Modified Single Hooped Bivvy Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
This is my first attempt at posting images in a thread so I hope that it works!
Someone recently in the BCUK community made ref to hooped bivvies and also a way in which a mosi net might be supported over a standard bivvy bag so this may be of interest.
I bought this bag about eighteen months ago from Surplus and Outdoors (no commercial connection).
The original bag is ex Dutch military in Brit pattern dpm.
It was intended as a compact, lightweight, one person, low profile, quick to set up/take down, breathable, short term bivvy bag.
Used (correctly) in that format it just about ticks all the boxes. My only complaints with it and similar bags is that as they drape onto the body in heavy rain/snow you can suffer from conduction heat loss (especially if water pools on them) and the lack of a supported foot-box can be an issue if you don't like that constriction.
From the outset my intended use for the item was as a short term low profile observations shelter and so I modified it by way of:
Letting in of a triangular section piece of mosi net in the 'head' end;
Velcro secured triangular cover flap;
The addition of a full width overlapping visor (in matching dpm material) supported by a second set of hooped poles;
A length of slotted webbing strap provides the anchor for the second set of pole ends;
A short piece of pole inserted between the new and original hoops (interference fit!) forces the visor forward and keeps it in place;
A foot-box was created by adding webbing loops to the bag through which a third set of hooped poles are fed and anchored with pegs;
A ridge-line is run from the original hoop at the head end, attached to the foot-box hoop and peg anchored.
As a covert obs bivvy it has proven totally successful but in a pure bushcraft role (as I have long discovered with the actually roomier Corintihia) it still requires a basher/tarp set-up if you want to (comfortably) cook/do ablutions/admin etc.
Hope this is useful to someone.
Bivvi1.jpg Bivvi2.jpg Bivvi3.jpgBivvi4.jpg

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Someone recently in the BCUK community made ref to hooped bivvies and also a way in which a mosi net might be supported over a standard bivvy bag so this may be of interest.
I bought this bag about eighteen months ago from Surplus and Outdoors (no commercial connection).
The original bag is ex Dutch military in Brit pattern dpm.
It was intended as a compact, lightweight, one person, low profile, quick to set up/take down, breathable, short term bivvy bag.
Used (correctly) in that format it just about ticks all the boxes. My only complaints with it and similar bags is that as they drape onto the body in heavy rain/snow you can suffer from conduction heat loss (especially if water pools on them) and the lack of a supported foot-box can be an issue if you don't like that constriction.
From the outset my intended use for the item was as a short term low profile observations shelter and so I modified it by way of:
Letting in of a triangular section piece of mosi net in the 'head' end;
Velcro secured triangular cover flap;
The addition of a full width overlapping visor (in matching dpm material) supported by a second set of hooped poles;
A length of slotted webbing strap provides the anchor for the second set of pole ends;
A short piece of pole inserted between the new and original hoops (interference fit!) forces the visor forward and keeps it in place;
A foot-box was created by adding webbing loops to the bag through which a third set of hooped poles are fed and anchored with pegs;
A ridge-line is run from the original hoop at the head end, attached to the foot-box hoop and peg anchored.
As a covert obs bivvy it has proven totally successful but in a pure bushcraft role (as I have long discovered with the actually roomier Corintihia) it still requires a basher/tarp set-up if you want to (comfortably) cook/do ablutions/admin etc.

That seems to work well & looks great jaeger & seamelessly well made... Congrats on image posting! You lost me in the construction details as I'm not familiar with the single hooped bivvi before mod.... Good work

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments,
Just realised that I didn't post the image of the Corinthia for anyone who hasn't heard of/seen one. Breathable, compact, roomier than the DPM bivvy - Mega! expensive. (Well hidden from swmbo! lol).
The other image is of an early version of a DIY hooped basher using a Brit surplus poncho with three pole sleeves sewn in and three sets of fibre glass shock corded poles - a simple, versatile, compact, cheap, effective quickly achievable shelter when no/limited tree support available. it was a staple of my deployment kit for donkey's
Might give someone food for thought. And seeing as some of you are obviously into MYOG/modification - the last but one image is of a Brit surplus mosi cot that I am modifying as a green season option for use with the m84 tarp.
Corinthia.jpg P1060639.jpgMosicot.jpgm84(i).jpgm84(ii).jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE