Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi all,

Still full of the joys of the last Delamere meet set up by Goose I had an idea regards doing a similar thing at the local scout camp which I first mentioned in this thread .

Well I have just got off the phone to a nice woman called Jill Rigby whose husband Phil is the camp Warden. She asked what it is we want to do etc so after a bit of discussion she agreed to ask Phil for permission for us to have a meet which he has kindly granted. Cost is the standard £4 per person per night.

The thing is that due to the scouting season running from April to October and the issue of CRB police checks we only have permission to camp from November to March so it will effectively be a winter camp. I'm personally up for it but the question is - will you join me? Obviously it is a while off yet but I would like to gauge initial interest from here on in.

The set-up will be much the same as Goose had whereby I claim no responsibility for people or property. Bring your own food, shelter, FAK etc.

There are no open ground fires allowed as is the norm with scout camps but I will find out about off the ground braziers.

As regards the lake I asked about canoeing in case anyone is interested and was told that the local angling club own it and can be a bit particular who they let on it but can ask on our behalf if there is any interest.

If anyone who has done this before has any advice then please offer it. Are there any dates that stick out that would clash with other stuff be it moots, meets, big events what have you.

The website has a couple of bugs so here is the site map and here is the location as per multimap

I hope this comes good and look forward to meeting folk.

Any questions fire away.

Thanks.

EDIT: Dates for this event are Friday 30th November to Sunday 2nd December.

:eek: Forgot to say that the cost is £4 per person per night. It's a standard fee for scout camps and 100% goes to the scouts - not me ;)

My apologies for forgetting, I hope no-one is put off :eek:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Wayland said:
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Winter camps are a great opportunity to test your gear out in more diverse conditions and because many sites close for the winter it's an opportunity we sometimes miss.

Depending on dates I'm definately up for it.

Indeed, I'm hoping to trade the family dome tent for a tipi with stove soon as funds allow, hopefully in time for this. Cheers Wayland :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
bikething said:
plenty of trees for hammocks the last time we were there ;)

new year meet 2005

Ahhh so Middlewood has been used before - that's fantastic as the reports for the site were brilliant.

However, I don't want to step on anyone's toes here so if anyone has anything planned and think this may clash let me know.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm not aware of anything planned that far into the future, but then what would i know down here in the back end of Devon :rolleyes:

We used the main cub site which had a building in the corner that was basically a roof on 4 legs with benches round the edges, in the middle of which was an alter fire (half a barrel on legs) - useful bit of shelter to cook / chill out under :)

There was also a crows nest, the legs of which ended up supporting a hammock ! :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Soundds like a good plan! I need to speak to the guy who runs the camp up here, it would be nice to have a number of meet up locations. Silverwood hasn't got any lakes unfortunately, and I'm not too sure about the surrounding woodland which I believe isn't part of the premises. Fires are off the ground, again the nor, but safety is paramount as the site is based on an old coal face! It has a ghost train that goes by aswell!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm in.
We had the new year meet there in '05. It was a good fun meet, albeit quite small.

of course this is assuming I'm in this country.

S

shaunmcdonald

It all sounds good so far.. hopefully work permitting we will be there :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chaps,

I am thinking 16th - 18th November. That way bonfire night weekend(s) are well out of the way and we're not in the depths of winter. What say ye?

I will ring the camp this weekend and provisionally book it.

EDIT: Ignore these dates - see first post in the thread.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Hmmmm! As Firebreather said, "Another local meet!" I'll do a jig later when there's not so many people about.

Count on my support too, Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE