it), then gave the head a go on the chicken for dinner, not quite as good as the kitchen knives but way better than I had feared and about as good as I had hoped, will see what happens when I strop it...

Want to try the beard thing though, had reason to buy an angle grinder last week so will have a play...lots of fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE