Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Ah well, back home in sunny Glasgow. Thanks to everyone for making the journey worthwhile, again great to put faces to names, though apologies if I forgot a few. Special thanks to Matt for setting this weekend up, to Wayland for his stories, to Firebreather for his err ... Fire show, and to Spamel for supplying the making for Wayland's game stew. Look forward to seeing you all again in the not to distant future, though I think I need to bring more drink next time ;)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
SWMBO is surprised I came home - she was convinced I would be killed in my sleep by a man wearing green, carrying a very sharp axe and equally sharp knife!
Simon

:D thats what Lin thought first time I went out.

Hope your guts have recovered from the ingested paraffin by now, for your missus' sake!

They have now mate it took a fair amount of home brew to help shift it :lmao:

(I might come alone next time...)
:rolleyes: your mate was great fun he kept SWMBO amused for the evening ..... he just had a few to many and who hasnt done that before :nana:

A huge thanks to everybody who was there it was a great weekend. Thanks for the food, tales and entertainment it was greatly appreciated.
Thanks for organising a great meet Matt.

I do think that the area should be renamed middleMUD.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
How was the rabbit? Did Ratbags' pigeon breasts go into it aswell? Sounds like you had a good meal there, I'm gutted I missed it.

me too mate, before i left, wayland thrust the old racing spoon my way, and i got to admit it was mighty tasty, for a split second i almost stayed, but i fear i would have had a right ear full of the misses if i was late home.............. but now i think of it, it would have proberbly been worth it :11doh:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Talking of food, almost forgot to say thanks to Bodge for his very tasty oatcakes on Sunday morning, will have to get the recipe.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Oh i forgot to ask earlier if anyone managed to get any piccys of me firebreathing. If you got any could you please forward them on to me as I am a bit short of good piccys as my camera is naff.
Cheers Greg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Got back this afternoon from recharging my outdoor batteries at Middlewood. I'm typing this at 3am. because I just can't sleep in a real bed tonight..

First of all, thanks to Matt for organizing a great meet. The weather was worse than we hoped for but far better than we expected really. As such it was a great opportunity to test all our winter gear and set ups without being too extreme.

There was a diverse turn out, from old hands to new faces, varying experiences and ages too. Evenings around the camp fire are always an enjoyable part of such events but perhaps due to the weather or maybe this diversity of people there was a particularly great camaraderie this weekend.

Many people have already been mentioned such as Bodge for the oak cakes which were really good, Spammel and Ratbag for the lovely game that went into the stew, Firebreather for the fire show and I should also mention the banjo playing as well. In the end it's almost unfair to pick out individuals because it is the mix of all the people that turn up to these meet ups that contribute to the unique character of each one.

I hope all the new faces had as good a time as I did. It was particularly nice to meet so many new people at such a challenging time of year. We hope you'll all make it to future meets which will perhaps be a little less muddy.

When the sun comes up it's time to unpack the van and dry off the tarps so they can be packed away until the next time... Not too far off I hope...

corr

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2006
crewe, cheshire
Oh i forgot to ask earlier if anyone managed to get any piccys of me firebreathing. If you got any could you please forward them on to me as I am a bit short of good piccys as my camera is naff.
Cheers Greg

well i fillemd it and not sure how big it is but i can try and send it pm me youe e-mail

Twas good in the wood in the mud. It would of been better if not wetter but it wasn't.

I had a great time and was made to feel welcome by all. Matt and Wayland said I could come again as long as I brought oatcakes:)

Thanks Addo for the lift to and from Muddlemud.
I enjoyed the archery too Simon M :)
I didn't get around to firing the compound though Chris, maybe next time?
Well done Matt for the organisation of this meet.
I hope to see you all again soon.

Bodge

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks to Matt for a great meet. Cheers to everyone I met for the company and help/advice. I have another great big list of things I think I need! or change. Just about got all my kit dry and me clean. Found a new brusers and sratches from Fri night after an interesting time trying to find and get into my hamock. Cant imagine why?
Great story Wayland, may there be many more.
Look forward to the next one chaps.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Btw forgot to say how much I enjoyed the Archery, Cheers to Simon, Chris, and others for sorting this out. That Compound is a Beast, my arms are aching a bit but thats my fault for not putting it down. And of course next time I go anywhere it wont be without Staffordshire Oakcakes! Cheers Bodge.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
For those of you that couldn't stay over on Sunday night, you missed another great story from Wayland, this one had Ice Giants.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'll not start naming names here as Wayland already beat me to it saying everyone made the event what it was - great! Quite a turnout it was to and from what I gathered everyone had a muddy good time :D

So a massive thanks to each and every one of you for coming and sorry to those folks who couldn't make it.

Here's to the next time we meet.

I'm going to miss this thread :( :D

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Btw forgot to say how much I enjoyed the Archery, Cheers to Simon, Chris, and others for sorting this out. That Compound is a Beast, my arms are aching a bit but thats my fault for not putting it down.

Glad you enjoyed it!

For those of you that couldn't stay over on Sunday night, you missed another great story from Wayland, this one had Ice Giants.

:( Gutted I missed that one.

Until next time.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE