Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm wondering if a belt sander is man enough for the job of re profiling the beard and business end of the trail hawk (we're on a coarse belt)?

And I have a dumb question.... what should I consider for calculating the length of the shaft, are there 'fools guidelines' like the length of your elbow to fingertips for a good efficicent and ergonomic tool? It'll be my usual carry and mostly I want to learn to carve rather than split so am presuming its more about a shorter balance... I've only used axes for woodsplitting along the grain so I'm trying to envision something I've not got much knowledge of :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm wondering if a belt sander is man enough for the job of re profiling the beard and business end of the trail hawk (we're on a coarse belt)?

And I have a dumb question.... what should I consider for calculating the length of the shaft, are there 'fools guidelines' like the length of your elbow to fingertips for a good efficicent and ergonomic tool? It'll be my usual carry and mostly I want to learn to carve rather than split so am presuming its more about a shorter balance... I've only used axes for woodsplitting along the grain so I'm trying to envision something I've not got much knowledge of :)

I'm sure someone with far more experience than me can give you a better steer - but here's how I see it - A longer handle will always give you more welly and allow for two handed grips, a shorter one more control. However you can choke up on a long handle, but can't lengthen a short one. And as it's a takedown you can remove the head for even more controlled cuts. So go for the longest practical handle length (for packing etc.).

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
As above longest handle you can carry is best. Mine is sized to fit side pocket of my pack where I carry it between pack and pocket.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Generally I agree
Although there will be a point where the length becomes obstructing when choking up the handle. the bit sticking out the back may snag or be too heavy to allow a reasonable balance.

The other thing to remember if going for a long handle is if you have walking pole carriers on your pack you could attach the handle to the outside of the pack.
That way there's not really a limiting factor from the point of view of carrying.

Mark

Biker

I'm sure someone with far more experience than me can give you a better steer - but here's how I see it - A longer handle will always give you more welly and allow for two handed grips, a shorter one more control. However you can choke up on a long handle, but can't lengthen a short one. And as it's a takedown you can remove the head for even more controlled cuts. So go for the longest practical handle length (for packing etc.).

With a take down axe you could make yourself two handles and use whichever one suits the best for the task required.

In a box in my workshop I have an old WW2 entrenching tool and small pick axe head. (I had to dig 3 feet down in my garden last year to find our septic tank and these tools worked wonders in a hole) anyway between these two heads I have just the one handle. Not quite the same analogy but you get my meaning ... I hope

On a different tack. Well replied Wayland. Didn't get off to a good start that fella did he? Oh well, good to see our good moderators being so on the ball. Nice one!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Firstly, how blooming daft of me not to have thought of that! Cheers Biker!! Dunno what to say about the second bit ;)
Hi Sal - it looks like handles will be your downfall!
I see you fixed up your knife handle OK though ... and now we have the answer to the hawk handle as well...
Bikers quote seems to make him sound a bit Zephod-ish....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmm.. Seems like this is a good tool for dispatching Trolls too.
Good work Johan.
happy0065.gif

I just tried using the hawk for a while and saw where I tended to hold it. After a few different jobs I soon worked out an average position and made sure I had just enough handle for the longest position I needed.

Wayland

Hárbarðr

I'm sure I don't need to tell you Sal to be careful not to overheat the blade and spoil the temper.

You would probably find a grinder would be more effective though.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
mine is nearly done paint stripped reprofiled new bevel sharpened, just need to make a leather mask for it now, but that is going to take me a bit, as i want to do something different with this axe mask.
will do some pics when all done.
take care.
lee.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats my next stage too :) Got the handle nice enough now and the paint off and have been fantasizing about an all over etch on a smooth blade, is it feasable to etch a large area in comparison to a small blade makers mark? Don't suggest a car battery, HWMBO has already suggested it ;)

I'm thinking of sacrificing a mosaic pin to the grub screw, is it ok to tap that in..ie threaded n locktited, not with the blunt end of a large axe!

Thats my next stage too :) Got the handle nice enough now and the paint off and have been fantasizing about an all over etch on a smooth blade, is it feasable to etch a large area in comparison to a small blade makers mark? Don't suggest a car battery, HWMBO has already suggested it ;)

I'm thinking of sacrificing a mosaic pin to the grub screw, is it ok to tap that in..ie threaded n locktited, not with the blunt end of a large axe!

That sounds cool :)

When you say you're putting a pin in, that won't stop you being able to take it apart will it?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

I've heard of people etching large areas extremely fast with a car battery! Go for it!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
WWWYA, I'll make sure my pin doesn't protrude into the shank, a timely reminder there thanks :) Thats part of the reason I wanted to run a die down it so it'll have a good area to make it fast rather than drill out the threads and risk it being insecure :)

I really thought HWMBO was after the insurance money again when he suggested a car battery, Sasquatch! I might div around with the dremel 1st tho... *now wheres that big chicken smilie...*

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
WWWYA, I'll make sure my pin doesn't protrude into the shank, a timely reminder there thanks :) Thats part of the reason I wanted to run a die down it so it'll have a good area to make it fast rather than drill out the threads and risk it being insecure :)

I really thought HWMBO was after the insurance money again when he suggested a car battery, Sasquatch! I might div around with the dremel 1st tho... *now wheres that big chicken smilie...*

Leave the dremel - scratch your design into nail varnish then use a 9v battery and a cotton wool pad soaked in saltwater. You just have to keep moving at a fairly even speed.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've got my reprofiling and light surface work done, just the etch and then an edge and sheath :)

I've got a bit carried away with the designs.....
536151_3655476019962_430222999_n.jpg

It's going to be very girly ;) Here's the other side....
562147_3655477179991_783208158_n.jpg

Have I caught up with you yet, Lee?! Can't wait to see this batch of mods through the thread :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE