Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...or how to make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Foreword:
The CS trail hawk is a cheap and cheerful tool, but lightweight and amazingly versatile. In the stock package, it's ugly, it looks mass-produced (because it is) and the factory edge is lamentable. But with a little tlc it can be turned into a beautiful and very functional tool.

For those who havent seen this video, it's well worth a watch as it illustrates the versatility of this tool very well...

[video=youtube;6pvv97vPLHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvv97vPLHk[/video]

OK, so on with modding the axe...

Part 1: The Basics.

When the axe arrives from the factory, it comes with a coat of black paint, it comes with a flat-ground and rather unimpressive edge, a fairly large curve on the edge, a fairly useless set screw in the head, a big "American Tomahawk Co." sticker on the side, a pretty rough handle and no sheath (tbh, an axe this blunt doesnt really need one)....

hawkmod001.jpg

hawkmod003.jpg

(very poor edge)

But not to worry, a little work will transform it. For this mod, I'm just going to concentrate on making the axe into the simplest, most versatile tool with little in the way of embellishment. There are lots of ways to embellish these axes, but many of them interfere with the versatility of the tool. For me, being able to "pop" the head off at will is crucial, so I wont do anything to this one that will limit it's take-down functionality.

The first thing to do is locate the set screw on the side of the axe...

hawkmod004.jpg

Remove it using an Allen wrench and bin it! We wont be needing that again.

Now to remove the head for the first time. Bear in mind that these hafts were probably hammered into the head when they were put on at the factory and since then, the axe has travelled from Taiwan to the UK, so expect some change in moisture content and dimensional change of the handle. In all likelihood, the head will be very tight and will not simply slip off.

Before even trying to remove the head, you first need to give the handle a light sanding with coarse paper to remove the coating. Once that's done, the next step it to tap the butt of the handle lightly on a solid floor. All you want to do is move the head down the haft about 2cm. Take care though, the haft can be damaged very easily at this point - in fact I will go as far as to say you will damage the haft and it's really about minimising it. The first one I removed, I did with too much force and gouged deep groves in the haft. The problem is that the inside of the eye is very rough and the edges have burrs. Some damage cant be avoided, but by sanding a little first and then going a little at a time, you can minimise it.

The leading edge of the eye has a burr as mentioned and will "shave" the haft as you tap it off...

hawkmod005.jpg

The trick is to go 2cm and then knock it back up a cm, rub off any shavings and smooth it out by lightly rubbing with sandpaper. Then take another 2cm bite out of it. Again, as the head starts to shave the haft, knock it back up, remove any shavings and lightly sand smooth. Repeat as necessary until the head drops off.

Once the head is off, then go over the haft with sandpaper again, smoothing out any marks you have made. Take care NOT to sand the area where the head actually sits. You can fit that to a perfect hand & glove fit later if you wish, but for now the object is just to get to the point where the head slides easily all the way on and off the handle.

Before attempting to re-fit the head, you should de-burr the inside of the eye...

hawkmod006.jpg

It doesnt take long to give it a rub with coarse sandpaper just to take the sharp edges off. This will help greatly in smoothly fitting the head on and off the haft and minimise any further damage. Remember to rub over the threaded hole where the set screw was, as this also has burrs that can damage the handle.

Take a minute to do the same to the top of the eye, although this is not as crucial as the bottom, as the eye is conical.

hawkmod007.jpg

Once the head will pop off with a single tap and re-seat securely with a single tap on the opposite end, we are ready to move on.

Next, taking a sharp knife, scrape or shave off the adhesive label...

hawkmod008.jpg

The label is not of the easy peel type, but probably meant to stay on there. A sharp knife makes short work of it. Dont worry about marring the paint, that is coming off too.

hawkmod009.jpg

OK, so now it's time to take the paint off. Sanding doesnt work well as the steel is drop-forged and heavily textured. If you sand, you'll just remove paint from the high spots and leave the paint in all the depressions. You'd have to remove a lot of steel off the head to get rid of all the paint using abrasives. Fortunately, it comes off very easily with chemical paint strippers.

After 30 minutes in Nitromors, the head is stripped back to raw, grey steel...

hawkmod010.jpg

It works very well, just wash off the Nitromors or whatever, with warm, soapy water and dry with a paper towel. Even the "Taiwan" etch has almost dissapeared...

hawkmod011.jpg

At this stage you can also clearly see the hardening lines on both the blade and the poll, where the head has been differentially hardened.

We are making progress. You could simply sharpen the edge, oil the head and handle and call it done if you wish....

hawkmod012.jpg

But there is more to do before I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Part 2: Reprofiling the Edge.

Changing the profile of an axe is a very personal thing. Much depends on what you want the axe for, what your intended purpose is, the kind of things you want to cut, the type of wood etc. There is nothing wrong with the general curve of the hawk edge or the edge itself really, if you are happy with it, go with it. But I want something sharper, that bites deeper, releases easier and I also want a squarer cut profile, which means I need to take some of that curve out. The very exaggerated curve of this hawk will aid penetration, but wont be so good for shaping, planing and square cutting wood. I'm not an axe carver in any way, but some rudimentary ability to shape wood is useful for making points on sticks, chiselling notches, planing wood flat etc. To that end, a flatter, squarer edge is better. I had a play in photoshop to see what I could come up with and I think this is where I'm heading....

hawkmod014.jpg

I'm going to flatten out that curve, dropping the belly down to nearer the heel, this will give a squarer attack and flatter cutting profile - well that's the theory anyway.

There is certainly no "best" profile and I am not suggesting you have to do this step, it's up to you.

The overlay allows me to mark on the edge with a marker pen where I'm going to remove metal (the green bit in the pic). You dont need to go to the trouble of experimenting in photoshop and to be honest, if I wasn't writing this, I'd of probably just got stuck in and done it using the Mark I eyeball. But it serves to illustrate the point (no pun intended), for this article.

The steel of the hawk is not particularly hard, so there are various ways you can re-shape, but power tools will make short work of it. You can use anything really, an angle grinder is a good tool, cheap to buy, most people have one and you can get a billion different heads for them. A bench grinder would work too, but maybe a bit aggressive and has a tendency to make everything curved in the wrong direction. Light touches would be the way with that. But I have one of those combo belt/disc sanders that will do the job nicely.

First up, reshape the curve....

hawkmod020.jpg

hawkmod021.jpg

There's no going back now. I've taken about 4mm out of the radius and the steel at the thickest part of the edge is now about 3mm thick. Sanding an edge back in by hand would be a lot of work, so think carefully if you are considering flatting out the edge and are bereft of power tools.

Now time to convex the edge. I think it's a pretty much universally accepted truth that convex edges are best on pretty much all types of axe and I've no intention of bucking the trend. I dont plan on using this axe for digging roots or felling 3 foot trees, so I think I can afford a fairly thin edge profile. This will make the axe exceptionally sharp, but could make it vulnerable to damage. We'll see how it goes. It's pretty easy to beef up the edge if it proves to be too thin in use, just by sharpening it at a steeper angle. On to the belt then...

hawkmod019.jpg

A few minutes work and it's starting to look something like...

hawkmod018.jpg

When I was happy that the meat of the work had been done, it's over to the leather pad and wet & dry paper to polish it in a bit, smooth everything out and start to form the real edge...

hawkmod022.jpg

Starting with the coarse grits, it doesnt take long to put a nice edge in.

OK so how does that flattened profile look compared to the original..

Before...

hawkmod013.jpg

After...

hawkmod017.jpg

Pretty good I think. The difference is easy to see and pretty true to the photoshop mock. I'm not sure if it will make a massive difference in use, I hope it will. I didnt do this step on the first axe I modded, so I will have a real world comparison to let me know if it is worth it. I'll feed back on that in the fullness of time.

So how about that convex edge...

Before...

hawkmod003.jpg

After...

hawkmod016.jpg

Again, I'm pretty pleased with it. I've actually left the axe with a dull edge - well, when I say dull, it's all relative. It's far, far sharper than when it came and is perfectly usable as is, but it's not yet shaving sharp. There is a reason for that, the next step - passivating the steel - involves the use of some pretty aggressive acids and any work I do now putting a super-sharp razor edge on the axe, will just be undone.

I'm not suggesting this is the only type of edge that should be put on this axe, it's very personal. Sharpen it the way you want, but hopefully this will give you some ideas. I dont know how good this profile will be yet, but it should be pretty good I think.

Update:
Having seen a little mod Wayland has done to his hawk, I decided to shamelessly copy it before moving on. It's mostly cosmetic, but may have a function. It's basically putting a sweeping curve on the lower edge of the axe so that ...well, a picture speaks a thousand words...

hawkmod024.jpg

There are lots of ways of doing this, I think Wayland said he used a hacksaw fitted with a tile-cutting blade to cut it and then smoothed it out with a sander. You could use an angle grinder to grind it out, but in my case, back to the old belt/disc combo sander.

hawkmod025.jpg

Very quick - 15 minutes or so and job done. We've created a bit of a beard. Mostly cosmetic/aesthetic, but the axe does look more authentic and so much nicer now and there is more space for fingers if you are choking the head. Putting this curve in has removed 20g of steel. This and the edge re-profiling work has removed somewhere around 30g-35g of steel and reduced the overall weight of the head down to exactly 300g.

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
yeah it looks a hell of a lot better, but if your really going to use it like i use mine you want as much rust-proofing as possible lol, so i left the paint on mine... do you have any way of reducing the rusting other than oiling and cleaning constantly?

Last edited:

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
yeah it looks better, but if your really going to use it like i use mine you want as much rust-proofing as possible so i left the paint on mine... do you have any way of reducing the rusting other than oiling and cleaning constantly?

Wait for "Part 3: Passivating the Steel."

Using a browning (or bluing) solution creates a 'barrier' layer of oxide that prevents rust very effectively if you also oil the blade, and it looks great too.

Some info on this post: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65716&p=796674#post796674

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
hmmm... will have to test that on a old bit of scrap first, i like the silver forged look after you have taken the paint off. *sigh* i will just have to look after it lol!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
sorry to ask loads of questions... i took the screw thing out of my cold steel frontier hawk and the head just rattles around on the handle and is a bit rubbish so im going to have to put a screw back in it to make it work again... doesnt yours do this after a bit of use? (if anyone would be so kind to not throw their screw away and put it in a envelope with my address on it i would be very grateful :D).

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
sorry to ask loads of questions... i took the screw thing out of my cold steel frontier hawk and the head just rattles around on the handle and is a bit rubbish so im going to have to put a screw back in it to make it work again... doesnt yours do this after a bit of use? (if anyone would be so kind to not throw their screw away and put it in a envelope with my address on it i would be very grateful :D).

This is why you bin the screw straight out of the box, and take some time to fit the head properly. In use, the head would move up the handle, just wedging itself. The set screw stops this from happening and forces a "shoulder" to form at the top of the eye. The result is a badly fitting, wobbly head that refuses to seat properly. It's a terrible way of securing a head on an axe. The bad thing is it is a wholly unecessary way to fit the head. If some time is taken to make a good friction fit, it'll be solid as a rock. Wait for Part 4, I'll go into it in detail and with pictures. :)

Last edited:

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Now you've made me want one of these too! I was all set on the "Norse Tomahawk" but now I'm not so sure...

Still, the tutorials will still apply, I may have to invest in both at some time :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE