Midges! They're here! Ruuuuunnn!!!! Aaarrgghhh!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Out the other day in the woods near Balmaha, Loch Lomond. My first midges of the year came for a feed. Curses!

Anyone else had the joy of their company yet?

Apologies for thread title .... heh heh! :rolleyes:

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Last night in West Yorkshire. Got a fire going and got covered in the smoke - they didn't seem to like it and went elsewhere:)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i was just about to ask whats good for getting rid of them, or keeping them off you, im thinking lotions and potions though, for when your walking etc etc...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They've been out here for weeks :sigh: and the clegs have appeared too.

I know British Red keeps on about the urbs and suburbs = hell, but y'know, the countryside is an insect ridden place that a lot of folks were glad to see the back of.
I'm just very glad we have access to good antihistamines :eek:

Smoke's a traditional defence agin the biting blighters, so is mugwort, bog myrtle, melissa, etc., basically anything that disguises/overcomes the human body's exhaled breath and sweat smells.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
i was just about to ask whats good for getting rid of them, or keeping them off you, im thinking lotions and potions though, for when your walking etc etc...

Have a quick look here. There are a couple of others out there too. Mr Fenna reviewed Bug Geroff ( sp?) and seemed to like it.

Nag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know British Red keeps on about the urbs and suburbs = hell, but y'know, the countryside is an insect ridden place that a lot of folks were glad to see the back of.
I'm just very glad we have access to good antihistamines :eek:
cheers,
Toddy

No nasty bitey flying things here Mary been sat outside today trying to understand why there is a big yellow thing in the sky :). We looked at a place near Brora once and then counted the midge bites after the second viewing.

"Stuff that" we thought.

You'd think the fens would be a midgy place - but they aren't

- do we have a smug smiley?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That strange yellow ball thing's well and truly hiding from us again BR :sigh:
On the other hand any cleg or midge that hatched today is well and truly drowned :D
I've heard folks wonder why most Scots live in the relatively midge free central belt .........we know fine why.
The East coast, the heartland of the old kingdoms, is relatively midgie free :), but yeah, I mind Brora being bad too. After three days I was glad I was finished and heading home. Nice bit of the world though.

Nordic Summer is supposed to work agin the biting things, but I think it stinks like an ashtray :yuck: surely we can concoct a recipe that doesn't smell so bad, or cling to one, worse than flyspray ?

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure we could...most of the citrus based oils...some teatree...lavender works.....bog myrtle....

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Last week sitting in a tree stand. Wasn't too bad though and certainly didn't warrant the repel100 with us. I did wake up with a big one to the hand and about 3 to my backside though. The wasps buzzing around during the early evening were more of an annoyance to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just none of that acrid citronella stuff......I got some bog myrtle essential oil, made in Scotland, not the stuff from the Eastern Bloc countries, and it's totally different. It's sweeter scented, not musky. Smells the same as the stuff from the North of England, maybe it's a British sub-type? :dunno: Nice though. If we could somehow bring in those base notes from Birch tar without the ashtray effect, more like tarry twine smell. That might work :)

I have a Beatons jacket :D....yeah, you're right, we need a smug smilie :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE