Modern bushcraft !?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
a forum thread is kind of like a conversation, and it should be allowed to evolve as such, its no fun
and becomes static if you have somebody sat in the corner telling you must stay on topic.
its a shame when somebody digs in with no content just a criticism of how the conversation is going

I wasn't "telling anyone to stay on topic" I was just disapointed by the general hostility, competition & point scoring that seems to have pervaded this thread.
Since I'm considered as someone "who only seems able to stir," I reckon you're all better off without me:sulkoff:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I'm with the natural material brigade when it comes to being near fires in the woods,sparks can be thrown up by someone
other than yourself, from a larger than required communal fire and land on your person. I have only myself to blame for
This decision. I was demonstrating to a fellow bushcrafter,(while wearing a new expensive fleece, when the wind caught
The spark and blew it on to my fleece, I did not notice notice this, myself, and by the time my friend drew my attention
To this, the damage was done, (one new fleece ruined for dress wear.) This did not happen when going to the woods, but
Just at the back door of my house. Experience is the best teacher, and I certainly will be avoiding wearing anything good
In the way of man made fibres to the woods when likely to be near sparks far less fires. None of us intend to cut ourselves,
But from time to time many of us do. Even those of us who have handled knives for 50 years or more. After all an accident
Is an unforeseen happening, and that is just what burnt clothing is, and you do not need to lay down in the fire to get burnt. Drink and fires don't mix yet a few have fallen into camp fires before now. RANT OVER.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I wasn't "telling anyone to stay on topic" I was just disapointed by the general hostility, competition & point scoring that seems to have pervaded this thread.
Since I'm considered as someone "who only seems able to stir," I reckon you're all better off without me:sulkoff:
woh chill out, it wasn't directed at you, just my point was as a forum its an opertunity too discuss a question and
explore various avenues. to allow the conversation to flow freely so we don't get stuck in a rut.
That's a good thing because it almost instantly became a discussion on wots the best fabric, and quit
frankly that was boring my tits off :)
anyway fith batch of bannock turned out edible, think im going to just use a stick from now on
as im having trouble in a pan. (kind of on topic, old v new. old way better!) for me in this case.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hahaha! This thread is why I love and loathe this forum. Entertaining yet pointless.

*arguments, that is.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I really am at a loss to understand how any of the posters here found "hostility, competition & point scoring", it certainly wasn't apparent to me until they introduced it themselves...........It's a conversation, for Pete's sake, just that we're not all in the same place, and like all conversations it will take the course it takes and the options are to take part and contribute and maybe steer it constructively in another direction or to just observe from the side and if you don't like where it's going, don't take part.

To take offence at opinions you don't share is a redundant notion - and to snipe from the sidelines is just negative, it brings nothing to anyone.................How would any of us ever learn anything if we weren't exposed to (and receptive to) other peoples thoughts?............................CHILL OUT!.............................atb mac

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Back to 'define Bushcraft' again, I suppose ?
So, what bushcrafty stuff have 'you' done this week ?
I've foraged, played in the mud :D, wee bit of carving, prepped amadou and chaga, made some cordage and sorted out dyeplants. Watched the birds, the ants and the newts :) Had a nosey around and seen what's growing and where, from pignuts to three cornered leeks.......and I didn't think I'd done much this week. Surprising how all the little bits add up though.

cheers,
M

What bushie things have I done this week?
- dug my firepit and built the walls to hold the grill
- clear some space for my hammock set-up in my Woody Bit
- go for a couple of short bimbles
- make some bannock over my fire, on a willow stick (peeled!) from my willow tree
- collect, chop and store a load of prunings to pencil-sized pieces for my Honey
- sort out some old candles for fire-lighters
- make a few more vaseline balls and restock my tinder-box
- acquire some chaga (ta Toddy :))
- try to sort out the lines and tie-outs for my tarps
- sort kit into ultralight and base-camp piles
- discuss dyneema and other such with forum friends - very educational, ta mates
- discuss making ultrlight hammock with forum friends
- get a bit further with sewing my blanket smock
- get just a wee bit further with making my UQ out of an old down duvet
- seen what herbs are growing in our hedges
- thought about what other plants I can add to the garden for the bees and butterflies
- sown and planted out some more veg
- planted some willow whips
- dozed with my moggie by the firepit in the wonderful sunshine on Mon & Tue evenings, listening to birds, bees, wind, watching the sky and trees, chilling :)

Lovely stuff ... and the forum camp-fire is great too :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like making stuff :D I really like seeing other folks make stuff :cool: I find the synergy amongst craftworkers to be an incredible process, and the development of everyone's ability from such interaction is superb :)

Not keen on Shewee's though :rolleyes:.......Now there's a modern bushcraft feature to suit the OP. Does bushcraft defeminise women ? and does the male parental 'disapproval' of normal female biology as being 'inconvenient' cause gender confusion/distress to girl children as they grow up ?

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Recently I have been making some very "old school" stuff - flint and steel kits for sale and for teaching, some new Iron age sandles for summer wear plus putting a shaft on a spear... OK that is not strictly for my bushy stuff but it was fun!
Then I have been up in the woods foraging for saladings, watching birdlife - modern kit in the form of binos - and doing a bit of tracking with badgers and seeing what they are up to/eating etc.
Most of the gear I have been wearing and using is old school, Ventile, cotton, wool, leather, fur, hand forged carbon steel/wood/leather knife .. but my camera and binos are pretty modern! :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I really am at a loss to understand how any of the posters here found "hostility, competition & point scoring", it certainly wasn't apparent to me until they introduced it themselves.

:soapbox:
Sorry I didn't want to reply anymore as I've dragged this thread down far enough already but for the sake of entertainment;)
May I suggest you re-read the thread from the begining & I'm sure you'll see it & you'll also remark that I'm not the only one fed up with bickering.

.It's a conversation, for Pete's sake, just that we're not all in the same place, and like all conversations it will take the course it takes and the options are to take part and contribute

Squabbling ain't conversation nor is it sharing opinions, it's just Egos trying to get one over on each other. :argue:

and maybe steer it constructively in another direction

With hindsight, that is what I should have done but diplomacy is not my stong point.

To take offence at opinions you don't share is a redundant notion

No one, as far as I know, has taken 'offence at opinions' & I have no gripes with other peoples views & opinions but I am rather fed up with one upmanhip. It's rare that I intervene for such trivia & the fact that I felt the need to demonstrate my disapointment at the ambiance of this thread just goes to show what a dire & pathetic life I must be living right now,................pointless indeed. I probably wouldn't have bothered had there been a modicum of humour or even a smidgen of clever sarcasm but Nada...nilch...zero................all very serious & dour.

-
and to snipe from the sidelines is just negative,
Sidelines ? ................what do you have to do to be part of the game then ? :red:

EDIT; looks like the thread has found it's way so scap this.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I am currently a little obsessed with attaining kit that has as many multiple uses as possible.
A real mish mash of old and new, This is mostly down to me being lazy and hating to lug
piles of gear, idealy I want enough kit to be able to live comfortably for a week to 2 weeks
with everything packed in a 35ltr rucksack and belt kit, this might get a scoff from the
purist guys that are happy with the bear skin, flint and obligatory stags head hat lol. (joking please don't jump on me)
I want to cut that down further in the future and I think this will force me to learn and explore
new crafts and bush tricks. Learning through necessity. Learning through laziness (that's a new one)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Plus one on the synergy between craftworkers - that was the main reason among others for me joining the forum, I love it and have learned heaps of good stuff, even about things I've been doing for years...........
I don't think bushcraft defeminises women at all; I know a number of women who do all the things I do, many of them better than I do it and they're mostly as feminine as any other women friends.............perhaps this says something about the women I know?

As to the third point about gender distress/confusion to girl children growing up, I've never discerned it in any of my extended family; but it may well be that that's something that would be difficult if not impossible for a man to discern in a young girl................but I'm going to have to think all that through!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
blacktimberwolf: None of the stuff I wrote was aimed at anyone specific, and I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else is "on the sidelines" anything written by anyone has equal right to be posted and read - we're all in the game, otherwise there ain't no game...............there's no bickering or one-upmanship from me, I just want to chat with and learn from other people............atb mac

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
you have plenty of examples of girls being brought up in a boyish way and maturing into a a well rounded
femine women, off the top of my head that ozzy women Kimberley Davies, she was brought up in the out
back of OZ with 3 older brothers, she sheered sheep and caught snakes and hunted rabbits into her teens
and as an adult she is feminine grace personified. I don't see an issue, but like you have said maybe I
wouldn't because im a man?
ps I think we should stop talking about whats gone wrong with this conversation have a grin and have a natter :-D

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....If I was a stone age man, transplanted to our time however. I suspect he would deem me completely insane for doing that. He would be
in a house, on the sofa, beer in hand watching the latest Dr. Who episode, with the heat turned on full blast!

Or in my case, the air conditioner :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE