Xylaria & Woodstocks Stupidly Simple Pine Tar Soap.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

As a morale booster whilst in hospital Xylaria & Woodstock sent me a sample of their Pine Tar Soap as I'd mentioned how the soaps in hospital were quite chemicaly and that I was missing the smells of the outdoors; I mentioned in a post how the scent of their Stupidly Simple Midge Repelant was also a bit like a rather manly outdoor aftershave with its smokey aroma.
When I got home there was a fat envelope through the door, nestled amongst the will sapping bills.
Inside was a waxed paper wrapped cake of what looked like very rich dark chocolate soap roughly six inches by four by one. The pine smoke smell eminating from it as I unwrapped the crinkly paper immediately transported me outdoors and into the woods; I imagined sitting 'round a campfire with a good mate just relaxing and talking.
I realised that the bar was a little large to use as is and took out a pen knife and allowed the blade to glide through the yeilding surface. The soap cut easily without cracking or flaking.
I took one piece into the bathroom and decided to wash with it straight away to get rid of the artificial smell of the hospital.
Being in Scotland I live in a soft water area so I cant attest to how the soap will fair in a hard water area or even salt water. But here it lathered into a nice creamy lather and I proceded to wash. Much to my mothers consternation I don't really like using soap on my face as it generally makes my skin feel uncomfortably tight. But the soap smelled so good I decided that I'd use it all over. Not being able to use the shower in my house due to the operation I stood at the sink and started to wash from top down. Some soaps aren't advisable to use in your hair as they don't rinse out very easily but after the first lather in my hair rinsed out easily with a few cups of water I went for a second lathering. Hair done I preceded to wash the rest of me, the soap rinsing off easliy and leaving my skin feeling clean and unclogged by residue. After changing the water I thought I'd give it a shaving test and proceded to lather up. Though I have a beard I like to keep it fairly trim and shave my neck and part of my cheeks. Decided not to use my shaving brush as I wanted to see how creamy a lather I could atain if I were in the field without an extra pice of equipment. The soap quickly attained a fine rich lather which was again spread over my face and neck. Decided to go the whole hog and took my straight razor out of the cabinet. Tend not to use it all the time as a normal razor can be a lot lighter and easier to use. The blade glided through the bubbly film taking short stubble with it easily. Between strokes the blade cleaned quickly and after an exilaratingly clean shave with no nicks requiring a stipic pencil I was suitable shaved and shorn and ready to face the rest of the day.
I've put one third of the soap into my travel wash kit where it'll live as a non messy all purpose soap. The piece I used for that first clense has been keeping me smelling right and keeping me clean with little sign of melting away quickly like some soaps do and will be used 'till it's time to buy some more from the kind pair on BCUK.
The third I took 'round to a mate in the village who is heading off for a weeks fishing up north where they're staying in a small fishing lodge with no electricity. It's a midge ridden area and normal scented soaps have a habit of drawing them in from miles around, and as I'd noticed that the little bity blighters didn't seem attracted to it I thought he'd like some. He'd mentioned that he couldn't find his midge jacket so I took him 'round a care package of my midge jacket, some Tom o'Tick twisters and the final piece of the Pine Tar Soap. As soon as the took the paper wrapped package out of the plastic bag he enthused how it was a proper "man" soap and like me how it reminded him of being at his Grans - back when they used "proper" soap. So armed with the things I'd brought and the tin of SS mide repelant he has he's off to face the hoard of blood sucking female fiends up at Loch Damph. He's promised me a wee report on his return (along with some home smoked trout hopefully).
So in all it seems to be a well priced soap that cleans well and rinses out with ease, doesn't attract insect life with sickly sweet perfumes and lasts well. It also has a "manly" smell which the ladies who I've met like. Another bonus is that if you allow to dry for a little bit before wrapping it up or puttng in a soap box doesn't go to a slimey mush.
When I have a little cash I intend to buy a few bits of it and that way can do the old fashioned thing of letting soap age so that it lasts even longer; well I am a mean East Coast Scot after all :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Awesome review of an awesome product, Xylaria & Woodstock will probably get a shock when we eventually meet as the urge to kiss them both will be strong, i will resist but a hearty man hug may not be avoidable, this soap has rid me of eczema, the last patch left on my left ankle is now less than a cm in size, my hands used to look like i'd take razors to my fingers, now my skin does not even show the scarring as even when it used to temporarily clear up my fingers looked sore and inflamed and it would take nothing for the slits to reopen in the grooves of my digits.

I use it on my whole body everyday, it cleanses hair perfectly without stripping it of natural oils or clagging it with crap afterwards trying to replace the usually stripped natural oils, my beard is luxurious, never ever use any oils or beard specific care products as i am a bloke and let it scraggle if it wants to scraggle, it is now my man mane and i find myself casually stroking it now an then, plus it never itches anymore, so sadly i can't attest to the shaving properties but it is clear from the lathering it creates it would be perfect for it.

Eloquent as ever GB the wordsmith in effect, hope my Geordie ramblings do not do anything but enhance your wordsmithery in comparison to my colloquial babblings.

Please Xylaria & Woodstock, let me know when the next batch is ready as i have about a months worth of soap left at my usage rate and i don't want to experience the misery of eczema again in my life and i don't want to go back to smelling of regular soap, smelling like you just left your camp fire is as natural as a man can smell in my book and i refuse to go back

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh its nice stuff. I've tried all sorts of pine tar, coal tar stuff, etc, as I have psoriasis, and this ranks up their with the best.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Great writeup, I can also vouch for how great the stuff is, I was given a sample of it too and now I'm hooked. I've got half a large Bar left so I don't think it will be long before I'm ordering more

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I wasn't complaining really, just joking about it as i am a walking talking advert for the stuff

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
everyone who comes to my house i make them have a try of it if i have not already and when camping i am pestered by those who have already tried it, my mother loves how it makes her hand skin feel but does not like to smell of fire, talk about picky lol nice healthy skin is no good as it doesn't smell of perfume or as she put it 'real soap'!!!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Am i the only one who paid? :lmao:

Ah but you get a bigger man hug from me, and a girlie one from Fi.

Fantastic writeup Colin, and thank you for all your comments if we ever need a sales team your all on it:You_Rock_

Ps we have some in stock at the moment.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's all good it is worth every penny.

If you would like a tester (and subsequent self appointed sales promotion team based on honest bench tests) for your midge repel i am off to the loch lomond area camping and canoeing at the end of the month and i am staying for a month, my peachy white flesh will be like a red flag to a bull to all those sexy female Scottish midgies so there'd be no finer test subject, i'm currently using Wilmas Nordic Summer and a 50% deet formula so it would be in a side by side comparison against as good as it gets.
:mosquitos:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ok we are up for a challenge, as you have Wilmas and Deet:eek: we will send you a Stupidly Simple Bug oil tester you can determine how to run your experiment and let us know how you get on.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Excellent stuff i'll try my best to be thorough, after my experience with your soap i have faith

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
A performance update on the soap, i've just finished doing some serious chain and gearing related maintenance on one of my bikes and was up to the elbows in grease and mank, was just about to reach for the swarfega, i know using swarfega with eczema i deserve the damage done but needs as the devils musts and all that, well NOT ANYMORE, nothing but hot water and this soap worked up to maximum lather and my hands are grease and mank free and feel as normal as i am now used to with all the flesh where it should be.

I normally avoid doing my maintenance until vital to avoid the harsh cleaners i have to use to get clean, small jobs i use gloves but long term working like this is worse than swarfega on the eczema, feel like getting covered in grease again just for the hell of it now :cool:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
I can confirm it's cleaning power, I'm a mechanic and come home covered in dirt, oil, grease, brake dust and brake fluid and the soap removes them all quickly. It really is amazing stuff

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Bad thing is i have now lost my only valid excuse for putting off my maintenance jobs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE