Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Looks like we can make this one. :)
A good excuse to make pancakes over an open fire on our new griddle.:D

Moschops
Gorilla + 1
Gailainne
thingswelike
SOAR
Wayland
spamel
andyn
JulianWormwood
Matt Weir
Goose
Singeblister
Wanderinstar
Fishaben
Aragorn
PJMcBear
Mentalnurse asked me to add him
SimonM + 1
Nichola
Addo (leg permitting)
Eds (hopefully)
Neanderthal & Kalahari

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm really looking forward to this now, I'm gonna stick my neck out and change this to a definite, as it is my birthday a few days after so I reckon I could push my luck with Frau Spamel!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Folks,

As there are a few new folk coming I was wondering whether it may be a good idea if someone (more qualified than myself) would be kind enough to give a short talk 5 minute talk on the safe use of knifes/axes? I don't want to sound condescending or patronising but think that if it reminds us (even the old hands) to think before we act then it may save someone cutting their weekend short (pun intended - sorry). It would be good especially for any kids there.

Anyone up for that?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Maybe some sort of discrete hand out would be a good idea. I certainly think knife safety is very important, but I wouldn't like to stand up and preach to a bunch of people (some of whom I've never met before) about the correct way to do this, that and the other. I certainly see your point and don't disagree with what you are saying, but I think something that could be given to people as they arrive and then enforce the point that if they are in any doubt as to safe use they should ask somebody for advice would be a less preachy way of going about it. It's a difficult one for sure.

A sharp tool use workshop may work though, using the time old E.D.I.P. method to teach people the correct way to swing an axe or push cut a knife, but it would be dependant on what tools people bring. I would help with that.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Sounds like a good idea, most meet ups I have seen a few incidents that made me wince and have given, and been given, safety tips on the use of sharps. Formalising it a bit could be useful for some who may be embarrassed to ask and even more embarrassed if "pulled up" or having to pull someone up for an unsafe practice.
Wayland was organising a sharps safety list, perhaps that could be useful.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm happy to show how to chop and split logs for use on a fire. The only thing I'd ask is that anybody wanting to try wears a good pair of sturdy leather boots, steelies would be ideal. After watching the guy on Last Man Standing, flip flops are a definite no no!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks chaps.

Spamel, it would be fantastic if you were to give a bit of an axe usage workshop.:You_Rock_

The handout idea is fundamentally sound but I can't help thinking folk will just nod obligingly, take one then use it for tinder :D (I would :naughty: ) I get the feeling that it's somewhat impersonal and in black and white comes across as a rule to be obeyed - something that smacks of big brother and we are in the woods to get away from that rather than a friendly word of advice.

Of course there are no obligations and we are all free to do as we want which is the beauty of these meets. I just hope folk will have the confidence to shout 'STOP' if they spot a potential situation developing and anyone within earshot freezes to check the situation no matter how innocent an activity the perceive to be the case which was highlighted in a safety talk given by Sargey at the summer moot.

At the very least I would like everyone attending to check out Waylands thread on the subject.

Apologies for coming across a H&S but better safe than sorry.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I can see spams point that some folk may not like the idea of being told what to do and how to do it, personally I appreciate it and would hope somebody would put me right if they saw me doing something wrong/dangerous, I would rather look a bit of a lemon than injure myself or somebody else, the demo sounds a good idea, it isn't focussed on one individual and they will probably be a few who think "I didn't know that" or "so that's the proper way to pass a knife" that sort of thing, after all if it wasn't for goose pointing it out I would still be using my opinel without the blade lock...ouch :eek:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi all,

As a newby, to bushcraft at least, i woud feel offended (embarrassed?) if somebody came over telling me how to handle sharps. However, from past experience, it is always good to remind people of safety rules / guidelines before an activity takes place. E.g how many times did you hear range safety rules explained if you were a member of the forces?

I agree that a short, informal workshop / reminder would be useful so if anyone is up for it go ahead - i for one will be listening and watching!

I have copied Waylands "Rules" as I think they are an excellent handout and will use them with both my kids aty school and when I help with the local Scouts. Thanks!

Simon M

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We'll be looking at long dark nights by this meet so how about thinking of something to do in the dark instead of just drinking ourselves silly.

One idea is a bit of story telling. I'm not thinking of kiddies story time (although that's OK too) but how about learning a ghost story or some myth or legend to tell around the campfire.

Some singing is another possibility.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

I thought I'd start this early to give people some preparation time.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
We'll be looking at long dark nights by this meet so how about thinking of something to do in the dark instead of just drinking ourselves silly.

One idea is a bit of story telling. I'm not thinking of kiddies story time (although that's OK too) but how about learning a ghost story or some myth or legend to tell around the campfire.

Some singing is another possibility.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

I thought I'd start this early to give people some preparation time.

Brilliant idea about the storytelling, however I struggle telling simple jokes let alone stories and there must be someone itching to whip out the old 6 string for a jam. I'll have a think about activities other than - or as well as - drinking to stupidity ;) for dark nights though.

Nice ideas Gary.

Idea: how about everyone try to bring a bongo type drum and we go for a mass pow wow rhythm induced transcendental state?

Edit: or not - that sounds a bit weird really. Still - bring a bongo! It should be fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE