Midge Headnet Faff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have been a nob so you don't have to be.

Took mosquito headnet to Skye last week. Put it on. Took dog out. Watched with alarm as midges climbed through holes in headnet and ate my face.

Top tip: mosquito headnets may have a large weave which is no use whatsoever against v small midges. Make sure you get a midge net (or midge jacket) for Scotland, not a mosquito net.

£5.50 later and a proper midge headnet with tight weave (like midge jacket). Happy camper.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
can you see through it ?

Spot the midgie net...

midgienet.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Beatons midge jackets rule. It's what I should have had it on but I left it in my room as I thought it wasn't worth putting on just for a couple of minutes. Fail!

The jackets are brilliant but sometimes you just want to stick a headset on briefly.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Are the WB Blackbird hammocks midge proof? I was considering getting one at some point

Ukhammocks have an alternative that is midge proof

help !:mosquitos:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are the WB Blackbird hammocks midge proof? I was considering getting one at some point

Ukhammocks have an alternative that is midge proof

help !:mosquitos:

I sent some midge net over to Brandon to use in my last BB. The stuff he used to use definitely wasn't midge proof, I laid in horror watching the little b'stards drag themselves through the netting once.

It's nano-see-um you want rather than no-see-um, I got my midge net from the folks in blimo's link

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
According to the website, Hennessy use 30D no-see-um mesh. Is that too big for midges? If so, will just have to bathe in feet and wear headnet or bug-jacket.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The info I've seen on nano-see-um seems to say that it is the same holes/inch but lighter in weight. Is that the case or are the hole sizes different too? Everything I've read on no-see-um seems to suggest it's designed for midge-sized insects.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I recently got a mosquito net direct from pyramid. I think its a leftover from one the MK group buys. I just rang them and asked if they had any. Am planning on using it in Scotland soon, but Im not sure whether it will be midge proof? :confused:

Heres a photo with a pound coin under the mesh for scale:

P6291837.jpg

Holes look pretty big?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE