Middlewood Halloween 2010 Photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
hi they are called spit jacks a couple of companys made them from around 1850s this one is by john linwood but salter made them also salter are the same company that made scales and weights i brought this one at auction for 10 pounds and i saw one at auction again today sell for 30 pounds if you go on somewhere like ebay and enter spit jacks or brass spit it normally comes up with a few if any body wants one and cant find one i can always find you one from the crowman. they work better with more weight to slow them down a small pig or lambs are good they normally come with a cast iron wheel below the hook which acts as a weight and has for hook points so you can roast upto 4 joints of whatever ya fancy .

Last edited:

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
hi this looks in good order bu if it does not come with a key and has not been tried they rarely work but for this price it is worth the gamble and most 5.5mm clock keys fit them which can be bought cheap as well off ebay and if it doesnt work it is still a great bit of history and good ornament for your fireplace and talking point.
Suprising how cheap you can pick one up for clicky

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Everytime I walked past that tent I would rubber neck and walk into tree's. So much shiney to look at.

Many thanks for the warm hospitality and a taste of your home made sloe gin much appreciated.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
hi in the video it is going to fast but does work but is slower to cook. i have used this at home and timed it with a decent weight of meat on it worked for 3 1/2 hours but without its cast wheel and just the chicken on like in the video it only lasts about 1 1/2 hours i eventualy slid the frying pan thats on the rack upto the chicken so it rubbed on the spit rod and this slowed it down , they go slower and last longer the more weight you add, i made the rod that holds the chicken but it should have a heavy cast wheel above that. i will cast one when i have the time.
It works :) Thanks for that. It spins it a bit faster than I was expecting. How long did one winding last?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE