Middlewood Scout Camp Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have a really old, spooky Viking story I've rescued from obscurity that I've been meaning to tell for a while.

Seems like a good opportunity if people are up for it.

Too right. Should we book you in for Saturday 21:00 after everyones eaten and relaxed and were past the watershed for ears too young?

Followed by a right rousing rockin' with Greg on the old Jo?

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Oh :censored: !!!!!

I've just been reading through the thread looking for the link to the site, and just seen that the date was changed from mid to the end of November early on, which I had failed to notice before. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I already have commitments for the end of November so will have to pull out. Also have to cancel my day's leave I had booked for the friday 16th DOH! LOL.

If there are any plans to make this a recurring location, maybe late winter or early spring next year then I will endeavour to make it up there.

Or have I got it mixed up twice and it is the 16th-18th?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Oh :censored: !!!!!

I've just been reading through the thread looking for the link to the site, and just seen that the date was changed from mid to the end of November early on, which I had failed to notice before. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I already have commitments for the end of November so will have to pull out. Also have to cancel my day's leave I had booked for the friday 16th DOH! LOL.

If there are any plans to make this a recurring location, maybe late winter or early spring next year then I will endeavour to make it up there.

Or have I got it mixed up twice and it is the 16th-18th?

:censored: indeed Andy, it is at the end of November mate - 30th to 2nd as that was the first available weekend.

Really sorry about for any confusion and inconvenience with the dates :(

I will edit the first post to stop further confusion.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have been through the thread and updated the list (Seems we lost Mountain Man at some point)...

Moschops
Gorilla + 1
Gailainne
thingswelike
SOAR
Wayland
spamel
JulianWormwood
Matt Weir
Goose
Singeblister
Wanderinstar
Fishaben
Aragorn
PJMcBear
Mentalnurse asked me to add him
SimonM + 1
Nichola
Addo (leg permitting)
Eds (hopefully)
Neanderthal & Kalahari
Lodian
Copper_head
Firebreather
Graham_S
Mountain Man

Quite a list, can't wait :D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Too right. Should we book you in for Saturday 21:00 after everyones eaten and relaxed and were past the watershed for ears too young?

Followed by a right rousing rockin' with Greg on the old Jo?

sounds like a good night, cant wait.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I'm still a newby to Bushcraft but I'm up for this. I'll need to speak to the wife about her and the kids - we may end up dropping the kids (toddlers) off with grandma, or I may come on my own?

As for using sharps - 100% support a "Toolbox Talk" (as they're called in the construction industry). You can never stop learning so nobody should take offence at being reminded of the possibilities of not using sharps correctly.

Story telling, etc - fantastic!

Kit - Hmmm, tent or hammock? - depends on whether SWMBO comes as well. (Haven't actually got a hammock or tarp yet but that can soon be sorted). I'll be after recommendations for hammocks on another thread in a minute.

Fire - Off ground (coal mine). Ok. So what do I build a fire in? (Keen to develop my smoke-bow skills). Anyone got any suggestions? Do I need my own fire?

Archery - Well I've got an old compound bow in the loft with all the rest of the kit that goes with that type of bow - not very bushcrafty though. I've also got a few target sheets up there as well (and there's a colour copier at work.....).

That's it for now!

Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There'll be altars to use for fires. Basically, half an oil drum on a stand. They work really well as they are off of the damp ground and get a good air flow. Either that or get to work on a hobo stove now, you've got two months to get it ready!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chris Garland said:
I'm still a newby to Bushcraft but I'm up for this. I'll need to speak to the wife about her and the kids - we may end up dropping the kids (toddlers) off with grandma, or I may come on my own?

Either Chris. I think my tribe will be around during the day but retire to their beds of an evening - the best thing about organising a meet is that it's on your doorstep :D

Chris Garland said:
As for using sharps - 100% support a "Toolbox Talk" (as they're called in the construction industry). You can never stop learning so nobody should take offence at being reminded of the possibilities of not using sharps correctly.

Quite right.

Chris Garland said:
Story telling, etc - fantastic!

Isn't it :D :D :D

Chris Garland said:
Kit - Hmmm, tent or hammock? - depends on whether SWMBO comes as well. (Haven't actually got a hammock or tarp yet but that can soon be sorted). I'll be after recommendations for hammocks on another thread in a minute.

I'll be in the hammock myself as I have made myself an underblanket I want to try out (initial tests in the garden are positive i.e. cosy warm). I'll also have a self inflating mat. I may go for my faux fur throw as it's comfy and warm rather than a sleeping bag. Dunno yet though.

Chris Garland said:
Fire - Off ground (coal mine). Ok. So what do I build a fire in? (Keen to develop my smoke-bow skills). Anyone got any suggestions? Do I need my own fire?

I'm not sure on how many 'alters' there are available yet but they aren't large enough to keep a fire going all night anyway so your sleep system will be more important as regards warmth.

Cooking, well I will have my Swedish Army Trangia but there will be a fire somewhere you can pop your pan on. If things get desperate we can phone for a pizza :lmao: :ban: :joke:

Chris Garland said:
Archery - Well I've got an old compound bow in the loft with all the rest of the kit that goes with that type of bow - not very bushcrafty though. I've also got a few target sheets up there as well (and there's a colour copier at work.....).

Of course it's bushcrafty :D compound or hand made yew longbow it doesn't matter really. Again though we all need to be aware of the safety implications around things that make you go ouch. Now everyone, say 'yes uncle Matt' :rolleyes: :p

Chris Garland said:
That's it for now!

Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Matt, can you cook a pizza on an open fire? I suppose if you could prop it at an angle in front of the fire like Ray does with his bannock, that might work! So, that's one to try now isn't it!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt, can you cook a pizza on an open fire? I suppose if you could prop it at an angle in front of the fire like Ray does with his bannock, that might work! So, that's one to try now isn't it!

Probably, I'm up for a bash. How's about we make an oven using some big stones and mud.

Or even - hangi? :naughty:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I tell you what, I like the sound of the mud oven. Also, there is the oven which has a buried fire with an entrance at the front to pop firewood in and a chimney to draw the air in. I cannot remember the name of it at the moment, so will need to look in my library. Is there a source of clay in the area such as a river bank or a pond/lake?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Matt, can you cook a pizza on an open fire?
Yep - i was playing with a variation on a reflector oven the last time I was at Delamere

all you need is some tinfoil, string and some greensticks, (allegedly) . You need to have a fire that's burning with lots of bright flame for it to work properly though ;)

there's a lake near the site too - we tried an eel-bag when we were there but didn't catch anything

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Matt,
If there is room, I'm seriously thinking about this w/e which looks really great, but I need to figure out family stuff first. So could you put me down as a definite maybe :)
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE