Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Not too sure. I see it being made by just pushing the ends into the ground, so it would end up looking like a very small hooped tent! Without the fly sheet!

I suppose you would need to get a few billy cans on top, so maybe a couple of feet long by a foot wide, and maybe 8 to 12 inches high? Total guesswork of course, maybe some of the archealogical sorts could give us a more definitive answer. Saying that, I think the experimenting is half of the fun!

I'm thinking we may be told to build it on top of stone slabs or even one of the existing fire altars rather than directly onto the ground? I will look at collecting some material tonight.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Matt - "2" doesn't sound a lot " Oh-err misses!

As they say, it depends on how you use it! It will probably end up sitting in a seperate tray anyway to that should remove problems of scortching/ buring underneath.

Chris

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Kind of like this affair?

Clayoven.jpg

Sorry for the poor paint skills :eek: but I hope you get the idea.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt - "2" doesn't sound a lot " Oh-err misses!

As they say, it depends on how you use it! It will probably end up sitting in a seperate tray anyway to that should remove problems of scortching/ buring underneath.

Chris

LOL, yes, I see what you mean about the ash pan Chris.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's almost exactly how I see it working, maybe a couple of holes in the top to allow flame and heat through for pots on top. They could be closed with some clay lids perhaps, when needing to use it as an oven.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I think the oven would have to be 3' wide x 2' high.

It shouldn't take long to make a rough basket. Someone can be mixing straw with the clay whilst it's put together (straw helps to prevent cracking while it's fired).

Once the embers of the firing burn down they are pushed to the outside edge of the dome, away from the centre where your baking goods go.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
So, this oxtail collective of your's Spamel?

You mention big chunks do it for you so how about we get some real oxtail, brown it off then leave it to simmer in the soup until it falls to pieces?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
That sounds like a good idea, there are a few cows round here that probably don't need their tails, or can you actually buy it in UK?!

Oh aiye, any decent butcher will do it and it's cheap too.

I'll put an order in with my local butcher should I?

My mum makes it by brazing it in the oven in onion or leek gravy and it takes a couple of hours so maybe I should pre-braze it and bring it down ready?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
MMmmmmmmmmmm! Sounds good already! I saw it for sale in Germany, but I've never seen it round here. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough! So, how many meals have we got sorted now?!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well, the oxtail special and cheese and chutney so far and if we get the go ahead on the clay oven then maybe we can do something on the Sunday if it's ready?

I think that food is going to be the main theme of this event :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Has to be in the winter, food gives you energy which keeps you warm! I've got to get some more stags breath aswell, I've not put much of a dent in my second bottle yet, but yet is the operative word!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've heard of welsh rarebit, cheese on toast innit? What's the english version all about?

Also, what did vikings eat! I'll bet they didn't eat crap food!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I can't wait for this meet now, a group cook sounds good to me, do we all need to bring something?. I can see those couldrons going now Wayland, with the clay oven alongside.

Simon.

group cook up sounds great :) I sometimes make black peas and neck of mutton on bonfire night its a traditional nw dish from the olden days has cow heal in it :D its very nice the cows heel dissolves into it. if anyone fancies that i will look at getting some stuff together , I would have to find a big pan I don't mind using on a fire though and it would take a full day simmer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE