Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helly hanson

Jan 31, 2007
kinder scout
Matt
Thank you for the reply so fast so early I/we should be there all things in sky equal.what I was wondering is about parking is the car park ground soft ie grassy or hard ie stony?? Because I will be comming by bike.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt
Thank you for the reply so fast so early I/we should be there all things in sky equal.what I was wondering is about parking is the car park ground soft ie grassy or hard ie stony?? Because I will be comming by bike.

Car park is solid as is the road in so bike will be fine. Just make sure you have enough 'warm kit' if you are staying over ;)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm really chuffed about the response to this thread and am really excited about the event and feel that as this gathering has grown to such an extent I have to consider the implications that grow with it. This means the health, safety, welfare, happiness and most importantly enjoyment of the event for everyone of us.

So after much thought and some discussion I have decided that some basic ground rules should be regarded by all of us. These are basically the same as the rules as Decorum has set in his meet thread with some of my own alterations ;).

Please note that the although number 15 is last on the list yet it is 1st in priority :D

Meet Rules and Responsibilities.

1. You are responsible for yourself, your kit and your food (before, during and after the Meet). You are also responsible for getting, safely, to and from the Meet.
2. Although I’m willing to collect together the camping/visitor fees and pay the site, you are responsible for bringing the money and giving it to me (and those of any dependant with you).
3. Prior to arrival you should know how to safely use the kit you’re going to use.
4. Don’t borrow anyone else’s kit without asking first. If they say no then respect that answer. If they say yes take note of any and all instruction they give on its use.
5. If you need to borrow kit for the meet you are free to ask on this thread. If you do borrow something it becomes your responsibility, it should go back to the owner as clean and tidy (and working!) as possible.
6. If you damage someone else’s kit you should be prepared to make reparations (borrowed or not!).
7. Respect the site and any other users. Please be aware when using more colourful language that children and other folk who may be offended could be within earshot.
7a. Please also be aware that later in the evening around the main fire the language may well get colourful on occasion.
8. Don’t use anything sharp, heavy or reasonably dangerous if you’re feeling tired or unwell. And no sharps are to be used if you have had a drink so bottles out, sharps away please!
9. You are responsible for both bringing any prescribed medication you need and taking it.
10. Below is a health form that will need to be filled in by everyone attending and put in a sealed envelop (with your name written clearly on it) then given to me when you arrive (this way the contents will remain absolutely confidential - unless you have a serious incident). This form will require emergency home contact details and phone number(s) – preferably next-of-kin, don’t panic!!! In the highly unlikely event of you requiring serious medical attention the easy availability of this information would mean that the medical authorities don’t have to find out who they need to get permission from and then track them down
11. If you have an on going medical condition that people around you may need to know about please let me know either in this thread or at the Meet. E.g. I have Epilepsy, which becomes a problem when I’m tired – this shouldn’t cause any great problem at the Meet but complying with #7 could be problematic to someone who has touretts.
12. You are responsible for your own actions (and those of any dependants with you) - if it’s not on this list it doesn’t automatically mean that it’s ok to do it!
13. If you think that someone's doing something unsafe then tell them (politely).
14. Please use common sense at all times.
15. HAVE FUN!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
seems pretty straight forward matt, i usually have one of those id whistle's on me when out and about, with similar info, with the ammount of sharp things that are bound to be knocking about, do you think it worth adding blood group to the bottom of the form

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
ok matt, by the way if anyone does want to know there blood type, just pop along to a blood donor session, theye will tell you for free, well for a pint of the red stuff :D but you do get a nice biccy in return, fair swap in my eyes :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I could also bring a few Hazel sticks up, but I am by no means a stick maker! I take some bark off, leave a bit on, attatch a home made ferrule and sand, oil and wax it! They work for me though. I have two being force dried at the moment on the radiator!

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have a few sticks that i have made and loads that i have got over the years , but its finding the raw stuff still growing that i need help spoting and collecting if you know what i mean. "CANT SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES" lol....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A hazel coppice or maybe sycamore would be good for stick making. Nice straight woods. The various pines will do the job, just get in the woods and have a poke about! Look for shadey area where smaller saplings will be growing straight up to get to the available sunlight.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Another newbie who would love to come along. Hopefully + 1 or 2 friends if I manage to talk one the softies into it. I know nothing about bushcraft but I have been studying a herbal medicine degree so I have lots of information to swap with anyone interested.

As for night time entertainment a fun game I like is man hunt with a lantern. One person carries the lantern and the other people have to creep up to that person without being detected and tag them. Once you've tagged the lenternee you are on their side and help them hunt down the remaining people. I'm not sure how you'll all react to me wanting to play games but its lots more fun then it sounds, gives you a chance to develop your stalking technique.

I'm a bit confused about the site, did someone say there was water we may be able to canoe on? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Lottie, or is it Lou?

I'm sure you know more bushcraft than you realise and as for the herbal medicine degree, well that's fantastic and one avenue of bushcraft that particularly interests me - not that I know much - but you know, I still love it :D (that and food :lmao: )

Stick your name on the list and I'll see you there :)

Edit: Oh and the lake, well, there is a lake there but it's owned by an angling club, not the scout's but the scout do have permission to use it when the angling club aren't so where that leaves us I'm not too sure. I have asked the question but answers were somewhat vague.

I think the gist is that if the angling club aren't using it then we'll be OK to. I will ask again - watch this space. Lottie Lou do you have a canoe that you would like to bring or was it a general question?

What do people think about the inflatable kayaks? I believe that is a swearword over on SOTP so if anyone could PM me to educate me on this subject that'd be great thanks!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt, I asked Tony for a copy of the logo and permission to use it for direction signs (as he owns the copyright ;) ) and he emailed the files to me - might be worth a PM to see if he can email them to you, or if he OKs it I'll email them when i get home

cheers
Steve

p.s. how thick are the walls on a clay oven ;) - I guess fairly thick to store enough heat:confused: ?

Hi Steve,

I've just has the OK from Tony to use the logo so can you mail me the files please?

Ta,

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Hi Lottie, or is it Lou?

I'm sure you know more bushcraft than you realise and as for the herbal medicine degree, well that's fantastic and one avenue of bushcraft that particularly interests me - not that I know much - but you know, I still love it :D (that and food :lmao: )

Stick your name on the list and I'll see you there :)

Edit: Oh and the lake, well, there is a lake there but it's owned by an angling club, not the scout's but the scout do have permission to use it when the angling club aren't so where that leaves us I'm not too sure. I have asked the question but answers were somewhat vague.

I think the gist is that if the angling club aren't using it then we'll be OK to. I will ask again - watch this space. Lottie Lou do you have a canoe that you would like to bring or was it a general question?

What do people think about the inflatable kayaks? I believe that is a swearword over on SOTP so if anyone could PM me to educate me on this subject that'd be great thanks!

Hello it's Charlotte :) Yes I have a canoe I'd like to bring if there is the opportunity, don't want to get in anyones way though. As for inflatable kayaks well theres some reviews on SOTP >>here<< obviously they call them canoes, but some shops call them kayaks... lets just call them vessles. Obviously they have more drag and as a result are slower and you have to put more effort into going in a straight line, but on the plus you have more buoyancy. Thats all I can say really as I havent used one. I think if it was a choice between the inflatable or not having a canoe I'd certainly go for a good inflatable.

Well I hope I've done this right let me know if I haven't:

Moschops
Gorilla + 1
Gailainne
thingswelike
SOAR
Wayland
spamel
JulianWormwood
Matt Weir and family
Goose
Singeblister
Wanderinstar
Fishaben
Aragorn
PJMcBear
Mentalnurse
SimonM + 1
Nichola
Addo (leg permitting)
Eds (hopefully)
Neanderthal & Kalahari
Lodian
Copper_head
Firebreather & Lin (swmbo)
Graham_S
Mountain Man
Chris G and possibly tribe
Bikething
Lazysod
helly hansen
lottie.lou + 1

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
Another newbie who would love to come along. Hopefully + 1 or 2 friends if I manage to talk one the softies into it. I know nothing about bushcraft but I have been studying a herbal medicine degree so I have lots of information to swap with anyone interested.

As for night time entertainment a fun game I like is man hunt with a lantern. One person carries the lantern and the other people have to creep up to that person without being detected and tag them. Once you've tagged the lenternee you are on their side and help them hunt down the remaining people. I'm not sure how you'll all react to me wanting to play games but its lots more fun then it sounds, gives you a chance to develop your stalking technique.

I'm a bit confused about the site, did someone say there was water we may be able to canoe on? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick.

this game sounds like a northen spain tradition about dead people, cant rember the name of it was told about it by a spanish nurse at work?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE