Midges! They're here! Ruuuuunnn!!!! Aaarrgghhh!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Smoking a pipe works well, but I'm guessing it's not Mary's preferred solution.

Funny you should say that :D
Well, sort of. I've never smoked but my Dad smoked a pipe and I like the smell of that tobacco. He swore it kept the midgies off too. I really, really, don't like cigarette tobacco smell though :yuck: You know that cigarette tobacco manufacturers are the biggest consumers of high terpene level essential oils ? 599 accepted adulterants of cigarette tobacco. Not much 'just leaves' left in that stuff. Mangled and processed like mechanically recovered meat.
I know any smoke in quantity isn't good for the lungs, etc., but it's no wonder that stuff leaves smokers with lungs like black fungus :sigh:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2040350/

Each to their own though.

Sorry, gone a bit OT :eek:

cheers,
M

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I'll have a pipe while setting up camp in the evening, and getting the fire going. If it's midge in the morning it's a midge net on the head and liner gloves. I also put a sprig of bog myrtle in the tent. Avon-so-Soft definitely works, but in my experience the effect wears off after half an hour or so. If I'm on the move I'll try and outrun them, the little blighters are poor flyers with a maximum speed of only about two miles per hour.

Never ever take a train to Fort William they ambush you at the station.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Avon Skin-so-soft is much more pleasant on the skin and nose than DEET but, as mentioned above, you have to reapply fairly often and it doesn't seem to work for sone insects. Having served all over the world, from jungle to desert, strong DEET has been the only 100% reliable insect repellent I've used. Shame it melts your watch...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE