Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
hmmm... a completely different axe already... not sure im brave enough to reprofile it like that, but i might give mine a bit of a convex edge.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland_Hawk.jpg

Phase two, shortened haft and reshaped hand space, trimmed top a little, slight alteration of blade geometry and a bit taken out of the belly.

Needs sharpening now.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Spotted this
140.jpg
on E-bay Link I know it's 960 gms but that's total weight don't know how much the shaft weighs ? forgot to ask that when I emailed to ask if the head comes off or is fixed ? It comes off was the answer.
just thought I'd share cheers Danny

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayland_Hawk.jpg

Phase two, shortened haft and reshaped hand space, trimmed top a little, slight alteration of blade geometry and a bit taken out of the belly.

Needs sharpening now.

Ooohhhh, I like that bottom curve very much. :) How much has it change the weight of the head? Did you cut it with an angle grinder? I might borrow that idea. :)

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I didn't do anything smart like weighing the head before cutting it.
17433.gif
but I would say the difference is negligible.

I cut it by hand with a tile saw blade in my hacksaw, (Useful tool, goes through hardened steel with no bother and very little heat.) and then just cleaned it up with a belt sander.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You are so bad!! Been resisting these for ages, now there is no hope... Its simple, buy one now!!!! SWMBO will not be impressed with you....

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
20g... I reckon that's nothing to worry about ...
disdain29.gif

It does change the look a bit though. Glad you like it.

Yeah, the weight is not a problem. I guess that maybe all the reprofiling has cost the axe 30-40g of steel in total. I can live with that. If I was really worried, the addition of a thick leather collar would probably add that back, but I think it's fine. I do like that curve and may have to do it to my other axe too. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Snap, Wayland.

Can I come on the next raid with you?

(drat photobucket not working tonight!)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh - I like this thread!
But there is no way I can afford a new sharp at the moment.
This is like a hungry man reading recipe books - stimulating, tormenting and very frustrating!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE