Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
group cook up sounds great :) I sometimes make black peas and neck of mutton on bonfire night its a traditional nw dish from the olden days has cow heal in it :D its very nice the cows heel dissolves into it. if anyone fancies that i will look at getting some stuff together , I would have to find a big pan I don't mind using on a fire though and it would take a full day simmer

Bring it on John.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:eek: Forgot to say that the cost is £4 per person per night. It's a standard fee for scout camps and 100% goes to the scouts - not me ;)

My apologies for forgetting, I hope no-one is put off :eek:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Goose said:
What a rip off!

:lmao:

No problem....

Matt. is there a Supermarket or shop in the area? I was just thinking if we get organized on the first night we could get some funds together for a group cook up on the Saturday but we need to be able to get some grub.

Aiye, Nat has offered to nip out to pick up whatever we need so we'll get a list together early on.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is what i reckon I will need cutlery wise for the Middlewood meet, all are finished except the big 'un!

So, from the left!

HPIM2986.jpg

Tea spoon, for..errrr. tea!

My normal eating spoon, and the first spoon I ever made.

Another eating spoon, also good for stirring stews and the curries.

Serving spoon, for serving! Slightly charred as it was the first time I tried the hot oil method of sealing the wood. Doesn't affect the taste at all though.

The unfinished monster spoon, for when I go round to Matts' tent for dinner! Got to have a bigger spoon then Matt!

:D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
D'you know what Spam - I've had my spoon knife for months now but have yet to make a spoon so no :eek: I can't even challenge.

They are mighty nice spoons though. One day eh?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No time like the present, well, maybe after your eyes have settled down after the surgery. I gathered some nice sweet chestnut earlier on, a large dead branch was hanging off the tree over a path in a small ravine some 10 feet below. I trimmed it off, took a piece for my knife sheath and two pieces to make spoons and knives from, the rest is on the forest floor for the bugs.

Hopefully, we will find a few minutes at Middlewood and we can whittle away. I have also a couple of bits and bobs to be passed around the fire of an evening that may keep people thinking a bit!

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i am going to be going to the Middlewood meet up but i am after an axe. dose any one have a gransfors bruks hunters axe or some thing like it around that size.i wouldent mind new or second and in good nick with the leather sheath still with it. if you will be there and have one please PM me with any photos and price and we can take it from there... many thanks carl (mentalnurse)

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
looks a little big for a racing spoon spam you sure your gonna get that in everyone's pot :D

matt, any idea what time we can turn up at the site, i wanted to try setting up a bit differant and may not have time to try it out before the meet, don't fancy experimenting by candle light :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
i am going to be going to the Middlewood meet up but i am after an axe. dose any one have a gransfors bruks hunters axe or some thing like it around that size.i wouldent mind new or second and in good nick with the leather sheath still with it. if you will be there and have one please PM me with any photos and price and we can take it from there... many thanks carl (mentalnurse)

I don't have one for sale, but I have a Small Forest Axe that you are more than welcome to take a peek at.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
looks a little big for a racing spoon spam you sure your gonna get that in everyone's pot :D

matt, any idea what time we can turn up at the site, i wanted to try setting up a bit differant and may not have time to try it out before the meet, don't fancy experimenting by candle light :rolleyes:

Alan,

I have booked the Friday off so I should be there pretty early as I want to get my hammock camp set up plus the new lavva and stove camp which' whilst I believe it's a quick 10 minute job once you get the hang of it have, I no clue about yet. I also plan to put some BCUK signs up to help guide folk in so I think I'll be there from lunchtime Friday maybe earlier if I can.

Goose,

I don't suppose you have an electronic copy of the BCUK leaf motif that you used for your signs do you? If you do then I will PM you with my email address. If not then I will come up with something :)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Goose,

I don't suppose you have an electronic copy of the BCUK leaf motif that you used for your signs do you? If you do then I will PM you with my email address. If not then I will come up with something :)
Matt, I asked Tony for a copy of the logo and permission to use it for direction signs (as he owns the copyright ;) ) and he emailed the files to me - might be worth a PM to see if he can email them to you, or if he OKs it I'll email them when i get home

cheers
Steve

p.s. how thick are the walls on a clay oven ;) - I guess fairly thick to store enough heat:confused: ?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt, I asked Tony for a copy of the logo and permission to use it for direction signs (as he owns the copyright ;) ) and he emailed the files to me - might be worth a PM to see if he can email them to you, or if he OKs it I'll email them when i get home

cheers
Steve

p.s. how thick are the walls on a clay oven ;) - I guess fairly thick to store enough heat:confused: ?

Cheers Steve,

I'll PM Tony about the permissions.

As for the clay oven I'm guessing that 2" - 3" should be substantial enough?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think the thickness is a massive issue, from what I can gather, you fire the oven and then push the embers to the outside and stick whatever you want to bake in the middle. It only needs to be thick enough to support itself and not break.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah, I'm glad you're here! Just reminded me about that book you and Gary have, the tramping book. Any chance that you or Gary could bring it along for a quick peek please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE