Midlands Meet - May 2008 (lots of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Spent a great night yesterday at the Midlands Meet.

First time I've been along to meet other posters on the BCUK forum, but I was made to feel very welcome from the start.

I was only able to stay the one night due to family commitments - a three-week old baby at home means I can only escape for a bit - but was nice to get out of the house and into the woods (and away from changing nappies!).

Everyone was having a grand time when I left this morning with 5-6 new arrivals just getting pitched.

Here are a few pics to give you a flavour of what we've been up to!

**edit**

The pics might take a while to download - if you prefer to view them in Photobucket, you can see them here (although no captions on them yet!).
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm264/wallenstein2008/

This is where we were based - mixed woodland just outside Coventry with plenty of standing / fallen wood for the fire. The BCUK logo is roughly where we were pitched:
23.jpg

Here's my tent in a lovely woodland glade:
01.jpg

The view out of the tent this morning:
02.jpg

My tent on the right... Mesquite's tarp and bivvy on the left.
03.jpg

GWHTBushcraft and David's hammocks:
04.jpg

Wayland and Scrumpy get the log pile stocked:
08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Scrumpy decides it's time for sausages:
07.jpg

Time for some tea... thought I'd try one of the "Look What We Found" pouches from Sainsbury's. I went for the Gloucester Old Spot Meatballs with a packet of rice to add bulk - excellent flavour and only needed simmering for 3-4 mins before eating.
11.jpg

The trusty Trangia gets things bubbling nicely - 4 mins later dinner was served:
12.jpg

Meanwhile, Mesquite fires up his hobo stove, while Wayland munches on a sausage wrap:
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

After a good night's sleep it was time for some breakfast round the campfire:
16.jpg

17.jpg

I opted for a foil-packed bacon 'n' potatoes breakfast from Sainsbury's - v. nice start to the day:
18.jpg

Wayland cooked up some pancakes, with a little help from Cobweb, and Firecrest went for bacon baps:
19.jpg

20.jpg

After breakfast there was time for a spot of spoon-carving using the plentiful supplies of wood around the site. Mesquite and T1tch get stuck in, closely watched by Woodstock:
21.jpg

22.jpg

Alas it was then time for me to head home.

Overall a really excellent evening with good food, great conversation and a roaring campfire... perfect :)

Can't wait for the next Meet - I'd encourage any other newbies on the Forum to get themselves along to a Meet, you'll be made very welcome and it's a great chance to see all the various ways of shelter / cooking / gear that we discuss on the boards.

Thanks for looking.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi had a great time meeting you all. some of you for the first time I personally had a great time can't wait to the moot and the next MM thanks decorum for putting it together

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Overall a really excellent evening with good food, great conversation and a roaring campfire... perfect :)

Can't wait for the next Meet - I'd encourage any other newbies on the Forum to get themselves along to a Meet, you'll be made very welcome and it's a great chance to see all the various ways of shelter / cooking / gear that we discuss on the boards.

Thanks for looking.

Wallenstein has really summed it up for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and what made it extra special was the location of the meet. It was a perfect bushcrafters location with lots of little pitches so you never felt encroached upon by your fellow bushcrafters.

Another highlight was the superb stew created by Wayland on the second night, probably one of the best I've ever had :)

All in all, a 10 out of 10 weekend for me and one I can't wait to repeat. Many thanks Decorum for organising it and everyone who went it was great meeting you and I look forward to renewing friendships at future meets.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes that stew was wonderful, I wish Id thought to bring tupperware to take a little home for my family it was that nice!
Had a great weekend, everybody was really cool and it was great to see such young kids getting stuck in.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes that stew was wonderful, I wish Id thought to bring tupperware to take a little home for my family it was that nice!
Had a great weekend, everybody was really cool and it was great to see such young kids getting stuck in.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It has been a pleasure to meet all those who attended the Meet - some for the first time, others on a return journey. It's always good to know that you've enjoyed yourselves and consider it worth coming back. Thankyou for the kind comments - it is those who attend the Meet who make it such a memorable experience - I do very little in the way of organising and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for bringing your knowledge, experience and encouragement and giving it freely - and some might not realise that even the simplest of question can make the responder question and change their method(s).

First time I've been along to meet other posters on the BCUK forum, but I was made to feel very welcome from the start.

Going to that first Meet can seem like a big step - until you take it. After you've taken it it feels like a natural step in the journey.

I was only able to stay the one night due to family commitments

It's a pleasure to have people there whether they can come for the duration, a night, a day or just a couple of hours.

I'd encourage any other newbies on the Forum to get themselves along to a Meet, you'll be made very welcome and it's a great chance to see all the various ways of shelter / cooking / gear that we discuss on the boards.

Going to a Meet is a very good way of trying out ideas, seeing some of the kit that some rave about, getting hints, tips and pointers (learning should be a life long experience). It's also good to meet others who are considered equally weird :cool:

It was a perfect bushcrafters location with lots of little pitches so you never felt encroached upon by your fellow bushcrafters.

Glad you liked it - I went for a lightly different tack this time.

Another highlight was the superb stew created by Wayland on the second night, probably one of the best I've ever had :)

It was a bit good, wasn't it :D .

My apologies to those I didn't amnage to see before they had to go.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I think the most memorable bit for me was the huge, beaming grin a young lady got on her face, as her tinder burst into flame. Pure class, she looked so chuffed. Brilliant!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think the most memorable bit for me was the huge, beaming grin a young lady got on her face, as her tinder burst into flame. Pure class, she looked so chuffed. Brilliant!

Another thing to all of us to remember, was PJ sat quietly at the fire then all of a sudden he'd show off yet another little bird or santas helper that he'd been carving.

He certainly gave the carving jack a good run for it's money and his demonstrations has put it onto my wish list for future equipment.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I had a grate time, it was my first BCUK meet as well but everyone was so friendly it was brilliant. I wish I could have been there for the first day as well.

Big thanks to decorum for organizing it and everyone ells for what they added. I cant wait for a another chance to meet up with fellow bushcrafters.

I specially enjoyed the Pignut Hunt, grate work Scrumpy for finding them. And of course huge thanks to all those who contributed to the meal on Saturday it was smashing.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
You don't actually need a carving jack, it's just another shinny isn't it. Admit it!:lmao:

The last carving I did was just with a standard SAK which I've reground to a flat grind. You don't have to have special tools.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You don't actually need a carving jack, it's just another shinny isn't it. Admit it!:lmao:

The last carving I did was just with a standard SAK which I've reground to a flat grind. You don't have to have special tools.

Hush PJ!!!! That's not the kind of help I need when I go about convincing the little wifey that it would be nice for me to have a new piece of equipment ;)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'll try and make one of these Midlands meets for sure,looks and sounds like you all had a grand time of it.:)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire

BcUK&

_DSC5241.jpg
_DSC5289.jpg

^^ The Saturday Feast! ^^

_DSC5265.jpg

_DSC5278.jpg

_DSC5299.jpg

_DSC5355.jpg

_DSC5360.jpg

^^The Widgets learn to make fire! ^^

_DSC5252.jpg

_DSC5255.jpg

^^ Archery! ^^

_DSC5361.jpg
_DSC5298.jpg

^^ Bear's Carvings ^^

_DSC5312.jpg

^^ WhichDoctor striking Sparks ^^

_DSC5302.jpg

^^ Making Charcloth ^^

_DSC5343.jpg

_DSC5344.jpg

^^ The Evil Axe Eating Log O' Doom ^^

_DSC5262.jpg

^^ The Dragon Tree ^^

I'm working on the slideshow and I'll post it up as soon as it's done.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Add your Name if you want to...
_DSC5296.jpg

Left to Right:

Back Row: X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X.

Middle Row: Bramble, X, X, X, X, Cobweb

Front Row: Victoria, Elizabeth, X, X

(hope that makes sense!)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Add your Name if you want to...

(hope that makes sense!)

I've done a labeled pic and named most of the people but for the life of me I can't remember the names of the 2 guys either side of Firecrest and Bodgers 2 girls. Sorry about that guys but there was so many there and so much going on. If you tell me which you are I'll finish labelling people and post it on here for all to see.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Left to Right:

Back Row: X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X.

Middle Row: Bramble, , X, X, Firecrest, Cobweb

Front Row: Victoria, Elizabeth, X, X

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I've done a labeled pic and named most of the people but for the life of me I can't remember the names of the 2 guys either side of Firecrest and Bodgers 2 girls. Sorry about that guys but there was so many there and so much going on. If you tell me which you are I'll finish labelling people and post it on here for all to see.

Im the one between cobweb and firecrest (Woodstock) and I don't mind having my name added.the pics look great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE