Midlands Winter '08 Meet.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'm no expert ... but I've a set-up suitable for tackling a convex blade (which iirc the F1 is ... ) so I'll lob that into my kit - also suitable for axes; two birds with one stone :D .
I wouldn't mind seeing some axe sharpening in action... a small hatchet is on my xmas list, but would like to be confident I can maintain it before I take the plunge.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I wouldn't mind seeing some axe sharpening in action... a small hatchet is on my xmas list, but would like to be confident I can maintain it before I take the plunge.

By maintain do you mean keeping the edge keen or dink removal (re-profiling is an extreme veresion of dink removal) ?
I've at least one axe that I bung in for practice so that isn't a problem.
If you do want to do some repair practice you'll be safer if you bring (and wear) a pair of leather work gloves to protect your hands.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
A gentle reminder on the last meet T1tch sharpened his axe to the point it was shaving hair off his arm the next day he was chopping an old log when the axe hit a knot and sliced right through a good quality climbing boot right into his foot leaving a gash needing 4 or 5 stitches

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A gentle reminder on the last meet T1tch sharpened his axe to the point it was shaving hair off his arm the next day he was chopping an old log when the axe hit a knot and sliced right through a good quality climbing boot right into his foot leaving a gash needing 4 or 5 stitches

A timely reminder.

On the subject of T1tch's foot .... Remind me, when we're sitting round the fire, to tell you what halted the ribbing I took after the incident :eek: :eek: :( (Too serious to use a 'fun' smilie - even though I'm tempted!).

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Just maintaining an edge on an axe would be great - reprofiling is probably a job best done in a shed where it's warm and well lit, rather than a chilly campsite in December!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have a few odds and sod that I'll bring along to the meet if anyone can use them
A headtorch
a stainless multi tool
couple of mess tins alu.
there may be other bits when i've finished sorting out
desert cammo jacket

please don't take it just for the sake of it if you need them have them by all means

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I've one that you can have (for free). I don't use use it and it's just taking up space. You'll need to provide pot supports though - or search out Andy2112 (see post 200)

Re your hobo stove mate, sorry - I missed that bit, very good of you :) . I'll bring my little petrol stove but if I can easily make a small fire and hide the "evidence" when I'm done, all the better. By all means bring it along, I may well be tempted to give it a go or of course someone else may need it. Thankyou very much :)

In the process of making a new knife for myself so hopefuly I'll get chance to show it off :rolleyes:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Re your hobo stove mate, sorry - I missed that bit, very good of you :) . I'll bring my little petrol stove but if I can easily make a small fire and hide the "evidence" when I'm done, all the better. By all means bring it along, I may well be tempted to give it a go or of course someone else may need it. Thankyou very much :)

In the process of making a new knife for myself so hopefuly I'll get chance to show it off :rolleyes:

I'm bringing along some rods that fit in the hobo stove that can be used as pot supports, as i said in a previous post, their there for anybody who wants a couple, just come and find me.:D

I think it's great that people bring stuff to these meets, not only food and drink but knowledge and friendship as well. NR, you will not be dissapointed in coming.:cool:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Decorum
I have a wood burning (10"square) stove I should like to tryout. It has a base to collect ash. Will it be possible to use this at my hammock site, ie away from the main fire area where I presume the group cooking will be taking place?
I can bring fuel with me to save de-nuding the site if its allowed.
Alan

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Decorum
I have a wood burning (10"square) stove I should like to tryout. It has a base to collect ash. Will it be possible to use this at my hammock site, ie away from the main fire area where I presume the group cooking will be taking place?
I can bring fuel with me to save de-nuding the site if its allowed.
Alan

Hi Alan,

Bringing and using the stove won't be a problem - the only thing the site is concerned about is fire scars and you've got that sorted :D. Wood shouldn't be a problem ... but it might be a good idea to bring a small supply so that you have a bone dry supply to start with; which is something I tend to do if there has been (or is likely to be) inclemant weather.

EDIT: Hmm. Getting close to the 1,000 post mark; I think I'll look out some stuff for a bit of a give away at the Meet (it only seems fair; the bulk of my posting has been done on Meet threads)

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
If its not to late. Can I go on the list. Hammocking, Count me in for roast pig too pls. Happy to give a lift for any westcountry members looking for a lift.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi shocks,

If you'd asked in 11 days it wouldn't have been too late :D . I've added you to the Meet & Pig lists.

Attending the meet:

A lil yella fella (aka woodstock) - hammock
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss tents/tarp
Bernie Garland
Bodge + kids + hammock and orange tent thing
decorum - Somewhere under the 'Eden Project'
Firecrest - rubbish tent.
Humpback - Hammock
Mesquite - ground dwelling + 1
mittenz +1 - Tentipi
novembeRain - hammock
PeterH + Chris - Hammocks / Tarp
PJMcBear - Tundra
Rigger_john - Tent (maybe a tarp)
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jnr - Possibles
shocks - Hammock
Son Of Fire- Tent
spamel - mini mega tarp!
T1tch - hammock
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein - tent
Wayland
xylaria + tribe - possibles - tent with tarps

Roast pig list:*

A lil yella fella
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss
Bernie Garland
Bodge
decorum
Firecrest
Mesquite + son
PJMcBear
Rigger_John
shocks
Spamel
T1tch
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein
Wayland
PeterH + Chris

*Note: price will be dependant on numbers partaking.

Mesquite dooking chilli
:*

Addo
Bodge
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
Wallenstein
Peter + Chris (Probably)

Pigeon list
:

Andy2112
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
woodstock

Please note:

Not sticking your name on any of the food lists doesn't mean that you can't change your mind at the Meet. However I would ask that, if you do change your mind, you inform me prior to taking monies. Money collected for the food will reimburse the provider(s) of the ingedients.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
is there room for a Fat Foureyed Forty Four year old Furry Faced Fecker
pig pigeon an chille
i wont bring no food

You won't need to eat again until well into the new year after that lot :D

Attending the meet:

A lil yella fella (aka woodstock) - hammock
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss tents/tarp
Barney
Bernie Garland
Bodge + kids + hammock and orange tent thing
decorum - Somewhere under the 'Eden Project'
Firecrest - rubbish tent.
Humpback - Hammock
Mesquite - ground dwelling + 1
mittenz +1 - Tentipi
novembeRain - hammock
PeterH + Chris - Hammocks / Tarp
PJMcBear - Tundra
Rigger_john - Tent (maybe a tarp)
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jnr - Possibles
shocks - Hammock
Son Of Fire- Tent
spamel - mini mega tarp!
T1tch - hammock
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein - tent
Wayland
xylaria + tribe - possibles - tent with tarps

Roast pig list:*

A lil yella fella
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss
Barney
Bernie Garland
Bodge
decorum
Firecrest
Mesquite + son
PJMcBear
Rigger_John
shocks
Spamel
T1tch
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein
Wayland
PeterH + Chris

Mesquite dooking chilli:*

Addo
Barney
Bodge
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
Wallenstein
Peter + Chris (Probably)

Pigeon list:

Andy2112
Barney
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
woodstock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE