Middle Lane Drivers - bit of a rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I can honestly say I'm not the fastest of drivers, sometimes I make a mistake and sometimes I just dont think (normally by being tired from a long shift)

But, you have to hand it to some people. I've seen some horrendous stuff on the roads, even by my standards :p

al.

I'm no angel, or F1 driver either, and we all add to the problem, but I have to agree. I do a regular Friday evening trip up the A12, and the level or tail gating idiots, desperate to get out of London for the weekend is ridiculous.
It's only 2 lanes anyway. Where are they going to get to? Only the next bumper 50m up the road.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My pet hate is people who don't indicate at roundabouts, meaning you have to wait until they turn off just because they can't be bothered to move their finger about 3". Turning right without indicating at roundabouts is positively dangerous. Doesn't really apply to motorway driving but still had to vent.

That's another one that does my head in

That's a common misconception. I was busted for 42 in a 40 zone.

Wow that's harsh

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
That's another one that does my head in

Wow that's harsh

Yeahhh! roundabout plonkers, near where I live there's two roundabouts together, I've seen on numerous occasions, cars doing complete rounds without indicating, surely they don't have a licence?

The middle laners need a safety get-out (imo) "I can go left or right if there's a problem ahead" gob***tes! :11doh:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I used to drive an average of 750,000 miles per year on motor ways(yes seven hundred and fifty thousand miles per year,thats three quarters of a million)

2054 miles per day if you drive 365 days a year and an average of 85 miles per hour if you were driving 24 hours a day for those 365 days a year.

Err, one of us has their figures wrong somewhere along the lines.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
2054 miles per day if you drive 365 days a year and an average of 85 miles per hour if you were driving 24 hours a day for those 365 days a year.

Err, one of us has their figures wrong somewhere along the lines.

Err,read the whole thread.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> I've discovered a wonderful toy for tailgaters... Take as long as you humanly can to change lanes. It seems to turn them an odd purple?

They don't like it when you slow down either:drive:

In one of my old cars I had an odd press switch on the dashboard that lit the brake lights for some reason. It was great for putting the wind up tailgaters.

I saw some great clouds of tire smoke from them as I hit the button with them just behind me doing 70+

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Please to be explaining?
Driving to antagonise, faking break lights, slowing down to a crawl to annoy the eejit that's tailgating you. speeding up to prevent an undertake manoeuvre. Things like that.

All driving defensively. I've done some myself in the past. It's very easy to let emotion cloud judgement. Best just to pull over safely and let the prat go ruin someone else's day. Having kids in the car means I don't play games anymore.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Dude what you have described is just bad driving, defensive driving is all about situational awareness, preempting the actions of others, watching the traffic and road conditions, judging the ability of others by there actions in front and behind you, in its simplest form it what you should be doing on the road at all times. So you can get out of trouble before your even near it. It has nothing to do with antagonising others on the road.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Dude what you have described is just bad driving, defensive driving is all about situational awareness, preempting the actions of others, watching the traffic and road conditions, judging the ability of others by there actions in front and behind you, in its simplest form it what you should be doing on the road at all times. So you can get out of trouble before your even near it. It has nothing to do with antagonising others on the road.

Quite right.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Around here there seems to be several people that got their licences in a lucky dip. They can be spotted doing 40mph in 60 zones, 30mph in 40 zones and 45 mph in 30 zones. It seems that their indicators are broken much of the time too. Quite possible they need glasses as well, as at times they seem to be very close to other traffic or pull out into traffic without apparently seeing the on coming cars...

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

I used the wrong terminology but the point remains value. changing lanes really slowly or cutting up a middle lane driver to prove a point is bad driving.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Driving defensively is illegal and just as likely to cause accidents as driving aggressively.

You must mean something different from what I mean when you talk about driving defensively. I do that all the time, and I've been coached on it for many hours both in the classroom and on the road by serving police officers. Most of my time on the road is riding a motor bike, and on a motor bike you're very vulnerable. If a bike is involved in any way at all in almost any kind of incident, it doesn't usually matter who made the mistake. Generally speaking it's the bike rider that gets hurt. If I hadn't learned fairly early on to drive defensively, then by now I'd have been killed several times. Mostly by people driving cars, but occasionally a lorry and even the odd bus. Never a bike, which seems odd (because some of the worst drivers on the road are riding bikes) until you realize that it's just a numbers game. There are more cars on the road doing more miles than anything else, that's all. Everybody makes mistakes, but fortunately most of the time the mistakes aren't fatal. Most of the time, they don't even have any real consequences except perhaps a quick burst of adrenalin. I'll come to that later. But the more mistakes that are made, the greater are the chances that there will be consequences from one of them.

So to me, driving defensively just means reducing the chances that mistakes will happen and that when they do happen, the consequences are less serious than they might otherwise have been. For example when I'm driving I'm always reading the road, the traffic and the conditions so as to assess where the next incident is going to take place, and then trying to be somewhere else at the time. If there are bumper-to-bumper queues of traffic in lanes two and three on the motorway, then I'm probably in lane one.

I've been disappointed by some of the comments in this thread, which have seemed to me to betray a poor attitude to road safety. Driving on the roads is the most dangerous thing you can do in peacetime (well, apart from flying in the space shuttle which is in orbit for the last time as I write). Deliberately doing things to irritate other drivers is calculated to raise the temperature and increase the probability that a mistake will be made. Even if I'm not on a bike I don't want to be involved in anything like that. It only takes one mistake to ruin the rest of (or end) your life, or someone else's life.

I said I'd get back to adrenalin.

There is a well-known response in the human body when unexpected things happen. It's called "preparation for fight or flight". It is the result of the evolution of our species in a dangerous place. For millions of years, when something unexpected happened to us (and our ancestors) it usually meant that urgent action was required, simply to ensure our survival. Using its sensory inputs, the brain notices the unexpected thing, and we immediately get that sinking feeling in the pit of our stomach. That's what's known as an adrenalin rush. It's designed to allow us briefly to get the most from our muscles to protect ourselves from whatever danger has befallen us. The muscles perform better with the adrenalin boost, and we can ignore pain more easily. We can run away faster or fight the foe more robustly. When we use our muscles to do those things, the adrenalin is consumed, and that's the end of it.

Fast forward to the age of the mechanically propelled vehicle. Now, unfortunately, if we're driving, that's not the end of it. When we're driving, unexpected things happen. As I said, it's just about the most dangerous thing we can do in peacetime. Deep down at some primeval level, the brain knows that. When unexpected things happen, the brain pumps us up with adrenalin, just like it's been programmed to do by millions of years of evolution. But our muscles aren't doing anything. We're just sitting there. The muscles aren't burning up energy, they aren't burning up the adrenalin, and the result is that the blood stream fills up with an obnoxious soup of chemicals which should be being burned off by muscular exertion, but isn't. The more unexpected things happen, the more the soup in the blood builds up.

This build up of chemicals has undesirable side effects. It affects our brains. It is responsible for our disproportionate reactions to the things which happen on the road. In some people it is extreme, and the well-known 'red mist' is the very dangerous result. Whether you suffer from red mist or not, when you can recognize what's happening, and take precautions to avoid it, you will be a much safer driver. Taking precautions to avoid it just means knowing what's going to happen before it does. That just means giving yourself time to read what's going on around you, instead of piling into situations which might turn out to be recoverable and might not. Then there are no surprises, no adrenalin rushes, and you'll get to where you're going in a serene state of mind instead of getting there in a foul temper -- or perhaps not getting there at all.

Take care, it's a jungle out there.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I was referring to defending your position on the road against an aggressive driver

Nope. That's perfectly legitimate too, and it's been part of my training, and I've complimented serving officers on handling situations I've seen develop around them when they've done exactly that. It's amazing to see how drivers treat someone on a motorcycle who is doing 30mph in a 30mph zone when they don't know that the motorcyclist is a police officer because he's on his own bike in his civvy gear. You just know they'd never do that if the guy was on a marked bike.

If an aggressive driver presents a potential hazard, and there's nowhere else for you to go, then you have no alternative but to take control of the situation. If you can just get out of there it will usually be a better alternative, but sometimes there is no alternative. I'm not talking about treating aggression with aggression, or pointlessly irritating people who are already on the edge. Mostly I'm talking about giving out information. If somebody gets pushy with me on the road, the information I give lets them know that I'm in control. Not out of control.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Here's something that ground my gears this week. On my way into work I go through a village that has a 20mph limit for a good half mile or so. I was on two occasions this week overtaken here, despite being sat spot on the limit. Both times the morons involved overtook as we were going past a clearly sign posted school. It beggars belief that people can be so stupid. There was some interesting language used by my passenger to describe this idiocy I can tell you!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Possibly not strictly advisable but it often works - if being tailgated, give your windscreen a really good wash. The kind of people who tailgate tend to be the kind of people who don't want your screenwash all over their shiny Audi :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE