Mini Maglite LED AA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
MINI MAGLTIE LED AA

2s9q58z.jpg

A torch as you know is a very important piece of kit and there are a lot of different ones out there.

I received this Mini Maglite and decided to test it against a cheaper model to see if paying that bit extra is worth it.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

1. High-intensity light beam
2. 1/2 turn, twist focus, spot-to-flood
3. Patented Candle Mode
4. High-Strength aluminium alloy case
5. O-ring sealed for water resistance
6. Compact/lightweight construction
7. Polypropylene belt holster

PRODUCT SPECS:
Overall Length: 6.6 in. 167.8mm
Barrel Diameter: .709in. 18mm
Head Diameter: 1in. 25.4mm
Weight with battery: 4.15 oz
LED: 3 watt
Beam Type: Focusing and projecting

RRP: 17.99 price from Maglite site: 12.32

This model is precision machined with a high strength alloy case and both the inside and outside is anodized for improved corrosion resistance. With high grade rubber seals it is also water and shock resistant giving the torch durability whilst being strong and robust.

Both the optics and the power have been balanced to give improved performance leading to an increase in the life of the torch.

THE BENEFITS:

The LED bulb is far superior to an ordinary one and has a longer life.

This Maglite has a strong projected beam which you can focus simply by turning the head. This is very useful and quick if you need to change from a more flooded type light to a concentrated spot. I personally need to change the type of light when I’m out shooting the rats/pigeon at night and the quickness makes the job a lot easier.

The (Patent Pending) Intelligent Energy Source Management, balances the brightness of the light with power usage which is more efficient and in the long run saves you money on batteries.

2hyibld.jpg

The Candle mode is a quirky little feature which allows you to take the top of the torch and use it as a base, giving a hands free candle type light that is secure when on a flat surface. Very useful when there is a power cut.

I am not a photographer but I have tried to take the pictures as best as I can and although in looking at pictures you do not get the same sense as being there I did my best to show the comparisons between the two.

In these photographs I have tested the Maglite torch against a cheap one bought from the supermarket. Both have brand new batteries and all photos were taken at a distance of 20 feet. I took the flash off for all the night photos.

THE TORCHES:

jza494.jpg

On the top we have the cheaper torch purchased from the supermarket and below the MiniMaglite.
The cheaper torch requires 3AA batteries and has 4 LED bulbs in its head, where as the MiniMaglite only needs 2 AA batteries and has a single LED.
I picked a night were there was low cloud cover. As I live in the countryside there is no light interference from anything either. As a result the pictures were taken in complete dark conditions.

First up is the front gate: I stood with both torches at the same spot 20 ft away.

2q00xvp.jpg
(The cheaper model torch)
2ih10qo.jpg
(and the Maglite)

The next pictures are of the archery target face, again all pics taken from 20 ft

seq4w8.jpg
( the cheaper torch)
2vjbjmb.jpg
( the Maglite)
332s8q9.jpg
(This is the Maglite again but with the spot concentrated)

The next picture were taken at 20 ft but had a full zoom.

4lspq0.jpg
(the cheaper torch)
29lfbdu.jpg
( the MiniMaglite)

The pattern was the same with everything I compared them against. The Mini Maglite performed a lot better than the cheaper torch, giving a stronger, further and more widespread area of light.

Being lightweight slim and giving an excellent light, with the added advantage of a longer lasting life this torch in my opinion is well worth its cost. Although it comes with a holster ( if you buy the blister pack) the only thing it lacks is a lanyard which is something I would personally prefer. Due to its better performance and reasonable price I would pick the MiniMaglite over its cheaper counterparts.

CBJ

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice thread cheers. I normally use a good head torch when camping out, but I find mini mags are usefull sometimes for keeping in a pocket, when walking round the village for showing yourself to cars ect on the lanes.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Good thread.

I have a maglite with the led conversion and IQ switch in the base, so giving different brightness levels. The switch also has a tiny red led which flashes which is great at finding it in the dark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE