Midlands Winter '08 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rigger_john

Sep 23, 2008
leicester
I've just discovered I have to work on the Sunday morning, I'll still come for Friday night but I think I will have to leave on Saturday. That sucks, but at least i will get to meet spend some time out.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I'm going to do my best to be there fella, probably both nights, hammock and tarp.

And best of all - Monday 15th is my birthday :D

How's it all work? I take it you find somewhere to make home wherever you can, do most people have their own little fires to cook on etc? And what goes on during the day?

Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget but I'll put as much into the weekend as I can and I'm looking foreward to meeting some of you :)

Will there be any shooting / archery going on? Shooting's my "thing" I shot target rifle for GB juniors for a couple of years, including four international matches so could help out with that. As for archery, I haven't since I was about 12 but I've got a longbow (no arrows though) that would suit someone of that age if that would help with anything?

I'm going to do my best to be there fella, probably both nights, hammock and tarp.

And best of all - Monday 15th is my birthday :D

How's it all work? I take it you find somewhere to make home wherever you can, do most people have their own little fires to cook on etc? And what goes on during the day?

Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget but I'll put as much into the weekend as I can and I'm looking foreward to meeting some of you :)

Will there be any shooting / archery going on? Shooting's my "thing" I shot target rifle for GB juniors for a couple of years, including four international matches so could help out with that. As for archery, I haven't since I was about 12 but I've got a longbow (no arrows though) that would suit someone of that age if that would help with anything?

hi NR
it's an informal meet mate so just set yourself up somewhere and do what you want really. there will be various communal meals on the go if you wish to partake. Just chip in if you want some to help with the costs.
Decide when you get there or when you want and chill out. you can have ground fires at your own camp or just use the communal fire for heat and cooking. The site we use is an excellent area with a mix of open space and mature woods so you have many choices.

HTH

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
hi NR
it's an informal meet mate so just set yourself up somewhere and do what you want really. there will be various communal meals on the go if you wish to partake. Just chip in if you want some to help with the costs.
Decide when you get there or when you want and chill out. you can have ground fires at your own camp or just use the communal fire for heat and cooking. The site we use is an excellent area with a mix of open space and mature woods so you have many choices.

HTH

Thanks Bodge, that's about all I needed to know really, Sounds good to me.

Pencil me in, I'll do everything I can to be there but I'm an agency lorry driver which, frankly means I don't know if I'm working one day to the next, has it's perks but also means I can't promise anything - I don't usually get called out on weekends though so fingers crossed :rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... How's it all work?...

Strangely, but it does :D .

... I take it you find somewhere to make home wherever you can ...

The pitch we use is a fair old size; you'll have no problem finding your own little space ... just remember to grab your torch before it gets dark! (Many others have been caught out).

... do most people have their own little fires to cook on etc?

Minimal impact is the course to follow - stoves (whether it be gas, liquid, solid fuel, wood etc) are preferable. Small ground fires are (at a pinch) ok providing they're not left unattended and absolutely no trace is left behind.

... And what goes on during the day? ...

Unless someone asks before hand 'things' happen on spec over the weekend; usually due to an informal conversation that spirals into an activity.

... Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget but I'll put as much into the weekend as I can ...

No worries, you won't be alone on that count.
Just so you know - There will be a raffle held Saturday morning (ish), tickets are £1 (1 GBP) each and available to over 18's only.

... Will there be any shooting / archery going on? ...

Not after the debacle that happened on the previous occasion I tried to prise the site's wallet open :lmao: (I can laugh about it now! :eek: ) - nothing to do with anyone attending the Meet, purely a site problem :banghead: >
Best start thinking about a hobo stove then.

I've one that you can have (for free). I don't use use it and it's just taking up space. You'll need to provide pot supports though - or search out Andy2112 (see post 200)

Attending the meet:

A lil yella fella (aka woodstock) - hammock
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss tents/tarp
Bernie Garland
Bodge + kids + hammock and orange tent thing
decorum - Somewhere under the 'Eden Project'
Firecrest - rubbish tent.
Humpback - Hammock
Mesquite - ground dwelling + 1
mittenz +1 - Tentipi
novembeRain - hammock
PeterH + Chris - Hammock
PJMcBear - Tundra
Rigger_john - Tent (maybe a tarp)
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jnr - Possibles
Son Of Fire- Tent
spamel - mini mega tarp!
T1tch - hammock
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein - tent
Wayland
xylaria + tribe - possibles - tent with tarps

Roast pig list:*

A lil yella fella
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss
Bernie Garland
Bodge
decorum
Firecrest
Mesquite + son
PJMcBear
Rigger_John
Spamel
T1tch
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein
Wayland

*Note: price will be dependant on numbers partaking.

Mesquite dooking chilli:*

Addo
Bodge
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
Wallenstein

Pigeon list:

Andy2112
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
woodstock

Please note:

Not sticking your name on any of the food lists doesn't mean that you can't change your mind at the Meet.
However I would ask that, if you do change your mind, you inform me prior to taking monies.
Money collected for the food will reimburse the provider(s) of the ingedients.

Thanks Bodge, that's about all I needed to know really, Sounds good to me.

Pencil me in, I'll do everything I can to be there but I'm an agency lorry driver which, frankly means I don't know if I'm working one day to the next, has it's perks :rolleyes:

Ditto NR,:) we can set up a trucker meet area and sit around the fire and talk about eaton twin splits and merc eps :lmao: .......or not:rolleyes:

You will enjoy it if you can make it.:D

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Ditto NR,:) we can set up a trucker meet area and sit around the fire and talk about eaton twin splits and merc eps :lmao: .......or not:rolleyes:

You will enjoy it if you can make it.:D

Lol, I've heard about 'em mate but they're a bit before my time :lmao: I'm sure we'll end up falling back on the good old putting the world to rights though about nightmares with the forkies, and lady drivers :eek: Best bring me tin hat after that one tho :lmao:

I passed my test in 91 with and eaton twin split wagon.then had a different line of work from 1994 -2007. then got back into it. Earlier this year I went to a small local haulage company for a week and their newest unit was about 2000. I got the 1990 erf with eaton box and about 2000000 km:( not been back since:D too much like hard work, was knacked by the time i got to first drop:)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, maybe something best discussed another time but I've only been passed for a year, stil enjoying it, well - most of the time, No crash boxes any more but I've had some real sheds to drive. I think some firms have a "agency driver" truck lol.

Anyway, hopefuly see you all there.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The pitch we use is a fair old size; you'll have no problem finding your own little space ... just remember to grab your torch before it gets dark! (Many others have been caught out).

I heard that :lmao:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

I heard that :lmao:

Torch is a must,
it's a length of string back to my pitch i need, i don't think i have ever been the same way back twice.:yikes: Be even worse as i think i will be solo this meet.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Just got confirmation of Scouting commitments and it looks like we are definitely OK for the meet now so added ourselves to the "catering " sub-lists.

Looking for something to contribute not sure how if all the arrow shaft went last time (as we left quite early) but if there is an appetite for some more I can have an ask around, they are likely to be simlar diameter as kids dont shoot drainpipes! [Mesquite did you sort the quiver for your son, if not PM me]

If anyone would like to offer a sharpening tutorial I would appreciate that as I purchased a used F1 which had some blade nicks that I removed but not too well so expert advice would be appreciated at some stage over the weekend.

Attending the meet:

A lil yella fella (aka woodstock) - hammock
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss tents/tarp
Bernie Garland
Bodge + kids + hammock and orange tent thing
decorum - Somewhere under the 'Eden Project'
Firecrest - rubbish tent.
Humpback - Hammock
Mesquite - ground dwelling + 1
mittenz +1 - Tentipi
novembeRain - hammock
PeterH + Chris - Hammocks / Tarp
PJMcBear - Tundra
Rigger_john - Tent (maybe a tarp)
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jnr - Possibles
Son Of Fire- Tent
spamel - mini mega tarp!
T1tch - hammock
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein - tent
Wayland
xylaria + tribe - possibles - tent with tarps

Roast pig list:*

A lil yella fella
Addo
Andy2112 + 1 poss
Bernie Garland
Bodge
decorum
Firecrest
Mesquite + son
PJMcBear
Rigger_John
Spamel
T1tch
Thunderbeard
Wallenstein
Wayland
PeterH + Chris

Mesquite dooking chilli:*

Addo
Bodge
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
Wallenstein
Peter + Chris (Probably)

Pigeon list:

Andy2112
decorum
Mesquite
Son Of Fire
woodstock

Please note:

Not sticking your name on any of the food lists doesn't mean that you can't change your mind at the Meet. However I would ask that, if you do change your mind, you inform me prior to taking monies. Money collected for the food will reimburse the provider(s) of the ingedients.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Looking for something to contribute not sure how if all the arrow shaft went last time (as we left quite early) but if there is an appetite for some more I can have an ask around, they are likely to be simlar diameter as kids dont shoot drainpipes! [Mesquite did you sort the quiver for your son, if not PM me]
I used the arrow shafts as a blow-poker at a scout event at Rough Close a few weeks ago... everyone was dead impressed and wondered why they'd not already thought of it!

:You_Rock_

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
If anyone would like to offer a sharpening tutorial I would appreciate that as I purchased a used F1 which had some blade nicks that I removed but not too well so expert advice would be appreciated at some stage over the weekend.

Quote:

Im sure there will be at least one or two people going that will oblige

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Looking for something to contribute not sure how if all the arrow shaft went last time (as we left quite early) but if there is an appetite for some more ...

Don't worry about trying to contribute, just come along and enjoy; If nothing else there's the roast to help watch over. It tends to be the tangents that conversations take that lead to the mini-workshops.

... If anyone would like to offer a sharpening tutorial I would appreciate that as I purchased a used F1 which had some blade nicks that I removed but not too well so expert advice would be appreciated at some stage over the weekend.

I'm no expert ... but I've a set-up suitable for tackling a convex blade (which iirc the F1 is ... ) so I'll lob that into my kit - also suitable for axes; two birds with one stone :D .

I used the arrow shafts as a blow-poker at a scout event at Rough Close a few weeks ago...

Same here. The local district runs a Leaders Skill Weekend ... the occasional leader forgot take their lips away from the poker between blows :lmao: ... then tried to blame the technology :welcome:.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Oh I don't know, im sure we could find something for you

Bring me a cow, Id like a hide rug ;)

Hmm...thats a point though, is a 2 day meet too short to learn to stretch and tan something? I expect even something small would take some planning:22:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE