Question Re Midge netting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 22, 2015
London
Hi all,

So I researched midge netting a bit and turned up the following info: for mozzies you require a net between 150-400 holes per sq inch and midges your need 400-1000 holes per sq inch for your netting

I ended up getting a http://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/Highlander-Trekker-Mosquito-Net-12561.html#SID=485 to protect myself zee midges, and its a 400 hole per sq inch net.

Apon receiving it I compared it against my midge head net and got a little concerned. The head net must be closer to 1000 h/sq inch.

Has anyone used one of these nets, and do they work and the evil midges?

Cheers
Tweak

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I use an old voile door curtain as a net on my hammock, it can't be much more than 400 and I've never been bitten through it. That's not to say it's impossible of course. But in my experience it's worked ok. Suppose it would stop the vast majority

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Stateof the art IMHO.

Check out the pic.
1000s of meshes per sq. in.
attachment.php
if you can be bothered to count them.

Attachments

• mesh1.jpg
    mesh1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 47
Jun 22, 2015
London
Thanks for the responses. I feel more confident now, but I'll test it next weekend and see :)

Funny tho, I grew up in Africa and figured there is nothing worse than mosquito's... they come big and bad there (and have disease that can kill) but then i met your wonderful midge.... f-me what an annoying bstard.

Tweak

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The thing about the midge is she likes company when she feeds, one of them bites and she calls her friends to dinner and we the unlucky victim are the smorgasbord for every female within range, one of natures finest examples that the female of the species is far deadlier than the male

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
If the mesh isn't fine enough, I use spray-on repellant on it. They don't like to "climb through" after that. If they can fly through without landing on it, you're in trouble!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE