Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
PC210021.jpg

Ah! here we are!

i have one of these as well is there anybody on here that could reshape more like a hawk ?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
could be. Theres no markings on it though.

I once owned a real old firemans axe head. A bit heftier than this, it had a crown stamped on it, (the rest of the mark was illegible) and an odd way of fitting to the haft. (long gone)

Instead of those two lugs, the head had a long flat tang, which went in a slot in the haft. This was then fitted with a steel sheath and rivetted on.

It was very heavy.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
could be. Theres no markings on it though.

I once owned a real old firemans axe head. A bit heftier than this, it had a crown stamped on it, (the rest of the mark was illegible) and an odd way of fitting to the haft. (long gone)

Instead of those two lugs, the head had a long flat tang, which went in a slot in the haft. This was then fitted with a steel sheath and rivetted on.

It was very heavy.

Bit more info for you...
maxi

The other axe you refer to, was probably sheathed in rubber, not steel (though there may have been a steel sheathed variant). The rubber handle was supposed to protect from high voltage.

These axes were never intended as wood cutting/splitting axes, there were actually an early form of forced entry tool, used mainly for breaking doors down, smashing windows, chopping cables etc. There were generally fairly flat bladed and not very suitable as wood cutting tools. Given that old naval boarding axes were mainly used for cutting lines, opening hatches and knocking down cabin doors, the similarity to the firemans axe is unsurprising. In fact, it may be that early firemans axes were actually naval boarding axes.

This is the more modern type with the rubber handle...
firemansaxe.jpg

They are often found with the rubber missing or damaged and have a flat steel shaft running the length of the handle. They are made from a single piece of flat steel, but have the same head & spike profile as the earlier version.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Back to the subject of the Trail Hawk. I've got mine now. It came with a horribly loose head held in place by the Allen key. The head had gouged shelves for itself in the handle. The head was really tough to get off and as has been stated, shaved the handle most of the way down. My handle is not great and has some cross-grain and grain break-outs. Not sure how long it will last.

So far I have smoothed the head burring, stripped off the head paint, re-profiled the edge with a mill file to a convex (but left it quite thick), patina'd the head in some vinegar then oiled it, sanded the handle to get rid of the shelves, applied a little wood dye to the handle and oiled it and refitted the head. I like some further mods I have seen : sheath (will have to do this), leather laced over-strike protection (looks nice but doesn't this defeat the purpose of being able to slide the head off?), and a wrapped cord at the end of the handle to stop it sliding out of the hand (ditto). What are folks' thoughts on these? All in all a very nice portable tool for about £120 less than the GB version...

A quick chop at some kindling proved it to be fairly effective on small wood.

The Cold Steel catalogue that came with it had some dodgy stuff in it and went straight in the bin !

NS

Last edited:

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I ordered two and one of them arrived on Christmas Eve morning :)

Luckily (for me) the one that I have was drop dead easy to remove the head from. I removed the set screw and gave the whole assembly an experimental tap on the pavement and, to my amazement, the head slipped effortlessly off the handle without any witness marks left behind.

Unfortunately, the I've had no time to tinker with it as yet, but I have grand plans. I intend making a twin-handle arrangement where a pair of handles will be carried with the head fitted to the longest. I have a daft idea for a shorter handle for kindling and carving work, and a longer one for scalping zombies...

:)

I think two handles and one head make a lot of sense and, combined, they probably take up no more room with no weight penalty when compared to my Scandinavian Forest Axe.

To be honest, my most used axe for camp-related stuff is probably my GB wildlife hatchet, which is almost right on the money for the vast majority of what I do outdoors. The mini hatchet is just a shade too small for me, but the wildlife hatchet is pretty close to ideal, so carrying the Scandinavian Forest Axe is serious overkill on my part and always means I am overgunned and under-utilised. I am a great believer in gathering suitable material rather than trying to reduce unsuitable material to a desired size and/or shape with lots of unnecessary labour intensive axe work. Anyway, I will join into the fray in a few days when I get the opportunity to play :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> I like some further mods I have seen : sheath (will have to do this), leather laced over-strike protection (looks nice but doesn't this defeat the purpose of being able to slide the head off?), and a wrapped cord at the end of the handle to stop it sliding out of the hand (ditto). What are folks' thoughts on these? <Snip

So far my thoughts are much like yours, apart from the edge guard, they seem visually nice but problematic in a practical sense to me.

We'll see what Martyn has to say about them.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
So far my thoughts are much like yours, apart from the edge guard, they seem visually nice but problematic in a practical sense to me.

We'll see what Martyn has to say about them.

As I said in the OP....

For this mod, I'm just going to concentrate on making the axe into the simplest, most versatile tool with little in the way of embellishment. There are lots of ways to embellish these axes, but many of them interfere with the versatility of the tool. For me, being able to "pop" the head off at will is crucial, so I wont do anything to this one that will limit it's take-down functionality.

Without being able to easily take the axe down, it's no more or less useful than any other hatchet really. However, the (oiled) leather over-strike protector, though largely cosmetic, just slips on and off. The handle is slightly conical all the way down, so the collar gets tighter as you slide it up to the head. The last inch or so has to be forced on, but it still comes off easily enough to allow easy take down. If ever it gets too loose, you just re-tie the laces. The leather braid is just looped through the lanyard hole with a Prusik knot, so dead easy to remove.

hawkextras01.jpg

hawkextras02.jpg

hawkextras03.jpg

But yes, anything that stops you taking the head off easily is a bad idea IMO and limits the function of the axe for no good reason.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Start mine this weekend, borrowed a mates sander to make the job easier!:)

Mine is an older one though, no grub screw and no sticker (it was given by the same mate & noted collector of sharp and shineys!)
Who knows how long it had been in a drawer before I got it!

Is anyone making & selling sheaths for these yet?

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Identical..............as far as I can see.

My mate did used to be a very active collector/importer, I'm certain it will be a genuine CS model. I guess I'll have to see how I get on with it

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
If it's the standard round pellet Ferric Chloride crystals you are after I have half a dozen or so bags in the workshop right now.

Most of my work is either forge welded and/or has a hamon so I always keep plenty to hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE