Middle Lane Drivers - bit of a rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nope. That's perfectly legitimate too, and it's been part of my toraining, and I've complimented serving officers on handling situations I've seen develop around them when they've done exactly that. It's amazing to see how drivers treat someone on a motorcycle who is doing 30mph in a 30mph zone when they don't know that the motorcyclist is a police officer because he's on his own bike in his civvy gear. You just know they'd never do that if the guy was on a marked bike.

If an aggressive driver presents a potential hazard, and there's nowhere else for you to go, then you have no alternative but to take control of the situation. If you can just get out of there it will usually be a better alternative, but sometimes there is no alternative. I'm not talking about treating aggression with aggression, or pointlessly irritating people who are already on the edge. Mostly I'm talking about giving out information. If somebody gets pushy with me on the road, the information I give lets them know that I'm in control. Not out of control.

It sounds like you're misleading my post. Did you read the entire thing? slowing down to annoy a tailgater or even moving over really slowly is bad driving. The aggressor is driving badly but so is the driver who is defending his right to be on the road. It semantics.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reply to Ronnie,

Love it :D

Next time some blighter tailgates me when I'm doing (not saying on forum, but Russ says I've got wee feet but they're made of lead :eek:) as I'm overtaking in the outside lane and he's so close he's just about sooking my tailpipe, and I can't safely get into the middle lane, I'm going to try that one :D It's usually some tube who hates the thought of a wee woman in a wee car getting in *his* way :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Slowing down when being tailgated is a technique that is advised. The rationale is that it allows you to break slowly and progressively rather than sharply and thereby getting rear ended. A consequence might be an emotional response from the tail gater, but the technique is both correct, logical and indeed advisable to avoid a large accident.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
IIRC from the RTA, section 33 is about careless driving and section 34 is dangerous driving. Undertaking is classed as careless but the police will use 34 to take your license from you but surely they could use 33 for the middle lane hoggers. After all, points on their license will sharpen them up about the middle lane quick enough

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I often drop down a gear if tailgated at 30mph and my car is not warmed up yet. Gives them a nice waft of Diesel fumes, works a treat!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Slowing down when being tailgated is a technique that is advised. The rationale is that it allows you to break slowly and progressively rather than sharply and thereby getting rear ended. A consequence might be an emotional response from the tail gater, but the technique is both correct, logical and indeed advisable to avoid a large accident.
even when pulling over is an option?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE